Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: probably my last major powder order

Banned

probably my last major powder order

Just ordered 6 kegs of 2230 and 6 kegs of the aa2 surplus equiv. Considering ive got about every piece of brass in the house already loaded so could probably go 3-5 years without loading a 233 9mm 40 or 45acp and the fact im 64 this could be my last major powder order. Guess my neighbor and good friend whos a year older then me and in just as good of shape dropped dead of a stroke 2 weeks ago it got me thinking

Boolit Master
    glad to hear you getting powder.

Sad to hear about your buddy

Boolit Master

Lloyd could I ask where you buy powder from???

Banned

jeff bartlett and powder valley. Up here 5gunner its mail order or overpriced one lb cans if you can even find them.

Boolit Master
    Hang in there Lloyd! I'm 79 and still buying powder when I canget a good buy on it..
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

As long as you're still confident buying green bananas---- its all good bro.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I am 78 and scaling back a bit on the buying front. I am not quitting but I don't want to leave my family a mess to straighten out when the Lord calls me home. james

Boolit Master
    96 pounds of powder, just you shooting it up, hope you have a 338 LM to make a dent in that! It isn't that daunting. Shooting 223s at 100 rounds per week that is only a 5 year supply. But if half the powder is going into handgun calibers, then maybe 50 223 per week and 800 handgun rounds per week, you will be ready to buy again in 5 years. Get shooting! Good luck keeping up on your casting, PCing and reloading! I know you must own at least one Dillon. Reloading room pics please!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned

A 550 and 3 lnl progressives.
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    96 pounds of powder, just you shooting it up, hope you have a 338 LM to make a dent in that! It isn't that daunting. Shooting 223s at 100 rounds per week that is only a 5 year supply. But if half the powder is going into handgun calibers, then maybe 50 223 per week and 800 handgun rounds per week, you will be ready to buy again in 5 years. Get shooting! Good luck keeping up on your casting, PCing and reloading! I know you must own at least one Dillon. Reloading room pics please!

Banned

old picture reloading room is much more finished today. insulated, dry walled and Even have a big screen tv, fridge, stove, microwave and ac. A guy could add a bed mat and live there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	261736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	261737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	261738

Boolit Master
    Way, way, too clean and organized. You obviously spent too much money on reloading gear and can’t afford brass, , bullets, powder, guns, ect ect ect...

I’ve got tons (literally!) of brass, lead, gear that are boxed and stacked in rows in the floor as I’m too cheap to buy shelves... Not to mention the sagging shelves I do have...

But, I’m also 64, and feeling the mortality...

Boolit Master
    Nice equipment sir, you can blow through that powder if you apply yourself! Might have to rotate reloading and shooting days, they are both time well spent. I always say, I will shoot more when/if I make it to retirement. I have a decade of work left before the real fun starts for me. I need to get my many little loading projects finished before I would share a pic of my loading area. Thanks for sharing.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned

Powder and primers and ammo are in a separate room with 8 inch poured concrete walls. Had a fire in my last barn and lost everything and the barn bunred down in minutes and sounded like the forth of July. When I rebuilt it I rebuilt it so that same wouldn't happen again. basically the firefighters had to stand back and let it burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Way, way, too clean and organized. You obviously spent too much money on reloading gear and can’t afford brass, , bullets, powder, guns, ect ect ect...

I’ve got tons (literally!) of brass, lead, gear that are boxed and stacked in rows in the floor as I’m too cheap to buy shelves... Not to mention the sagging shelves I do have...

But, I’m also 64, and feeling the mortality...

Lloyd, are the powder, primers, and ammo all in the same room? That is where I am now with the house I bought when I retired but will do it differently if I ever build.
    Tony

USMC 77, USRA 79

1/2 the fun is setting it all up, tinkering to get it the way you want it, and then finding the next piece and where to put it....

way to go Lloyd!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    This week shipped a Dillon 1050 and 550 out to members here.

I still have one of each. Turning 70 this year and part of the downsizing I started a decade ago. But like Lloyd, I have a "few" components. LOL
    Don Verna

Banned

yup but like I said its about blast proof. 8 inch poured concrete with rebar. After seeing my powder primers and ammo burn down a steel pole barn (and I mean melted) it in 20 minutes I would never again store powder or primers in the house and the only ammo in the house are the loaded mags. Granted probably more of them then I should have. Firefighters told me it was like the forth of july and the center of the fire was white hot. I still find ammo that cooked off in my yard 8 years later. Some as far as 30 yards away. I hear all the time about ammo cooking off and how it cant hurt you. Well there was part of one wall still standing and I wish you guys could have seen that. It was FULL of holes from ammo cooking off. Now if ammo will penetrate pole barn steel and or travel 30 yards what chance do you think it has of penetrating your t shirt??
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Lloyd, are the powder, primers, and ammo all in the same room? That is where I am now with the house I bought when I retired but will do it differently if I ever build.
    Tony

Banned

Good lesson, Lloyd. I've been fortunate enough to have a detached building to do my reloading in for the past 25 years or so. Keeping that stuff in the house always worried me.

That said, seems like a five gallon can of gasoline most of us keep around for lawn mowers and such would be more inherently dangerous at least from a perspective of starting a fire. Be safe out there.

Boolit Master
    Never say never!

I refrain from saying “I will never do that again” .... instead I say, ”It is less likely that I will be doing that again”

Lloyd certainly has some nice stuff and a good place to utilize it with!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”