Boolit Buddy

Shooter Induced Malfunctions

Some food for thought.

Howard

Boolit Master

I enjoyed your video thank you
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Good video that will be helpful to lots of folks.

Banned
    Thank You HR, that was well done.

I occasionally teach new shooters and have encountered people that induce those malfunctions.
    Of the two, I've seen people push up on the slide stop and lock the slide open on loaded magazine more than push down on the slide stop and cause the slide to close on an empty mag.

Boolit Buddy
    In area's of shooting it is call limp wristing. Recoil operated shotguns will fail to eject
    and feed when not held properly. It will happen with gas operated rifles and shotguns
    if not shouldered tightly.

Boolit Master
    Good video Howard. I have induced both of those malfunctions on certain pistols and another , getting on the the mag release and dropping the mag mid stream(sig 938) all caused by my grip and not the gun.
    I am not a fan of oversized controls on carry guns for me they can add to the issues you demonstrated.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all! If you know anyone who might benefit from the info in the video, feel free to forward it to them.

Howard

Boolit Master
    Good video, good subject. Thank you.

At Thunder Ranch years ago Clint Smith said a lot of malfunctions were shooter inducted. He hit the subject of failure to seat a magazine during a reload as the number one cause of a malfunction, and this is shooter induced. He said don’t be a gunsmith and take your gun apart if it’s working for you and still has rounds it.

I was in a shooting and remembered Clint Smiths words when my 1911 sounded quiet when I fired it. I heard the spent shell casing and saw the slide was in battery and so I kept firing. It dawned on me at that time why we find live rounds on the ground during shootings. We practice drills, and our training tells us auditory suppression during a shooting is caused by stress. However I was not stressed during my shooting. Later I have learned that auditory suppression is caused by heightened visual focus.

The limp wrist I have seen more than once, all on 9mm pistols. I have never seen a rifle or shotgun that failed to cycle and fire due to not holding them tight. In fact never saw one you couldn’t fire while holding with one hand, including m60 machine gun.

[QUOTE= Later I have learned that auditory suppression is caused by heightened visual focus.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. I experienced this during archery competitions where there was a lot of noise in the area(Olympic tryouts are/were conducted in a crowded area outdoors). When you focus on aiming, all the other stuff disappears. There is only you and the target.
    The only thing that MIGHT bother you is getting physically touched by something or someone.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The limp wrist I have seen more than once, all on 9mm pistols. I have never seen a rifle or shotgun that failed to cycle and fire due to not holding them tight. In fact never saw one you couldn’t fire while holding with one hand, including m60 machine gun.
    Recoil operated stuff could be affected, gas operated should not. The M-60 fires from an open bolt and is gas operated.

Browning recoil operated rifles such as 8 & 81 and shotguns made on Browning patents will all fire and cycle if fired in one had. That goes for any other recoil operated rifle or shotgun that I can think of. I can’t think of one that won’t operate that way. It’s probably because the weight of the gun is enough resistance against recoil to cycle.
    If you have recoil operated long gun that is short stroking its more than likely spring problems or
    friction bushing problems in the shotguns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    This is very true. I experienced this during archery competitions where there was a lot of noise in the area(Olympic tryouts are/were conducted in a crowded area outdoors). When you focus on aiming, all the other stuff disappears. There is only you and the target.
    The only thing that MIGHT bother you is getting physically touched by something or someone.
    I have seen this many times when my kids and grandkids are watching cartoons. Many times we had to use the touch solution .🤪

Boolit Buddy
    The Franchi AL48 recoil operated shotgun will fail to cycle
    if not held tightly to the shoulder. The AL48 is very light for the gauge.
    It uses the Browning long recoil system of operation.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen both of those types of problems happen over the years, but by far the most common malfunction occasioned by miss-operation of a pistol is failure to fully seat a magazine. I've seen some pretty good competitors do a tap, rap, bang drill in a match when the mag they thought they had slammed home didn't quite catch. One of the reason you see bumper pads on competition 1911 mags is exactly to prevent that embarrassment.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    In watching John Correia’s Active Self Protection vids, I have probably seen in the dozens of malfs with autoloading pistols ranging from pot metal terrors to brand names that include all the types beloved by the various drinkers of koolaid perfection.

Autoloaders puke fairly frequently in the hands of cops and bad guys alike. If it is you, knock it off and manipulate the pistol correctly.....but recognize that stress will cause you to do something stupid at some point. Fumble finger jams on guns claimed to be super reliable is a stoppage nobody wants to talk about. Which means the super reliable autoloader isn’t any better than you are if you do something wrong, and autoloaders are notoriously unforgiving of mishandling even if otherwise well maintained.

Interestingly, haven’t seen a jam of a revolver under the same situations yet, but admittedly they are not as common in his vids as the autoloaders. Still that is something to consider. They don’t hold as much ammo but for the rounds already in the gun they seem to be considerably less prone to human induced behavior causing them not to go bang.

Boolit Master
    I knew it was gonna be a 1911 in that video, just from reading the “post’ “ title.

“Tap-Rack-Bang”.... “Stovepipes”...... double-feeds.....mismanipulation of the safety.....
    and what else is related......relieved Mag wells and ejection ports, polished feed ramps, Mag bump pads, pinned grip safeties.... a gun that self-disassembles when the slide release pin shears during firing. What other “helps” are needed..... beavertail safeties, arched main spring housings, oversized slide release levers... ambi-dexterous
    safeties......only shoot “ ball “ ammo ?!

Back when I was an NRA certified handgun instructor, the failure to fire due to limp wristing of the gun was a phenomena I only saw occur when those particular shooters were using a 1911 ( all were .45ACP as it happens ).
    Some of the shooters were female, but not all.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master

Limp wristing is the most common shooter induced malfunction I have observed. Next is lack of maintenance but I do some gunsmith on the side so I tend to see guns and shooters that have issues.

On a Debbie Downer note I don't like being swiped by the muzzle in real or as a viewer.

Do it in person the first time you will get a tail chewing like you have never had before. The second time you will get knocked on your butt.

Yeah it may be just a camera but if you can't do video's without muzzle sweeping the viewer maybe video production isn't for you.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-02-2020 at 02:12 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    For what it is worth, limp wrist jams are easier to induce with plastic framed pistols than steel framed ones.

And the malfs I spoke of in the videos had Glocks represented more than any other single brand. Mostly because there are a lot of them being used, and also because an autoloader held by a human definitely does not approach perfection no matter what their ads claim.

Boolit Grand Master