Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 1892 32-20

Boolit Bub

Winchester 1892 32-20

Hi I’ve been offered a Winchester 1892 SRC for approximately $2950 .
    I’m in the Uk so not as many here as in the US.
    It has Winchester 92 stamped on the left side of the barrel so I assume it’s about 1920 can you guys give me any idea if it’s a rifle that’s going to hold value

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These links should help you date your '92:

https://winchestercollector.org/dates/

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslo...le=win1892.dat

https://centerofthewest.org/wp-conte...er_SN-list.pdf

This link describes when the 1892 to 92 barrel address marking changed:

https://winchestercollector.org/foru...arrel-address/

I cannot judge UK pricing, but in average used "shooter grade" condition US auction prices are about half that. Premium, museum-quality collector grade specimens do approach the price range you cited, but those are "asking" prices and not necessarily "getting" prices unless you have an authentication letter from the Cody Historical Center, the Winchester factory or other reputable source.

If the rifle is completely original and not modified or refinished, in VG+ to Excellent, e.g. Very Fine collector condition it will hold value and remain of investment quality. Hopefully a collector with more specific knowledge on the Winchesters will chime in as those are a bit outside my wheelhouse, my interests being more into Colt revolvers and US militaria.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Pictures woukd help some but good advice given by Outpost

Trying to advise from this side of the pond is hard, but the better the condition, the better chance of appreciating in value. If you buy right, I doubt you will ever loose $$ on an old Winchester. For more information on a specific 1892 contact Michael Puzo at 2bitrifles@gmail.com . Mike is writing a book on the 1892 and has cataloged over 10,000, including my 1913 vintage 25 20.

Welcome aboard ! !

Was the price you stated in US dollars ?

If so, in the US that price would be about what a pristine small bore (.25-20 or .32-40) would bring, but it's only worth $700-$800 USD if it's in less than pristine (like not in original issued condition, or having alterations).

Large bore .38-40's & .44-40's bring twice as much $$$ in either above category as the smaller bores, due to Cowboy Action Shooting demand in the US.

In GB, with both the scarcity you mentioned and the stringent GB gun laws, it may very well be worth every penny asked.

Further if you use the links above to date the rifle by serial number, you will get the DOM, but just be aware that there are NO factory records for the 1st decade of the 20th century, so a Cody Letter of Authentication might not be available for your $$$.

In any event, especially in your circumstances, if you REALLY want it - think about the possibility that if you pass, you may never come across another anytime soon.

Last edited by pietro; 05-01-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    I’m going to view the rifle next week, blueing 100% and Wood is good this is alarming me slightly as it might have been refinished.
    I’ll take some pictures and try and upload them.
    Il look at the links supplied.
    £2000 in uk

If it's been refinished/reblued (re-blackened in GB), it would reduce the US value, but may not in GB, just because in GB, re-blacking is looked at as a legitimate refreshing of any rifle or gun.

Boolit Bub
    Looking at the pictures I am able too, I cannot see a front barrel band, the mag looks to be attached with the dovetail mount.

I see you mentioned that it was a Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC), but all carbine models (unless a factory Special Order) were issued with magazines the same length as the barrel, held by a forend barrel band, an front sight base integral with the barrel, a ladder style rear sight and buttstocks with a wrap-over(the top) buttplate.

"Rifle" model 1892's (and 1894's), however, were issued with (usually) longer barrels, a metal forend tip, dovetailed magazine tube hangers and front sights, non-ladder rear sights, and a crescent buttplate.

When those firearms were made, a buyer had multiple factory options they could select from - like barrel lengths other than the standard 20" (Carbine Model) or 24" (Rifle Models), magazine tube lengths (full, half, third/button, etc), different sight styles, plus a plethora of other options too long to list here.

You might be looking at a Special Order gun (worth much more than a standard model) - where a different barrel length, sights and/or a saddle ring (sometimes added to a non saddle ring model.

Pictures and/or a link might further help with a deeper diagnosis.

