Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freechex Tool???

Before I place that order with Pat, is anybody making a one pass check maker?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was wondering the same thing about either making or buying a punch/forming tool which will form a check with one stroke a-la the Freechex type tool. I was looking at Sage Outdoors PB checks, but I'd rather use annealed copper (or annealed aluminum) for the material. I read that the aluminum PB checks sometimes tear when swaged into place unless they're lubed somehow (case lube?) or the sizer has a polished entry. Can anyone comment on this? I foind annealed copper sheet stock online in various thicknesses. Thought I'd give it a try, but I need the tool.

In Remembrance

This is the one you want!!!!

http://www.freechex.net/photo_i.html

Charlie, while trying to retire (he's older tyhan dirt) will help you out.
    In my humble opinion, the Marlin soda can gas check tools are for thin gas checks. You should not have to "double up soda cans" to get them to fit, nor should you have to super glue them on. I have about a dozen sizes of Charlie's FreeChex, and have made tens of thousands of gas checks with them. I also keep our British friend with the rolls of aluminum strip stock busy. That's the best way to get the strip stock. I use FreeChex tools for rifle gas checks in .22 size up to 50 BMG cal, and pistol in sizes from 9mm all the way up to 500 S&W Magnum (charlie made me some inserts to use the one tool to make both the 50 BMG and 500 S&W Magnum checks in one tool.)

That's the way I would go

PS, When I need checks that I don;t make, I always go to Sages!! They will treat you very good. In fact, unless you are willing to tool up (gas check tools, arbor press, strip stock), and have enough volume to support all that, you are better off just calling Shamus Sage, and placing an order. He's a good guy, and works hard for your business. https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/gas-checks/
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 09-09-2020 at 06:04 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Yes, see my reply, just previous!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    Before I place that order with Pat, is anybody making a one pass check maker?

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    This is the one you want!!!!

http://www.freechex.net/photo_i.html

Charlie, while trying to retire (he's older tyhan dirt) will help you out.
    In my humble opinion, the Marlin soda can gas check tools are for thin gas checks. You should not have to "double up soda cans" to get them to fit, nor should you have to super glue them on. I have about a dozen sizes of Charlie's FreeChex, and have made tens of thousands of gas checks with them. I also keep our British friend with the rolls of aluminum strip stock busy. That's the best way to get the strip stock. I use FreeChex tools for rifle gas checks in .22 size up to 50 BMG cal, and pistol in sizes from 9mm all the way up to 500 S&W Magnum (charlie made me some inserts to use the one tool to make both the 50 BMG and 500 S&W Magnum checks in one tool.)

That's the way I would go

PS, When I need checks that I don;t make, I always go to Sages!! They will treat you very good. In fact, unless you are willing to tool up (gas check tools, arbor press, strip stock), and have enough volume to support all that, you are better off just calling Shamus Sage, and placing an order. He's a good guy, and works hard for your business. https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/gas-checks/
    Charlie is still doing them!!!!! YEA!!! I cant find my 44cal Freechex II

Duke, do you know if he still makes the Freechex II?
    It was a lot easier when I lived 15 minutes down the 101 freeway from him... I guess its time to call him

Oh and are you saying that you can still get coil from Yonky?
    How do I get a hold of him? I have lots left but if I can get a couple more Check makers from Charlie then I would need more.

With the patMarlin check makers I am using Yonky's .006 coil and they work great!! I have cutting up aluminum cans for checks.

Doc

In Remembrance

Yes, Yonky merely shut down his USA warehouse. But we get quick and timely shipments from the UK!
    My buddy, PeeWee (maybe he will chime in here) has been handling the ordering and has Yonky's contact information.

The FreeChex III are easier for Charlie to make, and it was his preference to go that way. They were a little more expensive than the FreeChex II, but the versions of the III that I have are flawless.

