Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: United American Metal bar.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Lloyd, I agree that this does not look like the usual linotype bar that weighs about 22 pounds. But I have on my desk a two part ingot marked Federated Metals Division American Smelting and Refining co. Castomatic linotype. It weighs 5 pounds. I certainly could be wrong, but the visual on the photos suggests Lino. Still no idea what the weight of those pieces total.
    I will weigh the total tomorrow. My estimate would be 10 lbs.

Banned

that could just be it
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    They made linotype sweetening bars that were used to sweeten up old linotype. That might be one of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m going to enter another guess that it is Linotype +. Those ingots were used to refresh the printer’s mix as it lost tin due to repeated remelting and recasting. I got several of them many years ago from a closed down printing operation..

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    There are other brands, I'm sure, but this is what I have that's in factory ingot form from Federated that I got at a metals recycler:

Two part 5# bar ingots like Dusty Bannister's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	261682

Big ~20# ingots of replenishment alloy, marked by the manufacturer with content of 7% Sn, 11.25% Sb, and 81.75% Pb, confirmed, within a small margin of error, by BNE.

Views:	26 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	261683

Banned

that's a wet dream for a bullet caster!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    There are other brands, I'm sure, but this is what I have that's in factory ingot form from Federated that I got at a metals recycler:

Two part 5# bar ingots like Dusty Bannister's

Views:	22 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	261682

Big ~20# ingots of replenishment alloy, marked by the manufacturer with content of 7% Sn, 11.25% Sb, and 81.75% Pb, confirmed, within a small margin of error, by BNE.

Views:	26 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	261683

Boolit Master
    I got lucky at the metals recycler. I'd gotten one ingot of the replenishment alloy in trade for some other scrap and asked if they had more of the same. Poking around their lead supply, I literally stumbled over a crate of those 5# Federated Lino ingots and separately found four more replenishment ingots, all for which I paid scrap lead price.

Boolit Master
    Super, saved from the scrap dealer and will be put to a good use. It is out there if a fellow can just look for it.

Boolit Master
    There are virtually no wheel weights in my neck of the woods so lino is good to find. Think I have about 40 pounds of it. I also had good luck scrounging pewter but with all the junk stores closed it will have to last. Got six pounds of pure tin as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds to me like you need to find a good source of pure or almost pure lead, Cosmic Charlie. That Lino will harden a huge amount of lead as much as you could possibly need and even six pounds of tin will sweeten a lot of alloy sufficiently for easy casting.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Sounds to me like you need to find a good source of pure or almost pure lead, Cosmic Charlie. That Lino will harden a huge amount of lead as much as you could possibly need and even six pounds of tin will sweeten a lot of alloy sufficiently for easy casting.

Froggie
    You are quite right. Think I have about 200 lbs of pure, 35 of lino and probably 12 of tin including pewter. I'd like to get the pure up to 500 or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12