Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Deer Killers?

Boolit Master

Multiple Deer Killers?

We been having a bunch of trouble with so many deers eating up all the crops (soy beans, corn and apples). So, over the last 10 years or so, when we see a bunch of them out in the fields, we hitch Nelly, our old mare, up to the Gatling Gun that I got out of my great grandfather's barn, pull it out to the edge of the field and let the children shoot them deer. I also got one of those Thompson guns my grandfather had for shooting bandits back in the 20's and 30's. So, what is your favorite gun to use on those low down, good for nuthing, durty rotten herd animals that eat everything on your farm?
    Last edited by DonMountain; 05-03-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Over the years I have deer hunted with several different rifle/handgun calibers, and found some of them more apt to kill more than one deer with one shot. Starting out in the last century with a 243 using jacketed bullets, it didn't take me long to figure out that any deflection of the bullet, including by a rib, resulted in a non kill. Moving up to a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser shooting 129 grain Hornady bullets, almost always resulted in a killed deer on the spot, and occasionally two deer. On the other end of the spectrum, the 45-70 and 500 grain cast projectiles often killed two or three deer. So, what is your experience?
    if you wait for a clear shot with nobody on the other side you will always kill one deer. remember the golden rule (make sure of your target and beyond)

Don't shoot deer in a group unless you have lots of tags. Seriously, even a .223 will shoot through a deer's chest- you should check behind your target always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

resulted in a killed deer on the spot, and occasionally two deer.
    Yeah, that would be illegal here in Ohio.
    ...but yeah, I'm sure the 45-70 was made to go through one bison.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    With out a doubt poor shot placement. My buddies have harvested dozens of huge WI wall hangers with 243’s all with passthroughs. Quite a few dropped in there tracks. Same poor shot placement with shooting trough multiple animals with one shot. Bad sportsmanship IMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    With out a doubt poor shot placement. Bad sportsmanship IMO.
    Wow! Things must be really different for us here in the MidWest. I worked on a combine crew for a farmer in SouthWest Iowa that cropped 16,000 acres of corn and soybeans. I ran a tractor (4-wheel-drive with duals on all four wheels) pulling a 1200 bushel grain cart. And the farmer handed out brand new 9mm handguns (I took it out of the box, and he had a case of them), and he told us when we got to the middle of the section (640 acres, a square mile) he told us to stop and shoot as many of them as possible as the two combines finished up the center and chased out all the deer. Deer were considered varmints there and to kill all of them we could, or at least wound them so they will die.

You didn’t stipulate that you were depredation shooting in your OP. If the farmer had the permits. If he didn’t -you were poaching. What response were you expecting here? Are you dragging a baited hook behind the boat, perhaps? I’m out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow! Things must be really different for us here in the MidWest. I worked on a combine crew for a farmer in SouthWest Iowa that cropped 16,000 acres of corn and soybeans. I ran a tractor (4-wheel-drive with duals on all four wheels) pulling a 1200 bushel grain cart. And the farmer handed out brand new 9mm handguns (I took it out of the box, and he had a case of them), and he told us when we got to the middle of the section (640 acres, a square mile) he told us to stop and shoot as many of them as possible as the two combines finished up the center and chased out all the deer. Deer were considered varmints there and to kill all of them we could, or at least wound them so they will die.
    there is a difference between killing and hunting
    sounds like your farmer wanted them kilt cared less about the animals
    not my cup of tea might be if he can't take the loss he's in the wrong business
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

I have to seriously question the legality of that. I grew up in S.C., which I believe has the longest seasons and most liberal bag limits on deer of any state and that wouldn't have flown there even 40 years ago. Legal or not, I don't think I'd be talking about having done it.

If you're out there deliberately looking for ways to kill multiple deer with one shot, you shouldn't be "hunting".

Boolit Grand Master

This thread has all the markings of a serious troll thread or a satire thread. For now I am leaving it at that.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The very first deer I shot when I was a kid was a two bagger. Out of state, buck only. I had an old #8 Rem 35cal. and had buck fever. The older guys had been getting there deer all week and time was running out. I was 13 and they planted me on a stand and I had to stay there. I hadn’t seen a deer all week. A bunch ran down and stopped right in front of me. I beaded buck a small 6pt and touched him off. The slug went through him and hit a doe right in the guts. Buck went down deader than a clam, doe was flopping and bleating. I ran up and shot it in the head. I figured my deer hunting days were over but I was cut some slack and deer was given to a local to tag. I got a serious talking to and a serious dislike for stand hunting.

Boolit Master

I do not see it as a troll thread , he stated what his experiences were , right or wrong is not my call , I have seen a 50 caliber thompson center muzzle loader shoot through a elk and kill one on the other side that was not visible to the hunter , the pair of us had been shooting them all year and I had mentioned the maxi would not stop inside , was tagged and eaten .