Boolit Bub
    You I don’t have any pictures I can upload yet, But ive seen identical ones on guns international

Ref Number 101386401
    And 101406290

Hopefully these will help you identify what I’m looking at
    Last edited by Lakeland terrier; 05-02-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Ref # 101406290 is no longer avail for my viewing.

Ref # 101386401 is a Winchester Model 1892 Carbine (model) in about 95% original condition, with the saddle ring staple installed with no saddle ring mounted (an easy fix).

I cannot see any alterations from the original issued condition except the missing saddle ring.

The value in the US would run about $1500, +/- (a like condition .38-40 or .44-40 would bring about twice that in the US) , but would naturally be worth more in areas where there is a paucity of M-1892 SRC's in like condition (like in GB).

If I was in GB, in your situation, and I liked/wanted it, I buy it, especially if there was some room to dicker down the asking price (what would you have to lose by dickering ?) - but you already knew that, right ?

Boolit Bub
    101386401 Look at the magazine to barrel attachment.
    This is the same as the one I’m looking at in the Uk that I’m finding strange is it only the 38-40 and 44-49 that has a mag to barrel band ?
    Thank you for responding
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland terrier View Post

101386401 Look at the magazine to barrel attachment.

This is the same as the one I’m looking at in the Uk that I’m finding strange

is it only the 38-40 and 44-49 that has a mag to barrel band ?

Thank you for responding
    Dean
    You're welcome, Dean - and you are correct as to the two larger chamberings having an upper/forward magazine tube barrel band.

( # 101386401 is the Winchester I viewed)

Get ready to exercise your plastic...……………...

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a nicely refinished (Metal and Wood) Winchester 1892 (1907) in 32-20, Button Magazine, amazingly clean bore for $900 US.

Boolit Bub
    Unfortunately we don’t have the same amount of 92’s to choose from in the UK, also it can take up to 3 months for the police to process the application to collect the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I see you mentioned that it was a Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC), but all carbine models (unless a factory Special Order) were issued with magazines the same length as the barrel, held by a forend barrel band, an front sight base integral with the barrel, a ladder style rear sight and buttstocks with a wrap-over(the top) buttplate.

Ahhhh dont think so -unless every box that came to Aus was a special order --lots of carbines came downunder - normal configuration was short button magazine, (ladder rear sight, and carbine buttplate as you describe)
    long magazine was uncommon but in that case the small calibres had a dovetail ring to hold the magazine not the barrel band - large calibre carbines had the barrel band

"Rifle" model 1892's (and 1894's), however, were issued with (usually) longer barrels, a metal forend tip, dovetailed magazine tube hangers and front sights, non-ladder rear sights, and a crescent buttplate.

When those firearms were made, a buyer had multiple factory options they could select from - like barrel lengths other than the standard 20" (Carbine Model) or 24" (Rifle Models), magazine tube lengths (full, half, third/button, etc), different sight styles, plus a plethora of other options too long to list here.

You might be looking at a Special Order gun (worth much more than a standard model) - where a different barrel length, sights and/or a saddle ring (sometimes added to a non saddle ring model.

Pictures and/or a link might further help with a deeper diagnosis.

These 38/40 Winchester carbines show the magazine configuration that was common "down under". Has the ladder rear sight but no carbine ring? These were issued to the state prison service in 1895.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    These 38/40 Winchester carbines show the magazine configuration that was common "down under". Has the ladder rear sight but no carbine ring? These were issued to the state prison service in 1895.

Wallace
    I might be a bit out of touch but I think it would take a pretty nice 32/20 down south to make $1000 and thats only a bit over $600 US - guns that have been refinished or otherwise messed with and still decent shooters - I reckon $600 - $700 would be about it - whats the story in Brisbane area?

No doubt about it - the full-length magazine was standard; the button, 1/2 & 3/4 length magazines were factory options.

The button magazine option might be common down under because the importers ordered them that way to meet the market demand there.

Boolit Bub
    Any one got a ladder sight in their parts bin ? Prefer an original is I can find one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast