Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Eye and hearing pro with glasses

Boolit Master

Eye and hearing pro with glasses

I was out today in the rain trying some new loads and enjoying being able to actually see with my new glasses. Between them and giving up coffee a week or so ago, I could actually hit what I was aiming at.
    But I took a piece of brass to the left eye, ejected straight up, bounced off the roof and down behind my glasses.
    If I had been wearing a ball cap it wouldn’t have happened.
    So I grabbed my over the glasses eye pro with yellow lenses. I forgot how nice the yellow lenses are on an overcast day.
    I also remembered why I don’t wear them more. With glasses and safety glasses my ear muffs do not seal. Old school thick ones do better, the thin Howard Leight impact sports do not seal. And I was out of my preferred ear plugs to double up, the ones I had just do not work for me, they don’t seal well.

So to get both decent eye and ear protection I see the following options-

1.Dedicated prescription safety glasses

2. Contacts. Wore them starting at 9 years old, stopped years ago and have tried them a few times since, just can’t get into them anymore.

3. Good (fitted) ear plugs, but I love my electronic muffs, I have found them to enhance safety when around unsafe/uncaring people at the range.

Good ear plugs would be best for long guns.
    I have a set of electronic in the ear protection. I liked them until I started to have ringing in my ears after a long session, just not enough sound reduction for me, they live in my glove box now.

I normally double up on ear pro and definitely do when shooting long guns, I guess I have sensitive ears.

Any suggestions on other options or on good in ear protection that doesn’t cost a fortune?

I am thinking about heading back to Texas for a visit and a hog hunt. Electronic in ear would be nice, there is a lot of shooting when we bounce a good sounder and I didn’t wear ear pro hunting before. I have paid the price for that and don’t wish to repeat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Option #1 is probably your best choice. I'm in the same boat as you are, only I wear hearing aids, also.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had brass bounce behind safety glasses while wearing a ball cap on the line. It was not pleasant.

I find that ear pro and eye pro is like anything else, there's not one solution that is perfect for every scenario. In your situation I'd use the electronic ear muffs for pistol range practice with clear lense safety glasses indoors.

Outdoors change to tinted safety glasses with same ear muffs on cooler days or foam plugs on warmer days because I don't like my ears getting sweaty. For long guns I mostly use foam plugs.

On a hunt those in ear electronic plugs sound like a good option but if it were cold then electronic ear muffs come back out. It just depends on the situation and tailored to your preferences.

If concerned about unsafe or uncaring people then I'd go home. Its just not worth it to me.

Boolit Master
    Agreed, worked in a very noisey power plant. Company had these crappy ear muffs that connected to your hard hat. Then went to work in a tank farm. Noisy electric pumps, another a screaming 6000 horse power gas turbine. Now I religiously wear hearing protection driving the riding lawn mower, my Kubota diesel tractor and any gas yard tool like a weedwhacker,lawn mower,pole saw. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post

If concerned about unsafe or uncaring people then I'd go home. Its just not worth it to me.
    The issue was I wouldn’t know they were unsafe except I heard them telling their friend they were going down range. While I was standing there, finger on the trigger ready to shoot on a hot line.
    And he knew I was there, we had spoken earlier.

Also I am an instructor and need to be able to hear my students.

I normally try not to shoot around other people, just too many issues. If the range is busy, I go fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

#3. My son and I have each been fitted. Only issue is it is hard to hear conversations so I end up just tilting a bottom section out some. They work really nice with the sound amplifier over the ear muffs when not rifle shooting.

I wear prescription safety glasses. When shooting anything centerfire indoors or outdoors I wear plugs and muffs both. Outdoors with 22lr rifle, I use either plugs or muffs unless there is another shooter around, in which case I double up again.
    I have hearing loss from decades in a loud manufacturing plant. I want to keep what I have left.
    With the combination of plugs and muffs, I get a great reduction in noise level. The plugs are rated around 25db and so are the muffs. I don't have any problem with the muffs sealing over the glasses.

Boolit Master
    My prescription glasses are safety glasses and if there are other shooters near me have found a GI style boonie hat works well to keep the brass from hitting my face. Like the electronic muffs, forget now what brand mine are, think maybe Caldwell.

Boolit Master

Next time i get glasses . Im not getting the photogrey option. Im happy with how the lab did with the focal point for seeing my sights and beyond though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.