The .006" strip is too thin for 44 caliber checks in my opinion. I use .014" material for those. The really thin stuff is only OK for .22 cal rifle bullets in my opinion. I would not even use that for 30 cal bullets. For my 500 S&W Mag gas checks, I am using .023" thick stock. Try to do those with .006" soda can crap.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I just use the thin stuff for PB GC's
    for my 45 Cal I have his .017 and they turn out perfect, I dont have any .014 to try

Banned
    I get my copper here
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/Co...ad-Soft/132130

I use
    Country of origin : United States
    Metal type : Copper
    Hardness : Dead-soft

Dimensions : .010" (0.26mm)
    Gauge/thickness : 30 ga.

Dimensions : .013" (0.33mm)
    Gauge/thickness : 28 ga.

Duke,

I sent Charlie and email a few days back, with no response. Is there a better way to contact him? I really want to get a couple of his check makers.

Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Due to lack of ability to keep a website up properly and ship tools to folks that wanted them had me pulling my hair out. Hair loss due to cancer was actually minor. Chemo brain has taken its toll though. I often wonder if I really knew anything at all. Addition and subtraction is no longer a problem as I am almost fully recovered. The psyche is much better . Furthermore, I don't recommend ever being on a ventilator for ANY reason. Nice to see the photo of the 223 tool is still up with the Freechex website abandoned. Charlie

Banned
    Its's good to hear from you Charlie and to find that you are doing better.

I'm a big fan of your check makers.

I'm assuming Charlie is no longer in the business. Is anybody else making a one pass check maker? I know I asked before, this is the last time I will ask.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Boolit Buddy
    I can confirm Charlie is out of the business of making Freechex III gas check makers. Talked to him Monday and his machines are no longer setup to make them. He can not find anyone to make them on the side and make money on them. This is a limited market and people may not be willing to pay a higher price for a product that is very well designed.

In Remembrance

Looks like a business opportunity for someone willing to use the drawings that are well in circulation, to take over the business area. Charlie would certainly be willing to provide discussion, guidance, and technical support for anyone wanting to get into this. He can tell you what machinery is needed, and might even share his own drawings, and insight, etc....

If someone is really serious about doing this, please do not drag your butt...... While Charlie is alive and well, but just out of the active making of Check Making tools, that all could change at any time, and then all that valuable knowledge is lost.

There is a lot of demand for tools to make gas checks using this FreeChex (II and III) tool style. And, I'm sure Charlie would be a willing silent partner to get you going.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Looks like a business opportunity for someone willing to use the drawings that are well in circulation, to take over the business area. Charlie would certainly be willing to provide discussion, guidance, and technical support for anyone wanting to get into this. He can tell you what machinery is needed, and might even share his own drawings, and insight, etc....

If someone is really serious about doing this, please do not drag your butt...... While Charlie is alive and well, but just out of the active making of Check Making tools, that all could change at any time, and then all that valuable knowledge is lost.

There is a lot of demand for tools to make gas checks using this FreeChex (II and III) tool style. And, I'm sure Charlie would be a willing silent partner to get you going.
    If this is accurate I'd like to chat Charlie

Boolit Buddy
    Read my post #33 and the information is correct. Charlie is out of the business for good. Bought one of his last 357 Freechex III gas check makers just to see how they work and how they were made. My goal was to use it on a punch press that I have setup but there were to many issues for it to work at a higher rate of speed. Using a hand press I guess it works as designed. As with all the other gas check makers they have to be made to the bullet your casting, one size will not work for any bullet. The one I received the finished gas check ID was to small, very hard to start the gas check. Had the same problem with the other two step ones sold on this forum. Years ago setup the punch press using commercial blanking and cupping dies. Made 44/cal gas checks which came out perfect and fit correctly. They could not be pried off when seated. The gas check ID has to be made to the shank OD of the bullet being casted. If they fit loose they will not seat correctly and can probably easily be removed.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently got a SharpShooter "One Stroke" maker for regular 44 mag checks and am very happy with it. (Home page link: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/). Look at the catalog. Takes a hefty press to make 44's. Don't know about press needs for smaller checks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12