RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 45, 450, 4500 push thru sizer?

Boolit Master

45, 450, 4500 push thru sizer?

As I was doing some sizing today it occurred to me if I pulled out the “I” rod and moved the plunger out of the way woudent I effectively have a push thu sizer for something like the Lee .38 DEWC that is tumble lubed? Probably not a new idea but seems feasible.

Since I don’t have a Lee push thru Sizer currently when I size them I do one end then flip the bullet to size the other, since I can’t seem to push them deep enough to size for a single stroke on any of my sizers, so it takes a while just to do 50 bullets

Figure just hang a sand pail below and size away letting each bullet push the one before and clear the die with something like a 30-30 bullet

Thoughts?

And yes, I know the Lee sizer is cheap and readily available..

Boolit Master
    If you're not using the lube capacity of the Lyman, then yes, it works just fine as you describe, you can fold a little sheet metal thing to guide the dropping bullets into whatever catcher you're planning to use.

On a separate note, the Lyman sizers I have/had all could easily size the full length of a WC in a single stroke, and I'm kind of wondering how you have the press adjusted?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

search for cigarmans posts on this, he was selling a little adapter to make it work better. I got one of the prototypes and it did work just fine.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Yes, it does work quite well, but you may want/need to lube the CB's first to prevent them sticking in the die. This has happened to me several times and it required a propane torch to melt them out, then dropping the die into ATF. Needless to say, I no longer do this and rely on Lee push through sizers for a fast and effective solution.

Boolit Grand Master

Getting a Lee or NOE push through sizer is the best route but the Lyman presses can be use with just the "H" die as you mentioned. I have done so in the past with bullets I don't have a push through sizer for, especially with long skinny Loverin bullets or soft cast bullets to damaging the bullets when sizing. With the longer bullets it is sometimes necessary to remove the push rod and its bolt guide and nut also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I've made several special top extended top punches that make it easier. No special stuff and you can make them with an electric drill and a file. The key is to make the TP as long as possible and still allow the bullet to be seated in the die. We finally go tired of this and made an adapter that took Lyman or RCBS sizers in a 7/8 X 14 adapter. Modified a Lee shell holder and made 5 rods that fit in the shell holder to accommodate all size bullets. Worked in a standard press (I'm using a couple of Rock Chuckers). The perfesser made a few of these kits and maybe someone picked it up. Works slick as long as you have a sizing die of the diameter you want. A little lube of some kind on the bullet is required./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I did it with PC bullets and didn't need any lube
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

The Op said he was tumble lubing his wad cutters. So size away.
    You might want to look at Lee's AP press and suizing kits. Veery quick and easy to use.
    I like mine.
    Leo