Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Anyone make Repro Cartridge boxes?

Anyone make Repro Cartridge boxes?

I know some companies make 44-40, 45-70 and more popular caliber boxes. I saw a site that had old blue label 45-70 and such, but id like one for my 40-82. Is there someone that would make me one out there somewhere? It would be cool to just have an old style box. I know original boxes sell from 500-2000$ so its abit expensive. I have an original Remington box, not in perfect condition but still awesome I find.

Boolit Master

You might be able to sort of make some yourself
    Well , not the paper ones

But I have made old style wood cartridge boxes for my 45/70 & 44/40 and Dad's 45/60
    I planed down clear beach boards ( what I had ) to 1/8" or slightly less
    I then cut all the strips needed
    Added up the hole size and the wood thickness
    So I could cut the sides , base and top
    The top had a rabbit cut on both sides and the 2 long sides of the box also had a grove cut almost the full length just down from the top to allow the top of the box to slide in it
    The base had shallow groves to hold the divider strips

Then the fun part of cutting groves in the divider strips
    To allow them to slip together

Then I glued everything together
    I was able to copy original box tops so I could also glue that to the box tops

I stained the wood and varnished it
    Then roughed up the finish to look Old

I am making 4 38/40 boxes for dad's birthday
    I figure I will have a good number of hours in them when done

Also the wood dividers are thin and split or crack easy
    So go SLOW , as I have cracked several
    Also use a good would glue

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I made a wood box already, and a leather one that can hold a little screwdriver that fits nicely in my pocket. I'd like paper ones. I like the look of them.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I make my own "repro" boxes. I wouldn't call them reproduction, more like, sort of old-timey with my personal touch. I make them two different ways, from scratch or modify another box. Making them from scratch is tedious. I use repurposed card stock for the box. I usually find a heavier card like the backing of desk top calendars or heavier file folders. It needs to be stiff but not too thick - slightly thicker and stronger than cereal box material. Two Piece slip-top boxes are easier to make and a bit more forgiving when it comes to dimensions. The bottom is generally about 1/16" - 1/8" smaller than the top. For example; to make a box to fit .308 class of cartridges, the bottom would be 5" long x 1" wide x about 1 1/2" tall. The top would be 5 1/8" long x 1 1/8" wide by around 1 1/2" tall. The box can be made taller to hold 30-06 class cartridges. It holds 20 cartridges. I measure out the dimensions of the unfolded box and cut it out, including small tabs at the joints for glue. I use Harbor Freight gel super glue to put the box together. The cartridge divider is a pain. It is a long center piece with slits that mate with nine individual dividers. The center piece and dividers are tedious to cut out. Once the box is all glued up and dried I test to make sure the top will slide over the bottom. I then wrap the box in craft paper. The craft paper is what gives it that older look. The craft paper is just glued on with plain white glue. The craft paper is also what gives the box its strength and reinforces the joints.

For labels I use fine parchment paper. It is the stuff your boss will print your "employee of the month" certificate on. It can be found in a variety of colors and tones. I generally stick with tan, gold, grey, and off-white tones for older looking boxes. You need a decent laser printer. I have scoured the internet and accumulated about 300+ different fonts on my computer. I find a font that suits the look I am after and come up with a rough label. Same goes for any images. There are lots of old time images on the net. You just need to be creative when you are using search terms. Print a test label on regular paper before you waste a sheet of the parchment. I use Microsoft Publisher to create the labels. It is doable on Word, but publisher makes manipulating any images a lot easier than Word. Note that using a laser printer on parchment paper is not the same as regular paper. The toner from the laser printer doesn't stick to parchment as readily as regular paper. You can use a spray-on Workable Fixative (available in arts/crafts stores) to protect the toner. I usually just leave it with no fixative. Then, as you handle the cartridge boxes and labels, the printing sort of wears off and gives it a distressed and authentic look. When the labels look good, I cut them to fit and glue onto the box using plain old white glue.

The second way I do the boxes is to just take a regular cartridge box and modify it to look old. I do this a lot for the common cartridges I shoot and with boxes that see a lot more use. To modify them, all I'm doing is covering the box in craft paper and making the label. It saves a ton of work and when the box gets damaged or worn out it isn't a big deal like with the scratch made ones. You can find tons of boxes at your local range or have a shooting buddy save his for you.

It is much easier to just do all this than try and describe in written terms. I got lots of ideas and references from just looking at old cartridge boxes; noting the styles of fonts, wording and terminology that was sometimes different, and how the boxes were constructed. I always keep an eye out for materials to do this; unique papers, boxes, card stock. As I mentioned, slip-top boxes are easier to construct. Folded boxes with flaps and lids are more challenging because all your measurements and dimensions need to be spot on. Lastly, I make these for me. I don't make them to sell, so please don't ask. That said, I'm more than willing to help, share any images, patterns/dimensions, and tips for anyone who wants to give it a whirl.

Below is a sample of some of the boxes I've made. The two boxes on the left are commercial boxes that I just modified and re-labeled. The three boxes on the right were all made from scratch.

This image shows a box that I've used as a pattern for many different boxes. This type of box can use a little bit lighter weight material for it's construction and is really good for pistol calibers and smaller rifle calibers. It just folds up and requires no glue. I just copy the pattern and just adjust the dimensions for the particular cartridge I'm using. For pistol bullets, I stand them upright, alternating bases and bullets up/down.

Mtnman that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Please, could you describe your process for attaching the craft paper. Do you spread the glue all over it, or just on the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Mtnman that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Please, could you describe your process for attaching the craft paper. Do you spread the glue all over it, or just on the edges?
    I spread the glue all over the craft paper. Once the glue is on, I lay it on the box and work out the bubbles from center to edge. Make sure the edges are glued well. The corners get folded down similar to how one would do the edges on gift wrap.

I would love to make a few boxes similar to the .43 spanish box you have. Im definitely going to try this. I just need to get parchment paper. I have alot of file folders I could try this with if they are thick enough. Do you have any patterns by chance for a box like the .43 Spanish? Il probably need to find a similar box and unfold it.

I just looked and I dont have any two piece boxes. They are all one piece these days... damn. How am I going to get good measurements to line up? I need to cut out one whole piece and fold all the sides in right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I just looked and I dont have any two piece boxes. They are all one piece these days... damn. How am I going to get good measurements to line up? I need to cut out one whole piece and fold all the sides in right?
    Sent you a PM. I will scan my box pattern and email you a copy.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome work Mtnman. The Anderson Cartridge Company is a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing Mtnman. That'd make a good article for handloader magazine.