MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee C225-55-RF

I give the new mold a good cleaning and fired up the pot . Had a lot of culls but its learning a new mold , finally got in a rhythm of dropping good boolits . I have to hone out the mouth of the top punch as its leaving a noticeable mark on the boolits . I loaded 2 up with 4.2 gr. of Unique and they fit the T/C's chamber fairly snug , but still closed and good lockup . Just need to get to the range

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Asleep View Post
    I have tried about 20 different 22 cal molds from all manufacturers and find the Lee 55 is the only one one sub MOA in my Cooper 38 22 hornet. I load this over a full case of AA 2200 powder.
    What rifling twist and what velocity do you use? If I could get MOA in my bolt .223 I might try it. I'd want to shoot out to 300yd with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    What rifling twist and what velocity do you use? If I could get MOA in my bolt .223 I might try it. I'd want to shoot out to 300yd with it.
    I have found that 300 yards is pushing it with the RF profile. I have rifles that are 1-9, 1-10, 1-12, and an AR pistol that is 1-7" In the grand scheme of things, my NOE 255-62 RN endures greater distance, particularly in the 1-12". When shooting cast in a rifle, I have found the delicate balancing act of velocity and RPMs. Faster stabilizes heavier and all of that.

Mainly, I shoot shorter distances, but my loads for the 1-7" pistol is 25 to 50 yards. 300 yards? I'm thinking (cough, cough) factory might be your thing.

I have some lathe-turned, HPBT 55 gr copper bullets loaded for distance, just not tested beyond 125 yards, range limits distance. I have also loaded some copper sintered bullets, just because they were cheap at the time. I prefer my cast rounds, and basically kill tin cans. I just can't move them further out than 125 due to the only 'approved' shooting area is limited, at least where I am 'quarantined' for now. I would love to get back to the Ft. Carson range again, and enjoy the expansive area. I just hate paying range fees.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    brnomauser

I have used this boolit in my .222 Rem using 12 gr of 2400 and also 14 gr of 4227 ( I think) . This design is ok in the .222, but I liked the old Bator design better as it is a better killer on prairie dogs - larger meplat, I'm guessing. The nose issue never was a problem for me in the 788 Remington I was using. I never tried the 4895 load; hope it works well in your rifle. Let us know!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

NIB R700,ADL 223. Put in a Timney 510 trigger,bedded and stiffened factory sporter tupperware stock,3-12,3200 Elite Bushnell. 19g H4198,no turn necks,as cast diameter,only sizing GC,hand lube just above GC with 3N1(beeswax/vaseline). Loaded to a medium jam,see the ring on first,or top drive band. Nose dimensions and overall,as cast roundness is deadnuts. Haven't chrono'd but is probably 2600'ish. It shoots bugholes @100. Only issue is wind. The 22's cast,really suffer here. And IME,you can skip the 6mm's in bad conditions and move to 7mm for wind. Good luck with your project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200411-024613_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	262142

Boolit Master
    What alloy?

Banned

ya I ran them coated and checked at about 2700-2800 casted hard ( 5050 ww/lino) and they didn't impress me. Minute of coffee can at 50 yards. Good enough to load your gun up with at the range and lets someone dump a mag or someone that just wants to hear it go bang or even to shoot steel at 25 and 50 yards for practice but pretty dismal at a 100 yards for serious work. I didn't try them in all my ars. Just one 16 inch gun and one 8.5. They did seem to run just fine in both of them. Ive got a coffee can of them loaded I keep meaning to take to the range to at least get my brass back. ill keep the mold though. S ever hits the fan and a guy cant get anymore bullets at least you could still make your gun go bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I've used them in an AR and they shot and cycled fine. I didn't get the accuracy I wanted but I believe I was pushing them too fast. They worked well, but I gave up shooting cast in that rifle. (gave it to my son,and haven't gotten around to trying them in my Rem 700)

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got the mould ages ago, but finally cast some on the weekend. Still needing to pick up a reamer to make a sizer die so just tumble lubed in LLA and shot as cast from straight clip on WW (0.225” mostly) with no gas check. First time I’ve done it like this. Had a poor run yesterday using 4gr AS30N with multiple wild fliers bringing groups out to 4” at 50y.

Had a better morning though - thoroughly cleaned the barrel (can’t remember when I last used solvent in it, may have been a little copper left over). Couple of fouling shots and 3.5gr was grouping at max 1.3” at 50y (3 shot group and 4 shot). It was blowing a gale by the end so I’m happy enough with this load for rabbits round the house/sheds, plinking and for TYB to start on. Shame the price of Primers have made this not quite so cheap to shoot...

No idea about velocity, but it’d be very low - feels and sounds like regular 22LR. Mauser 4000 1:12 twist.

Just need to make a sizing die to put some gas checks on and proper lube then can try some medium loads, but I got a good deal
    On a good quantity of 40gr vmax so not too fussed about hotter cast loads right now

Last edited by brnomauser; 01-25-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has one of the Win Low Walls in 22 Hornet from a few years ago, looks like the twist is 1-16". Any chance these would work in the Low Wall?

Boolit Buddy
    conventional wisdom says that might be a bit slow. Maybe a member in the US could mail you a handful of samples to try before buying the mould?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12