Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger No 3 Rebarrel

Boolit Master

Ruger No 3 Rebarrel

Didn't want to hijack the thread on customizing Ruger No 1 so posted new. I have a Ruger No 3 that was re-chambered from 30/40 Krag to 30/40 AI and while I really like the rifle would prefer the original Krag for its longer neck reduced capacity versus the AI. If I found a No 3 30/40 barrel has anyone had any experience with swapping barrels on the No 3 (assume No 1 would be the same).

Boolit Master
    I changed barrels on my friends No.3, .375win to 30-40 Krag, the threads did not time with the action, had to time the barrel by cutting it back setting the head space, facing the barrel and running a finish reamer to set the depth of the rim
    you may get lucky and have the barrel screw on to the right place, No.1 barrels usually have a different profile, and fitting the fore end will be required, unless you get the forend with the barrel

not sure but Douglas Barrel Co., in the past would set the barrel up for you and short chamber it, you had to finish it
    working around the strut on the action was the hardest part for me
    any questions ask
    HTH

I cannot answer your re-barreling question, but suggest that you might want to consider firing .30-40 ammo in the AI chamber, then (if you reload) resize the fire-formed cases back down to .30-40 specs. so you can avoid the cost/labor of re-barreling..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I reload for the 30/40 AI now using brass fire-formed from regular 30/30 brass. Unfortunately the reamer used has the shoulder a good bit forward from the original position and the neck is shortened to about 30/06 length. Case capacity is midway between 308 Win and 30/06. Want a longer neck to load bullets heavier than 170ish grain without putting the gas check below the neck. If my plan won't work the rifle is still shootable. Bought it used at a good price, previous owner had restocked it with a full pistol grip butt stock and reshaped forend so it is easier to use than original stock configuration. Topped it with a Leupold 1 3/4-5X in Ruger mounts and can't complain about handling or accuracy, just itching for the origanal Krag chambering.

Boolit Master
    You might get lucky and have it index properly. If not any decent gunsmith can make it work, which may require a bit of lathe work. If you are just wanting to use heavier bullets, have it throated for them. Much easier and less expensive.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    You might get lucky and have it index properly. If not any decent gunsmith can make it work, which may require a bit of lathe work. If you are just wanting to use heavier bullets, have it throated for them. Much easier and less expensive.
    Ha! Depending on who you talk to, re-barreling a Ruger single shot is like black magic...
    (Just kidding, Lyn knows who I talk about.)

Boolit Master
    Okay, got the barrel. Excellent or better, a few very tiny marks outside and looks new inside. Now have to find a smith, local shop doesn't do the Ruger single shot. Have found a few references to smiths but checking their web pages looks like they do custom work as opposed to something simple like I need. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I rebarreled my Ruger #1 and it was easy. The barrel I installed was a heavy Winchester Model 70 barrel in 308 caliber. I put the barrel in the lathe, cut off the chamber and reamed a new chamber in 30-30. No other work was needed. It shoots very well.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN