Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: price difference cause

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

price difference cause

If well known Company A, lists the same air gauge specs, stress relief, etc., as equally well known Company B, but company A is $100 less expensive, what is the cause for the difference? Customer support is the same. Reading the reviews of each company would lead one to believe the end result is comparable for both company's barrels.

Also, is there a detectable difference in shooting accuracy between SS and CM? If not why would one be preferred over the other?
    Last edited by roysha; 05-02-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

There can be several reasons for the cost differences. wages, benefits, standard costs ( heat, rent, taxes, electric ect ect) transportation. Another big reason is the technologies used to produce the barrels. Newer deep hole drills (cnc) are faster and more accurate same with rifling machines. Also the type of rifling is a factor, broached, hammer forged, cut ect. Hand lapped machine lapped or as cut. All of the above are factors in cost of a barrel. And while not always admitted you may pay for reputation on the company. IE back in the 60s and 70s the barrel to have was Hart. The rate of production of a maker also a direct factor. 10-20 barrels a day the costs are more per barrel than a 50-60 a day rate.

Boolit Grand Master

As to SS and CM materials I find slightly better life wit SS. The big difference is how they season and come up to best accuracy. CM tends to come up more gradually and drop more gradually. SS is a more abrupt up and down. making it easier to know when its time to rebarrel. SS is possibly a better foul weather material. CM is easier to get the fine smooth finishes.

There is college level marketing courses that get into the long version of explaining that.

A shorter version is that it has a lot to do with name recognition.
    You can get that with advertising, and sponsoring your product to people that win stuff with it.

In a perfect world, and all things being equal:
    Having your company's name in the winner's circle will do wonders for your sales---
    even if your product is more expensive that the competition.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

A lot also has to do with peoples egos. People won't admit they paid twice as much for the identical product except for nameplate. I remember selling sewing machines in the 1960's. The machines came from Japan and included a half dozen different nameplates. We would attach the plate for whatever 'brand' the customer ordered.

Possibly company "B" has more astute managers and has figured out how to be more efficient than company "A".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    If well known Company A, lists the same air gauge specs, stress relief, etc., as equally well known Company B, but company A is $100 less expensive, what is the cause for the difference? Customer support is the same. Reading the reviews of each company would lead one to believe the end result is comparable for both company's barrels.

Also, is there a detectable difference in shooting accuracy between SS and CM? If not why would one be preferred over the other?
    No two companies are equal. How many reviews and who did them. Are we talking competition barrels? No two barrels are equal even from the same vendor. If we are talking competition, get more than one and test them. One might be a stand out.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Good old ask whatever the market can bear or cater to it costs more it must be better crowd , to a more efficient process or bought the materials cheaper or labor costs , hard to say .

Ask about the brand you are looking at and see what people who use them say. If well known company is that much cheaper and you trust the reviews , then buy from them .

Banned
    I will relate something about Krieger barrels. Krieger is arguably the top barrel maker in the country, at least they are in the top 3. 20 years ago a friend and I bought a Krieger of the exact caliber and twist. I chambered mine, he had his smith chamber his. Both of these barrels copper fouled horribly. We spent days attempting to "break them in" so we could use them in matches. I took mine off, got a barrel from different maker, same caliber and twist, same reamer, and it shot great. It was 10 years before I got another Krieger, and it was fine and I had many from then on. Last year, Brunos had a sale of Kriegers, I bought one, 6MM 13.5 twist, chambered it with the same PPC reamer I've had for years. A flash from the past, it copper fouls BAD. So what's the story here? I have had a barrel from every top maker in this country. Most are fine and shoot great. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't group as well as you need it to. Some are cheaper price, some are top price, but it doesn't necessarily mean you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    To quote the movie Tommy Boy, a guarantee on the box only guarantees that its a guaranteed turd in the box.
    Barrel makers survive on reputation, reputation, reputation and certain makers also flourish in certain disciplines.
    Shilen probably has more benchrest records than any other maker but Krieger ruled the roost for Highpower and FTR for years.
    Newer barrel makers have come up and produce a good product too but may have lower prices to try to get their name out.
    Pick a good maker that has a good reputation and stands behind the product. Like stated before even a top notch company like Krieger puts out a guaranteed turd every now and then.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125