Boolit Master
    I am not attempting to produce a "troll" like thread. Although now as I read back through it the line of questioning could very easily go in that direction. When I was working for that farmer, I didn't think much of his idea either in carrying a 9mm pistol for deer depredation. I preferred to wait until deer season and, using my proper permits, shoot only the deer I had permits for. Besides the fact I didn't think it was safe with all the machinery moving around. But, over the years I have shot a deer and had the bullet deflect through the deer in an unexpected direction and kill another deer apparently standing immediately in front of or behind the deer I was aiming for. When in fact the deer were behind and to the side of the deer I shot, getting hit by the deflected projectile. I wasn't attempting to hit multiple deer. Although here in Missouri on my farm where I grow soy beans and corn, we each get at least 3 free deer permits every year. And we can't possibly eat that many. So, sometimes I take a chance when the deer are too close together.

Boolit Master
    I don't claim to know the OP's intentions in starting this thread, boredom, stupidity, provocation or an honest assessment of what can shoot through multiple game animals. I know I cannot attempt this in Ohio and stay away from the situation at all costs.

I will answer what another poster said above though when he made the comments 'might be if he can't take the loss he's in the wrong business'. I knew an orchard man years ago that was losing many trees and a large portion of his crop to the huge deer herd in the eastern part of the state. He solicited the state for depredation permits, that weren't given out too often back then. A state biologist said to him that he 'could lose 20% of his crop to the deer without any problem' and wouldn't grant him a permit. How many of us can sustain a 20% wage decrease year in and year out? I don's suspect the biologist would have accepted that line of reasoning if it were his livelihood on the line. The orchard grower invested in a deer fence around his property, which was a substantial cost in an of itself.
    Point is, there are some places where the herd has over populated and causes many nuisance damage issues. Let's not be so quick to condemn those in locals that are not like our own. My state has relaxed its stance on permits since then.

Boolit Master
    The Old Mission Peninsula in Grand Traverse Co. Michigan used to be one of the major cherry growing areas in the country. Lots of deer in Grand Traverse County, but none on the Peninsula. In later years I heard rumors that farmers with larger orchards shot every deer they saw on the peninsula. Even to this day there are very few deer on the peninsula. Fewer cherry trees too.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the years I have deer hunted with several different rifle/handgun calibers, and found some of them more apt to kill more than one deer with one shot. Starting out in the last century with a 243 using jacketed bullets, it didn't take me long to figure out that any deflection of the bullet, including by a rib, resulted in a non kill. Moving up to a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser shooting 129 grain Hornady bullets, almost always resulted in a killed deer on the spot, and occasionally two deer. On the other end of the spectrum, the 45-70 and 500 grain cast projectiles often killed two or three deer. So, what is your experience?
    OP edited the above to this.

We been having a bunch of trouble with so many deers eating up all the crops (soy beans, corn and apples). So, over the last 10 years or so, when we see a bunch of them out in the fields, we hitch Nelly, our old mare, up to the Gatling Gun that I got out of my great grandfather's barn, pull it out to the edge of the field and let the children shoot them deer. I also got one of those Thompson guns my grandfather had for shooting bandits back in the 20's and 30's. So, what is your favorite gun to use on those low down, good for nuthing, durty rotten herd animals that eat everything on your farm?
    Tell us again that you are not trolling????????? Of maybe Don is auditioning for slob hunter of the Century???????????

I don't know the the OP is doing or why but the OP is portraying himself in a very poor manor. This reflects poorly on the shooting community in general.

But, over the years I have shot a deer and had the bullet deflect through the deer in an unexpected direction and kill another deer apparently standing immediately in front of or behind the deer I was aiming for. When in fact the deer were behind and to the side of the deer I shot, getting hit by the deflected projectile. I wasn't attempting to hit multiple deer. Although here in Missouri on my farm where I grow soy beans and corn, we each get at least 3 free deer permits every year. And we can't possibly eat that many. So, sometimes I take a chance when the deer are too close together.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Most of the farmers around here don't have a problem with deer. THEY LEASE OUT DEER HUNTING FOR PROFIT...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    OP edited the above to this.

Tell us again that you are not trolling????????? Of maybe Don is auditioning for slob hunter of the Century???????????

I don't know the the OP is doing or why but the OP is portraying himself in a very poor manor. This reflects poorly on the shooting community in general.
    Now we know his motivation. He is just a provocour trying to arouse trouble. Best if his kind are removed from our fair group, in my humble opinion.

Boolit Master

Or did he post that tongue in cheek after the trolling comments , seems he makes posts in other sub forums here about shooting and loading cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    The Old Mission Peninsula in Grand Traverse Co. Michigan used to be one of the major cherry growing areas in the country. Lots of deer in Grand Traverse County, but none on the Peninsula. In later years I heard rumors that farmers with larger orchards shot every deer they saw on the peninsula. Even to this day there are very few deer on the peninsula. Fewer cherry trees too.
    Wife and I traveled to Michigan last summer and drove up to the Old Mission Peninsula, beautiful place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast