RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United American Metal bar.

Boolit Master

United American Metal bar.

Picked this up in a junk store on Hwy 2 in Idaho a couple years back. Thinking it must be solder. Anyone know?
    Paid $5 for it so if it's 60/40 I got a good deal.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 04-30-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Boolit Master

if your going to ask something like that, you really need to post a photo of the object.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Babbitt

http://www.uamet.com/p6.htm

and

http://www.uamet.com/p4.htm

and

http://www.uamet.com/abc.htm

The original formula for his bearing metal was 89.3% tin, 7.1% antimony and 3.6% copper. This formula is still used by some manufacturers today and marketed as 'Genuine Babbitt', or ASTM B-23 Grade 2 Babbitt. It is a soft, white non-ferrous alloy which is used to provide a bearing surface.
    Last edited by skeettx; 04-30-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200430_133910.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	261339

Boolit Master
    So many photos show how the bar is marked, or whatever the impression of the mold leaves on the surface. What does the open surface of the ingot look like? Raised ridges can show high tin content and is common on Lino ingots. Sunken cavities can also suggest a clue as to the origin of the ingot. But most important can be the fractured area of the ingot. Does it show a fine powder like appearance with a lot of tiny specs reflecting like refined antimony in lino type. Does an oblique light across the surface show a sort of grain structure that forms as the ingot cools. You posted the name, you showed the script on the ingot, but so many more clues are missing. Weight ? Measurement ?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    So many photos show how the bar is marked, or whatever the impression of the mold leaves on the surface. What does the open surface of the ingot look like? Raised ridges can show high tin content and is common on Lino ingots. Sunken cavities can also suggest a clue as to the origin of the ingot. But most important can be the fractured area of the ingot. Does it show a fine powder like appearance with a lot of tiny specs reflecting like refined antimony in lino type. Does an oblique light across the surface show a sort of grain structure that forms as the ingot cools. You posted the name, you showed the script on the ingot, but so many more clues are missing. Weight ? Measurement ?????

Name:	20200430_143005.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	261351

Name:	20200430_142935.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	261352

Boolit Master
    And now, with a piece laying on a padded surface, tap it smartly with a hammer and listen for that clang sound of striking cast iron. Pretty sure that is linotype. Hint of the grain appearance but mostly lost in the reflective glare. A better view of the fractured area would have been more help than the side of the casting, but it is what it is. It is NOT solder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Babbitt

http://www.uamet.com/p6.htm

and

http://www.uamet.com/p4.htm

and

http://www.uamet.com/abc.htm

The original formula for his bearing metal was 89.3% tin, 7.1% antimony and 3.6% copper. This formula is still used by some manufacturers today and marketed as 'Genuine Babbitt', or ASTM B-23 Grade 2 Babbitt. It is a soft, white non-ferrous alloy which is used to provide a bearing surface.
    If it's Babbitt it would be a darn shame to make cast boolits out of it. There are a number of folks who could use it in refurbishing old machine tools. Possibly including me. I've got a 1941 South Bend Heavy 10L toolroom lathe that I'm in process of restoring, and IIRC, it uses Babbitt in several places. I'll trade you two for one good casting lead for the Babbitt. Seems to me I have range lead, wheel weight, and possibly some linotype metal. I'll pay for postage both ways, too.

Boolit Master
    I suppose I could take it to the scrap yard and have it tested. If it's genuine Babbitt the tin in it makes it quite useful for alloying with pure. And making Babbitt does not look much harder than making Lyman #2.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 04-30-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Call United American Metal at
    1-312-733-6700
    I just spoke with them and they are
    open for business
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    And now, with a piece laying on a padded surface, tap it smartly with a hammer and listen for that clang sound of striking cast iron. Pretty sure that is linotype. Hint of the grain appearance but mostly lost in the reflective glare. A better view of the fractured area would have been more help than the side of the casting, but it is what it is. It is NOT solder.
    You seem to know your stuff Dusty. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Call United American Metal at
    1-312-733-6700
    I just spoke with them and they are
    open for business
    Mike
    Cool!

Boolit Master
    Well, it does have a ring to it. I will go with Dusty's hunch that it is linotype. I will make 1 Lb. ingots out of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Well, it does have a ring to it. I will go with Dusty's hunch that it is linotype. I will make 1 Lb. ingots out of it.
    Would you be willing to trade it for linotype or WW ingots? I'd trade two of either for one of the Babbit, and pay postage both ways. More if necessary.

Boolit Master
    Scrounge I just sent you a PM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Bub
    Scrounge I also sent you a private message.

Banned

never saw a linotype bar that looked like that. Either solder (my first guess) or Babbitt.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd, I agree that this does not look like the usual linotype bar that weighs about 22 pounds. But I have on my desk a two part ingot marked Federated Metals Division American Smelting and Refining co. Castomatic linotype. It weighs 5 pounds. I certainly could be wrong, but the visual on the photos suggests Lino. Still no idea what the weight of those pieces total.

Boolit Master

They made linotype sweetening bars that were used to sweeten up old linotype. That might be one of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    They made linotype sweetening bars that were used to sweeten up old linotype. That might be one of them.
    I melted the bar down today into 1 lb. ingots. I would say it's heavy in tin. The early melt around the still solid bits was 430 F. The ingots were quite shiny and once cooled, had a ring when tossed across the concrete floor. I'm in no hurry to incorporate it into an alloy so for now it will just sit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast