WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee C225-55-RF

Boolit Buddy

Lee C225-55-RF

Just wondering if anyone’s using these at the moment? I’ve read about issues with them having large (like 223) noses, was this just a batch or are they all like that? Wanting a Mold for my 222 Mauser 4000 and a 6 gang lee ticks a few boxes...

I have this Lee 6 hole Gang mold (C225-55-RF) you are talking about. It has a flat meplate and seems to work OK in my bolt rifle chambered in 223 Rem. Don't know about using in gas operated auto loaders.

I cast them from wheel weights and my friend powder coats them and we share the finished product. No gas checks are used. The velocity is kept down.

I have also loaded them in 308 Win and 30-06 by using a plastic sabot purchased on-line. Work fine for plinking and hunting varmints.

10 pounds of lead makes a lot of the little buggers.
    smilin jack

Boolit Man
    I powder coat them and use them in AR ‘ s with 2400. 15 grains cycle a carbine length gas system and the kiddos use them up fast. No gas check and range lead thru wheel weights. So far no leading of gas system.
    I haven’t used them much past 50 yards. As the back yard range is limited. And we all hit what we’re aiming at.

I have similar results. Range lead powder coated and sized to.225" loaded with NO gas check in mixed range brass with 19gr of H335 for 2050fps in my S&W M&P15 sport AR
    The load will kill clays and pop cans at 60-70 yards, cycle the action and hold the bolt back on the last round. Cheap fun shooting.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I've used them in an AR and they shot and cycled fine. I didn't get the accuracy I wanted but I believe I was pushing them too fast. They worked well, but I gave up shooting cast in that rifle. (gave it to my son,and haven't gotten around to trying them in my Rem 700)

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, sounds pretty good for what I want. Bolt action short to medium (less than 100y) range rabbits and plinking. Rifle is a bolt action, don’t need match grade accuracy... was just worried about having to seat them way in if they have a large nose

Boolit Master
    Whats the twist on that bolt action? If its 1/9 to 1/14, the light weight should be fine. If you are shooting anything faster twisted, say 1/9 to 1/7, shoot them slower or something heavier might be better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I have similar results. Range lead powder coated and sized to.225" loaded with NO gas check in mixed range brass with 19gr of H335 for 2050fps in my S&W M&P15 sport AR
    The load will kill clays and pop cans at 60-70 yards, cycle the action and hold the bolt back on the last round. Cheap fun shooting.
    What he said ^^^^. I have a WW CF1 and it loves this recipe!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty sure my barrels 1:14 but should double check...

Boolit Master

I have both the 2 cavity and six cavity models and both through bullets that work just fine in all my 223's. I size to 225.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    This is my exact load as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I just might have to give this boolit a try. Never casted for a rifle and it's good to hear that gas checks are not mandatory 'cause I don't want to fool with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried about 20 different 22 cal molds from all manufacturers and find the Lee 55 is the only one one sub MOA in my Cooper 38 22 hornet. I load this over a full case of AA 2200 powder.

Boolit Master
    Just finished casting 500 plus, 225 55gr Lee six banger. My alloy is straight COWW with about 3 oz of pewter (Tin) in a 10 # Lee bottom pour pot. I probably have at least a 10 percent reject. This is a new mold that I've had for about a year. Washed it with Ajax and then dish soap, it started making good boolits right off. As for the nose it seams to be a clone of the RCBS 55 gr. 223 boolit. I will be loading it in front of 8gr unique for my TC super 14 223. I've had good luck with this load using my 55gr Lyman two cavity mold.

Boolit Master
    Lee has made two versions of this mold. The older version is the Bator soup-can mold with the wide me plat that drops from my mold at 53 gr. My 22 Hornet and my 222 Contender pistol love that boolit at velocities around 15-1700 fps. The more recent version is more of a semi-point with a smaller me plat which is preferred by my 223 bolt rifles at higher velocities around 1900-2100 fps. Haven't tried either in a semi-auto.

I have the mold as well and try to drop 1k each session and PC them after casting. I too am a member of the "19gr of H335" club, no GC, size to .225 for my BCA AR and Mini-14 with an Accuracy Systems barrel.

Great plinking boolits with so-so accuracy and with about 125 of them per pound of lead, they average $0.008 each as dropped if I have to purchase lead. A much better deal than the average price I am finding for FMJ at $0.10 each.

I've been following this and other .223 threads. Getting excited. I just put in an order for everything for casting .223 from Titan this morning. Lee 6-cavity mold, handles, sizer, and gas checks. The Lee push through sizing die is back ordered so I'm having them hold till it arrives. Going to powder coat and try with and without gas checks. Loading for a Contender and a couple AR's. Mostly looking for cheap plinking ammo. Glad to see this bullet works.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I’ll probably end up getting it, just wanted to check they’ll stabilise in my 1:14 barrel so someone’s sending me some samples. Just thinking about load data - I’ve got ADI 2206H (this is sold in the US as H4895) and AS30N (equivalent to red dot). I was thinking of starting at 14.1gr of h4895 (60% of max) and working up for a medium pressure load and 4gr of AS30N for a short range/plinker?

Boolit Master

I use that mold and bullet with gas checks in my S&W M&P II Sport AR, with 20 gr H4895. You can download this stick powder about 40% as I recall from conversation with Hodgdon. I don't believe that is recommended with H335. I'm also using standard CCI small rifle primers and OAL = 2.100. My records show I was getting about 2000 fps with this load. Good load for steel at 25 yards that doesn't beat up the targets but still runs the action.

Just got this mold in a 2 cavity the, box was sitting in front of the door yesterday. Looking to run these in my 10" T/C Hornet . Its one of the new barrels and it shoots 55gr Hornadys pretty good . I got a G top punch that looked close , 225 H&I , and 1K Gator checks so hopefully I can get some range time soon . You can still Turkey hunt and fish public land in Va. but all the National Forest Ranges are closed .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast