Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block Rifle - Rare or BUBBA ??

Boolit Master

Rolling Block Rifle - Rare or BUBBA ??

MODERATORS, I am posting a link to a rifle for sale below because this system tells me the pics I saved are not valid and the question is meaningless unless guys can see the rifle. If this is a violation, please feel free to delete this thread. Thanks.

Link below is to a rifle listed as a Remington Rolling Block. Not like any I have seen and I am wondering if this is some rare example, something done by a known company or a bubba job. I keep telling myself I have enough 12.7mm rifles but this one is calling to me.

It has a scalloped receiver that looks to have been done long ago, a shotgun type trigger guard that looks like it is screwed on from inside the trigger housing and the tang screw screws in from the bottom instead of the top. If it were not missing the firing pin it would probably be on it's way to me already, but as it is I would like some opinions from you guys. Thanks.

https://simpsonltd.com/remington-186...-block-c44897/

While the receiver certainly look factory to me, I've never seen an RB with receiver sides rebated like that RB has, either.

I would respectfully suggest you contact the experts over on the American Single Shot Association for further assistance.

IME, you will be allowed to post pics of the rifle there.

www.assra.com

or

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    If it were not missing the firing pin it would probably be on it's way to me already, but as it is...

Also note the last sentence...Breech is sealed shut.

Definitely different though. Looks interesting.

Boolit Master
    I saw it yesterday and just about called them, but I should be selling not buying. I must have completely read over the breech being sealed shut sentence, as that would be a deal breaker for me. I have more than several of these Swedish rolling blocks, and I have not seen one with that reciever profile before, and I think it may be a military receiver machined to a different profile, or it might be a Belgium made rifle imported for sale. Hard to tell who made it after 140+ years.

Boolit Master

I wonder what "Breech is sealed shut" really means... Its an oddball for sure. But for the price, it would be an interesting project.

Simpson must buy these European rolling blocks by the boatload. They always have a lot of them for sale.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Gewehr-Guy;4892134] I must have completely read over the breech being sealed shut sentence, as that would be a deal breaker for me. /QUOTE]

I read the description several times as well and don't recall seeing the breach sealed shut either. Wouldn't even have considered it has I seen that in the description. I wonder ....................

If the breach is sealed shut, I'm wondering how they know the FP is missing...….

Though I suppose they could have espied an empty PF hole in the BB after drawing the hammer back...…..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    MODERATORS, I am posting a link to a rifle for sale below because this system tells me the pics I saved are not valid and the question is meaningless unless guys can see the rifle. If this is a violation, please feel free to delete this thread. Thanks.

Link below is to a rifle listed as a Remington Rolling Block. Not like any I have seen and I am wondering if this is some rare example, something done by a known company or a bubba job. I keep telling myself I have enough 12.7mm rifles but this one is calling to me.

It has a scalloped receiver that looks to have been done long ago, a shotgun type trigger guard that looks like it is screwed on from inside the trigger housing and the tang screw screws in from the bottom instead of the top. If it were not missing the firing pin it would probably be on it's way to me already, but as it is I would like some opinions from you guys. Thanks.

"...stock has several cracks at wrist and butt. Bore has a light frost with mild pitting. Breech is sealed shut. ANTIQUE...,"

It says the breach is sealed shut, sounds like it was demilled by welding, or it would be on it's way to me. Reading some of the other threads here (and owning a shot out Steven's Favorite, the first rifle I ever shot) I was interested in buying a rolling-block. Turned out to be another thing I can't afford. Not anytime soon, anyway.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen a lot of RBs but I've never seen one with retention screws for the pins.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post

I was interested in buying a rolling-block.

Turned out to be another thing I can't afford.

Not anytime soon, anyway.

Keep looking, and asking what junk is in the back room - 3 years ago, I found a small frame RB that someone had installed synthetic stocks onto and converted to .22LR for chump change ($125).

