MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: .45 shot capsule in a .410 smooth bore?

Boolit Mold

.45 shot capsule in a .410 smooth bore?

Anybody ever shoot a .45 Speer Shot Capsule down a .410 smooth bore using MagTech or .45 Colt brass. Question is, does it act like a slug or do you get a pattern?

I can't answer your question but I am curious why would you want to do this? Probably cheaper to handload a 410 shotshell than use the speer capsules.

BB

Boolit Master

Some people just like to experiment, or to answer questions that enter the mind.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Base diameter of .410 chamber is .474", whereas max. cartridge diameter of .45 Colt base in front of rim is .480. Likely that .45 Colt case will not fit. .44 Magnum will be too small and split. .44-40 case may fit if chamber is "sloppy," but unless .410 cylinder bore is .425" cylindrical or larger, factory .44-40 bulleted rounds will split the muzzle at the choke cone, which I happen to know from experience.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    The 410 measures .410 diameter and a shot cup measures .451.
    That's .041 thousands difference or bigger than the 410 bore.
    That should boost pressures sky high. If not bulging the barrel it just might
    rupture the brass case.

But it is your gun and life, remember Darwin always wins no matter not!!

As this doesn't seem to be TOO serious a thread, I'll throw out this trivia. 44-40 rounds can be fired in a break barrel 444 Marlin forming a strait wall these could be loaded with a shot load and fired in your 410 as a short shell, although I'm not sure why you would want to. The neck of a 44-40 is pretty thin and after blowing it out I suspect the case wouldn't last long. Gp

You can also buy the Starline 5 in 1 blank cases and load these in your .410, .38-40, .44 Magnum, .44-40 or .45 Colt.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You can use 444 Marlin brass in a 410 and load a Speer 44 shot cup with shot but don't put in a slug bigger than your muzzle inside diameter. The 45 shot capsul is too big to fit inside any case that will fit in a 410 chamber. If you loaded a 45 shot capsul in the chamber ahead of a powdered case you may be needing a doctor or possibly a mortician.

Boolit Mold
    The MagTech .410 brass takes a .450 OS wad so a .452 Speer shot capsule should fit. A .45 Colt fits in the chamber of my Winchester M-37 just fine. The muzzle measures .400 and that should break up the plastic to liberate the shot. If I had a Pressure Trace II and a long string I might try it. No real reason for doing this, just curious. Could be I've been on lockdown too long.

Boolit Master
    A 45 Colt case is supposed to be .480 od and a 410 chamber at the back is supposed to be .478 id but with manufacturing tolerances and an older gun that may have opened a bit you could possibly fit a 45Colt in a 410. But I don't know what would happen if you shot a .450 shot capsule through a .400 muzzle and I'm not interested in trying it in my gun.

Using the 444 Marlin case and an inverted 44cal gc you can get 3/4oz of shot and an OS wad in the case the same as the early 410 loads with no worries of splitting your muzzle.

The Speer shot capsules don't hold much shot so it seems to me that would be a step backwards. 3/4 oz of # 9 shot gives a pretty dense pattern at 25/30 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Some people just like to experiment, or to answer questions that enter the mind.
    My Mind is just full of questions!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You can also buy the Starline 5 in 1 blank cases and load these in your .410, .38-40, .44 Magnum, .44-40 or .45 Colt.
    I have a “44 shotgun” which used to be a 44-40 round with a shot capsule; wondering out load if this might be a solution to making a round that might work in it.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Quote Originally Posted by Powersgt View Post
    I have a “44 shotgun” which used to be a 44-40 round with a shop capsule; wondering out load if this might be a solution to making a round that might work in it.
    I sometimes use a .390 ball inserted and crimped on top of the shot charge instead of a top wad. The ball must be small enough to fall through the choke of its own weight to avoid bursting the muzzle at the choke constriction. My cylinder bore .410 was a full choke until as a stupid kid I shot a .44-40 round in it and the muzzle split and opened up like the hood of a cobra. Cutting off the barrel behind the split, the remaining bore is .425 and it shoots round balls fairly well, but .44-40 cowboy loads keyhole.

Attachment 261854Attachment 261855Attachment 261856Attachment 261857Attachment 261858Attachment 261859
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-09-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I make 410 creepy critter getters using worn out hulls. I cut the worn folds off and load with the same load that is used in Speer 38 shot cups. Wads are punched from card board and the overshot wad glued in. There is a big difference in loads fired from a rifled bore versus a smooth one. Not really an answer to your question but a cheep way to load shells for pest.

Like Outpost75 I have played with the 390 round ball, the ball will go through my full choke with light thumb pressure. It's not really rifle accurate it did surprise me, it could be a short range survival weapon.

While not a super anything I find the 410 to be rather useful and a lot of fun and it doesn't beat me up.