RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Wheelgun Purchased Today

Boolit Buddy

First Wheelgun Purchased Today

So, I got my stimulus check in, and one of the LGS's had a *gasp* Taurus Tracker M627 on the shelf for $414. It's the 6.5 in. barrel. After much research, I decided "why not?".
    I've only put just over a dozen rounds through it, but the recoil is certainly manageable, and it's not even as loud as I expected. It's also right on at 10 yards (I have yet to get out to the actual range), and no issues with function. I'm going to hold onto most of my .357 rounds, and keep some .38 Special in it for home/self defense until I can get a good mold for casting, probably starting with a 158 grain boolit since both calibers can run it.
    My current powder, and the one easiest to find locally, for magnum rounds is IMR 4227. Imagine my surprise when I looked at Hodgon's reloading site and was told they only had a load for 140 grain pistol boolits. However, switch to rifle, and IMR 4227 has the same load data as H4227 for *some* reloads(???)
    I've seen a lot of information that indicates the two powders are the same, but Hodgdon's site, at least for pistol, doesn't seem to think so. Strangely, for the rifle rounds, they recommend MORE IMR 4227 than H4227 for the same round in one of the rifle loads.
    I'm confused.
    Also, any recommendations for which mold to start with?
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

I have a 4" Tracker. Had it for many years. Shoots well with a lot of molds. My current go to 357 mold is an Accurate 36-158-V
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=36-158V-D.png
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I don't load either 4227 but know it's a classic powder with a lot of data listed. You'll do well to acquire a loadbooks USA manual in both 38 and 357. Mine are invaluable.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats. 357 Mag revolvers are hard to beat and everyone should have at least one.
    Last edited by tominboise; 05-01-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: missed a word - darn!

wyrmzr; Glad to see others helping me stimulate the economy in a worthwhile manner. I own and load for a lot of different calibers but the 357 is an all around favorite in my family. And yes, the 4227s are excellent magnum load powders for the 357. Pretty hard to beat these three moulds in 38cal. 158gr SWC 148gr. WC and the 125gr. RNFP. Keeping things simple for plinking rounds powders like Bullseye, TiteGroup and HP-38 will do very well for targets or bean can shooting. Enjoy the new revolver. Gp

Banned

I bought a Tracker like yours several years ago and I love shooting it. I load my 357 rounds with a Lee 358-158-SWC over Alliant 2400. I use the Lyman Cast Bullet book for cast and Lyman 50th and Hornady 9th for J-words, over 2400. I have IMR4227 on hand for back up, but I haven't needed it yet, our LGS just got in a big shipment of powder a couple week ago and I picked up a pound of 2400. Had to do it curb side. I like the Lee 358-158-SWC bullet for my 357, I have a different mold for my wifes 38 Special.

gpidaho, thanks for the info on the 4227 loads, I'll have to try it out.

Boolit Grand Master

No they are not horribly loud as you found out. Louder than 38 special? Yes. Earsplitting, go-deaf-in-one-shot? No.

I've only bought IMR 4227. I know that H4227 and IMR4227 used to be different. I believe they are currently the same powder. Unfortunately I do not know how to tell which data is considered newer. The thing with either 4227 in rounds such as 357 magnum is that you really can't fit enough in there to get into trouble and still seat a bullet on top. Take that statement with a grain of salt. I never did get the accuracy I desire with 4227, but many do. I prefer bluedot or H110.

As for the bullet, you could start and stop with the Keith, but where is the fun in that? It's likely the best all around bullet with lots of data. If you only ever intend on shooting solids, I recommend the Arsenal molds 358429 SWC 170 Gr. KEITH. If you ever intend to shoot hollow points, and you can cast solids with it too, get the NOE molds 360-176-SWC.

I've found that 4227 likes to be loaded near max with a good crimp. I use Hodgdons info interchangeably on a 454 Casull, no problems.

I had one like yours for a few years. It was a very accurate shooter with cast. Somewhere on this site is a picture of a target I shot with it. I put thousands of rounds through it over several years.
    The only reason I let it go was the ejector. The rod wasn't long enough to cleanly eject even 38 special cases, let alone 357 mag cases. Reloading in a stressful situation was going to be a slow process.
    Mine would shoot nearly anything accurately.

It would be hard to go wrong with a Lee 158 RNFP. That boolit shoots well over a wide velocity range for me and if you go with 6 cavity it makes a lot of boolits in a hurry.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the 357. One thing you may want to change the grip on your tracker. Mine came with them spongy grips. I kept hitting my finger against the trigger guard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8026.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	261381
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    I had fun yesterday firing about 20 .357 rounds and just a couple of .38 special. 10 yards and I had shots inside an inch firing it SA. This will also be my replacement for muzzleloader this year for whitetails.
    The IMR 4227 is sitting here because I've had good luck with it in the 300AAC and 7.62x54r, and I figure the fewer powders I need to keep on hand, the better. I actually sold off the 91/30, which it turns out was the worst possible timing.
    I'm also casting for my .40 S&W, and have yet to start casting for the 300, but plan on that as well. I PC some of my rounds, but am still also experimenting with alox to see if there's any accuracy difference; for some of the cast, doing both seems to work better than one or the other, which seems strange, but it could also just be me.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

Congrats on the gun! I've had good luck with HP38, Ramshot Enforcer and IMR 4227. Titegroup will work but doesn't agree with my powder coated bullets (shelf life-or at least they say).
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master
    IMR 4227 and I had a passing relationship many years ago when a more experienced friend was shooting some excellent groups with his 8 3/8's inch barrel M-27 with a load of IMR 4227 that made my groups look poorly by comparison. I bought a pound and gave it a try. IMR 4227 is a little bit slow for the 357. You start to run out of room before you are really up to speed. It was not as good as 2400 in my S&W M-19, but the experience I got shooting up that pound of powder shrank my groups by a fair bit.

16.0 grains of IMR 4227 under a 150 grain RCBS 38-150 KT works fairly well, but 14.7 grains of 2400 is/was more accurate. Both were top end loads.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on the new purchase and popping your cherry on wheelguns. Get out and enjoy it as much as you can.

I put a hogue monogrip on mine. I really don’t like the Taurus grips. The gun is a treat to shoot. Recoil is not bad. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    Hope you enjoy your new gun.
    But you know you are gonna need a bigger safe those little guys multiply like rabbits.

Good to hear a good Taurus thread. Enjoy that revolver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Since this is your first wheelgun, I'm going to assume it's the first time you'll be reloading larger volume handgun cases. Please always use powders that will overflow or nearly overflow the case with a double charge. A shooter at the indoor range where I volunteer destroyed a S&W 41 Magnum with a double-charged cartridge. He didn't personally get hurt, but 1/2 of the cylinder is gone, the top strap is bent upward, and even the red dot sight is broken. I've heard rumors he wasn't inspecting every case after every step in the reloading process, and was minimizing expense by using a fast-burning powder. Even if do you look into the deeper magnum cases, noticing double charges is more difficult than with short semi auto cases, unless the % of occupied space is considerable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    It would be hard to go wrong with a Lee 158 RNFP. That boolit shoots well over a wide velocity range for me and if you go with 6 cavity it makes a lot of boolits in a hurry.
    +1 on that
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast