WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Fx

Boolit Master

Fx

Slithered out of bed at 2:30 AM this morning, Met a friend and drove 450 miles to Utah Airguns to see/fondle/shoot the FX impact.

Nice rifle, shoots well, and the bottle feels surprisingly nice in the support hand while shooting standing.

My friend laid down a stack of hundreds and purchased a .22 with 700mm barrel. The Crew at Utah tuned it, with 18 grain JSBs. At 35 yards (indoors, no wind) that gun shoots groups like .3125-.375 outside to outside.

We drove the 450 miles back home, pulled in the driveway at 8:30 PM.

Still happy with my Matador, and newfound appreciation of FX
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

I envy your enthusiasm to get up so early and make the trip, albeit I used to regularly do similar when the Salmon were moving out of Lake Ontario... Best wishes to your buddy with his new FX Impact, and you, too, with your Matador! I'm still in love with my Marauders, and am "stickin' with this affair." Albeit, a bit of envy to you re your fine-plus air rifles! I am curious re what calibre he elected; and, what he uses to fill it? (I have the Nomad II air compressor, which I, too, love)
    geo

Boolit Master

He chose the .22.

Out in this part of the country we have ground squirrels. They are in full bloom right now. There are several different species, including prairie dog.

In this part of Montana they are all gophers. Lots of different names in different areas, sage rat, whistler, picket pin, ect.

More thought on the FX. That impact has very accessible tuning adjustment, two different pressure adjustments, a numbered hammer preload dial.
    The scope rail can be loosened and adjusted.

Pretty cool stuff, but for my own use, would rather not have them. I want a rifle that shoots good, predictable, consistently. The easier it is to screw around with such stuff, the more screwed up my rifle would be.

A good rifle should come out of the case and make first round hits.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

I would have chosen .22 -- as are both my Marauder pistols and the Marauder rifle. I share your last sentence sentiments, with an added caveat: I believe (right or wrong?) that the greater the ammo's recoil, the greater the overall firearm weight I desire. With my PCPs, having no recoil -- then, the lighter the stock, the better! (I bought the plastic stock from Marauder rifle, which it wears for hunting/camp plinking; the wood for at-range, only).
    At 6.3 pounds weight, it is most impressive to me that the FX weighs a full pound less than the plastic-stocked (7.3 lbs) -- 1.9 pounds less than when adorned with wood (8.2 lbs) -- Marauder!
    After a "respectable" ownership/use time with my Marauders, I'm still ecstatic with these. I do hope your friend feels similarly with the Impact! Our squirrels are either grey- or black squirrels. I'm partial to the black ones, and wouldn't dream of shooting one -- probably as, while they're plentiful but a few miles north, they are kind of rare to see around my location. The grey ones -- aka tree rats -- generally, as rabbits, mostly are dispatched with .22 rimfires -- being, however, fair game with the Marauders. For my sense of "ethical hunting", they need be a much shorter distance than, say, with my CZ Varmint .22 lr.
    geo

Boolit Master

This used to be a quiet little cow town when I moved here 42 years ago.
    Now it's a very fast growing, sprawling, suburbia. Places I used to shoot a .243 are surrounded by houses.

Air guns do not carry as far. Needing to be able to make hits to 75 yards in this open country.

Being an old fart, I justified this air gun has to be good enough to last the rest of my life. I want a good one.
    My friend, who bought the FX impact has the same thought.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Where is 2:30 on the clock?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Where is 2:30 on the clock?

Randy
    Randy,
    Your question has me wondering what information you are looking for.

Did I miss a bit of fun being poked my way?

I think not. Reading your posts over several years leaves me with the impression that a post by you has valid information. With no joking around.

So could you expand the question a bit?

Mark
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    I too am a FX-FanBoy. I started off with a Streamline .22 with its main purpose of pigeon hunting inside huge dairy barns. It worked great but it was just too nice of a wood stock to hunt with. Sold it and bought a .22 Wildcat. Great rifle but I didn’t research enough before buying it because it didn’t have the quick power adjustability I needed to hunt de-tuned in barns, without poking holes in roofs. Traded it back for a DreamPup in .22 and it’s perfect for my needs. It’s light, extremely accurate and easily de-tuned. I’ve shot birds out to 103 yards so far.

I recently went down the Impact black hole and bought a .25 and a .30 that I use mostly for BR at 100 yards. Trying to get good enough to compete in UBR and had plan to compete in the Pyramid Air Cup but I am not sure of its status in these troubling times.