I have never bought from Simpsons before but if you could get someone on the phone that would take the time to get the gun in their hands and explain what the sealed breech meant.
    I sure hope they wouldn't weld or otherwise " de mill " the breech block so the action would be non usable.
    I have heard of guns that a plug of some sort welded in but not really welded to where maybe the barrel could be relined.
    That action is pretty unique !

Jedman

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of RBs but I've never seen one with retention screws for the pins.
    The early Remington-made ones had that feature which was quickly discarded. The Swedes purchased machinery from Remington in around 1866-67 to produce the Rolling Block and a good portion of them had the lockscrews. The RB in question is interesting. Since Simpsons deals in a lot of Swedish RB's there is a good possibility that it came from there and may be an early commercial model from Husqvarna/someone else or it may be a conversion of another firearm entirely. There may be a possibility that a standard Swedish large bore RB firing pin may fit as may the retainer screw. It's a pig in a poke though because of the "sealed breech" statement... I think that it's unusual and may be worth the challenge for someone.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I've seen many plugged chamber guns on Simpsons site, even little Husqvarna .22's and a couple of cool old Flobert rifles. I think in Sweden they are only allowed a small number of firearms, and if they want a new gun, they have to sell great grandpa's old gun, or have it de-milled by welding. Probably a wise practice, can you imagine what would happen if that roller got into the hands of a terrorist?

The differences that I see right off on this action are,
    Scalloped sides on receiver
    Hammer is shaped nicer and not as tall
    Trigger guard looks as though it's a separate part from the receiver
    The breech block / hammer pins appear to be slightly wider between them
    Top and bottom tangs are different lengths , bottom is longer

Jedman

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Rolling Block Rifle - Rare or BUBBA ??

Guessing game if you can save it or not.

I figured the "breech is sealed" meant the chamber, and not the breech block. But it should be a question to Simpson's prior to purchase. If it's the chamber, then a new barrel would fix it. Might reline the barrel and chamber it in a smaller US caliber, and have a nice shooter.
    I've never seen a receiver with the reshaping done like this? It's obvious that's older work, and no way to tell if it's original, or just very old work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I figured the "breech is sealed" meant the chamber, and not the breech block. But it should be a question to Simpson's prior to purchase.
    Anyone interested should certainly give Simpson's a call. I check their site at least once a day when they are open and more often when they start listing stuff I am interested in. I've seen lots of references to plugged bores but never "breech is sealed" so I don't know exactly what that means. I think they may have someone new doing some of the descriptions because a week or so ago there were references to "engraved stocks", what most of us would call checkered.

Salesman don't mind talking to you, just have the listing number when you call. It makes me wonder how they can say it has a VG bore if the bore/breech is plugged. But then, their good stock has completely worn checkering, several good size cracks at the butt and a big chunk missing near the receiver.

Neat but I talked myself out of it!

The outside of the action looks like it has been slimmed and rounded at the rear only, for the smaller/rounded wrist. Instead of the more square design.
    The top and bottom tang screw head and tail do not seem to line up. Odd???
    The breech block pin is slightly out of position, not all the way through the hole.
    The bottom trigger plate of the action looks to be able to come out and has a very nice tight parting line.

I called Simpsons and they said that the breech block is secured in such a way that it does not roll. Speculated it was welded inside action to keep it from rolling open.

Well I just got off the phone with Simpson's and their description is incorrect. The breech block is not sealed. The sales person said the rifle's bore is open, as s the firing pin hole in the breech block. But after cocking the hammer, the breech block wont drop back, so it's stuck, not blocked.
    I'll give you more details once it arrives. I couldn't pass up such a unique Rolling Block at $300 and I'm betting the pin is stuck in the breech block, and once freed up it will just require a firing pin, and possibly a new breech block pin. Since those firing pins are extremely simple to make, and I have lots of breech and hammer pins, it's an easy fix.

Boolit Master
    marlinman93, first, thank you for saving me from this! Second, I would be very interested in hearing your opinion of this thing once you have it in hand, and lastly I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for passing on it after I see what your magic can do with something like this. Congrats!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast