Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Sight Story

Boolit Master

Sight Story

Slowly over the past year I've been getting the primitive sights on rifle zeroed in. I've been using Graf's 2f powder. Monday I went out and got the windage where I wanted. The elevation was 7 inches or so low at 60 yards. When I got home and cleaned it up I filed .025 off the front sight. I think that's the 3rd time I've filed on it. Went back out Tuesday and for a change up I took GOEX 3f. Shooting again at 60 yards I was 6 inches high of the bull. Now I'm really talking to myself, I can't see anyway in the world that .025 off the sight is going to make that much difference. Humm, maybe I'll have to get on TOTW's site and order front sights. So today I went back out there with my Graf's 2f and shot. I was good for windage and about 2 inches low of the bull. Guess I'll file .015 off the front sight and stay with the Graf's.

Most of my muzzle loaders have fixed sights, and most of them are hand made. It can take a lot of filing to get one sighted in. I usually take the file with me to the range.

FFg & FFFg has different burning rates; and different maker's BP of the same grade are also slightly different.

IDK what the caliber of your rifle is, but FYI, I get better performance with FFFg than I do with FFg. (YMMV)

I would suggest looking at who is the more reliable source of BP, then get a front sight that will zero the loads with the BP from that source.

FWIW, when I want to zero a rifle, ILO of a lot of cut/file/etc & before buying a new front sight, I make/use a cardboard or plastic dummy front sight, altering it's height until I arrive at the correct height, then measure the final/correct height & buy whatever new front sight meets the same measurement.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

error" X sight radius" / distance in inches = what to add remove from sight. This will get you very close.

Boolit Master
    If you barrel is shorter, a 1/4" can move things a lot. I also found out one day, after doing the same thing, I was just having a bad day, glare and such on the sight, and I should have left it alone.

Boolit Master
    I've sighted in a couple others over the years. I've used goex in all the other muzzle loaders, this is my first time with Grafs' powder. Both charges were 70gr by my measure. I like the price and charges Grafs offers so I think I'll use more of it. Fouling wasn't a lot different between the two, surprised me.

Boolit Grand Master

It may not be PC but most of my MLs have a rear sight adjustment. They still have the old style look but I can make adjustments for such cases.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I make my front sights, and leave them high. I work up loads first, then file a bit at a time at the bench. Better to start with a high sight than a low one. It's surprising what a few strokes of a file will do to those little pieces of metal. If you don't have your load worked up first, you are going into adjusting sights blind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have not yet had to file a sight on my T/c. Although I have thought about mounting a peep do to the rifle still having its original adjustable factory sights. A peep in the right hands can be near as accurate as a scope. If my rifle was a custom build I would expect the builder to {bullseye its open barrel sight's to 100 yards} before taken possession of. As far as sighting barrel sights. Rear sight is easy to adjust. Drift left to shoot left. Front sight is completely opposite in drift adjust. File lower so to shoot higher. Drift to the left so to shoot Right. You'll soon see "Its a tricky old school learning."

Boolit Master
    Next time I'll go about this in a different way, some good help here.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I make my front sights, and leave them high. I work up loads first, then file a bit at a time at the bench. Better to start with a high sight than a low one. It's surprising what a few strokes of a file will do to those little pieces of metal. If you don't have your load worked up first, you are going into adjusting sights blind.
    When I shot matches I also did that. Another point is that in my 25 muzzle loader I shoot Grafs 3f. Chronographed it against GOEX and the difference was about 100 fps difference or so, The GOEX was hotter. But the Graf's was cleaner and that little 25 bore was sensitive. The Grafs load is 1645fps over the chronograph with the 23 grain ball.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0048.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	261454 Good little squirrel rifle.

Also for matches I very slowly and carefully sighted in the long rifles off hand. Worked for me. The full stocks often shot different rested. Just my little quirk.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Thanks Northmn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Slowly over the past year I've been getting the primitive sights on rifle zeroed in. I've been using Graf's 2f powder. Monday I went out and got the windage where I wanted. The elevation was 7 inches or so low at 60 yards. When I got home and cleaned it up I filed .025 off the front sight. I think that's the 3rd time I've filed on it. Went back out Tuesday and for a change up I took GOEX 3f. Shooting again at 60 yards I was 6 inches high of the bull. Now I'm really talking to myself, I can't see anyway in the world that .025 off the sight is going to make that much difference. Humm, maybe I'll have to get on TOTW's site and order front sights. So today I went back out there with my Graf's 2f and shot. I was good for windage and about 2 inches low of the bull. Guess I'll file .015 off the front sight and stay with the Graf's.
    Is Grafs powder Wano? and you switched to Goex ....... then as well you switched from FFg to FFFg either change would be enough to explain a six inch shift on target at my place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Is Grafs powder Wano? and you switched to Goex ....... then as well you switched from FFg to FFFg either change would be enough to explain a six inch shift on target at my place.
    Exactly what he said

Boolit Master
    Heck it was close to 12 inches. I see Grafs is going to be selling Goex now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Heck it was close to 12 inches. I see Grafs is going to be selling Goex now.
    "either change would be enough to explain a six inch shift on target at my place "
    ya did both not either ........six plus six = twelve! looks like it works at your place too

Boolit Master
    OR instead of filing away on yr sights ya could try tippin a lil more powder down the barrel ? ol betsy might like it ? (or not- wont take long to find out)