Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Lewis Lead Remover vs Frontier Metal Cleaner

Boolit Master

Lewis Lead Remover vs Frontier Metal Cleaner

I bought both last week, the Lewis Lead Remover on recommendations here, the Frontier just because I saw it on Amazon.

Everyone knows about the Lewis Lead Remover so I won’t describe it other than to say it did a good job on a forcing cone for me and a passable job on a bore.

Frontier metal cleaner looks like coarse steel wool but is advertised as being softer than bluing. I guess it’s maybe zinc, don’t really know. But, I wrapped a bit of it around an old undersized brush and ran it through the barrel I’d cleaned with the LLR followed by Butch’s Bore Cleaner and got out a bunch more junk. I then tried it on a model 10 that I didn’t know I owned and that was filthy. Ran it through the bore 10 times, ran a couple wet patches through, dry patch and it was perfect. Did the same with the cylinder, quick and easy all clean.

Anyone use this stuff, have any bad experiences?

Thanks
    Jim

Moderator Emeritus

I use both. Unaware that Amazon purveyed the Frontier, I purchase mine from Buffalo Arms. Frankly, I love the stuff, and have (to my old, weary eyes) not seen anything "bad", or harm done from using this product. I add Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth to my lead removal arsenal, too. (And then, to be really OCD -- I use D-Lead soap on "me".) BEST!
    geo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead rmvr clth.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	261446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontier.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	261447

Boolit Master
    I got turned onto the Frontier while trying to salvage a Muzzleloader’s rusted bore. From there I use it now in application to chore boy bore cleaning for leading.

Yep a couple of short strands on an old bore brush does wonders. As for bluing, I cleaned up a couple of blued rifle barrels with no harm to the barrels

Boolit Master
    I was playing with it today and found that it’s magnetic. I wonder if it’s some form of stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I was playing with it today and found that it’s magnetic. I wonder if it’s some form of stainless steel.
    See if it rusts like those copper colored scrubbies from the grocery store.
    It'll tell you if its Stainless or not.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

The coils are composed of a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-02-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I made my own from brass pipe screens and jags.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    See if it rusts like those copper colored scrubbies from the grocery store.
    It'll tell you if its Stainless or not.
    Actual Chore Boy brand are copper. A lot of the cheaper scrubbies are copper plated steel.

https://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/ch...-scouring-pads

Chore Boy® Ultimate Copper Scrubbers are created with pure copper using the latest machine knit procedures.

Back to the difference better the Lewis Lead Remover and the Frontier Big 45 I have never compared the two in a head to head. Used the Lewis a lot in the 70's and 80's but mostly figured out the leading issues and for the limited leading I have BoreTech Eliminator coupled with Wipe Out leader remover https://sharpshootr.com/no-lead/ I have not used the Lewis, Chore Boy or the Frontier product on lead. I have used the Frontier product on Rust. It works well with no issues.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-02-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

The coils are composed of a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc.
    Thanks.

So far I’m liking it, having it prompted me to clean a handful of 38 cal revolvers that I’ve acquired over the past year but never shot.

I've used Big45Frontier successfully for many years to remove external rust from blued firearms w/o getting the minute scratches I used to get when using OOOO steel wool & oil - but I've never cleaned a rifled bore with it.

With a cost of $6 for a 3-pack directly from the maker, I find it's an excellent value.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

When it comes to removing lead and/or PC buildup from barrels (rifle or handgun) of 38, 9mm, 35 caliber, 375 caliber, 40/41 caliber, 44 caliber and 45 caliber I automatically reach for and use the Lewis Lead remover. All it takes is 1 -3 passes, usually just 1, and the lead/fouling is all removed. With 30 cal or smaller I use Chore Boy on a worn or 1 size under brush.

With my own cast and lubed bullets I very, very seldom need to use either. I mostly find the need to use either when I'm testing commercial cast or cast from others.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I've used Frontier for quite a number of years. As several others have mentioned, I tangle a few strands in a nylon brush. A couple of passes through the bore and it's clean. Works good on shotguns too.

Denny

Or coarse bronze wool is pretty cheap
    https://www.amazon.com/Homax-Bronze-.../dp/B000H5QDUO
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Or coarse bronze wool is pretty cheap
    https://www.amazon.com/Homax-Bronze-.../dp/B000H5QDUO
    Love bronze wool for removing rust, but I find it too fine and brittle for bore cleaning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I've used Big45Frontier successfully for many years to remove external rust from blued firearms w/o getting the minute scratches I used to get when using OOOO steel wool & oil - but I've never cleaned a rifled bore with it.

With a cost of $6 for a 3-pack directly from the maker, I find it's an excellent value.

Where did you get that price? The website shows $6 EACH.
    NRA Benefactor.