Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 7 1/2 or 8 shot ?

7 1/2 or 8 shot ?

I have bout 300 hundred pounds plus of 7 1/2 or 8 shot from a skeet range any idea what it would b close 2 soww / coww / range lead ? thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Smelting small shot is a real pain due to the graphite coating. You basically have to crush them before or during the melt. Even reclaimed sells well. If it was me I would sell the shot and get the alloy I want. I did about 5 gallons once and only once.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

yea I though bout selling it that way but I can,t seem 2 b able 2 get it really clean with the tiny bits of rocks and dirt

Boolit Master
    What you have is reclaimed shot, yep dirty and oxidized. I shoot it at clays, breaks them just as well as shiny new shot, some people feel it’s bad for their barrel and patterns bad. As far as bullet making, I use it for that too, but it has near zero tin. I mix it roughly 50:50 with plain lead and add tin to get near 2.5/2.5/95 alloy. It is a PAIN to melt, I put in my slab of plain lead, pour the shot over it and cover the pot to cook a while. Needs lots of stirring and mashing of the pellets, they have oxide shells. Flux, and flux some more. Makes a good alloy but takes work. Shot as arsenic so will heat treat well, also a bit of copper generally.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I had tried it years ago , arsenic makes lead clot, and l got lousy castings. tin makes it flow so maybe that would have saved it.

Boolit Master
    Yes, casts like poop without adding tin, at least.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

Can you use an air compressor to blow the dirt away while pouring the shot?

Boolit Master
    I be interested in the shot.

Air is the way to clean it like a combine cleaning grain.

Find a corner of a building and wind blowing, not gusting. get a bucket of wash tub. May need more then one. Seating container high then tub to catch it slowly pour lead. Wind will draft the dirt (lighter material) away. Wind drift if you will.

Have a good one,

Teddy

Boolit Buddy
    300 lbs of mixed size reclaimed shot can be cleaned & reused as shot. You need a powerful floor fan & an elevated platform. Maybe a good 3 to 4 ft drop thru the wind. Catch the cleaned shot directly below the fan. Then you tumble it w graphite to polish itself. PM me if you need more info. I did this many years ago. The stuff is well worth saving & reusing. uncle mike