MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR build. 6.5 Grendel vs .300 Blackout?

Don't pin/weld a suppressor to a 10" barrel unless you have two suppressors. You'll want to use that thing on every gun you own. Open a trust first, then apply for your stamp. Been down that Form1 road.

Build what you want. Nobody is going to do it for you... 223 is boring but works. 300blk is cheap and loves cast boolits. 6.5 Grendel is exotic, sexy, and ballistically superior. 450 Bush is big but indexes off the case mouth. Same problem for 350 Legend. 300 Hamr, 458 Socom, and 6.8 SPC are great but with a small following in the tacticool crowd. Shame.

Animals are rarely killed past 200 yards.

I've taken quite a few deer with proper, handloaded 223 under 100 yards using Speer 70gr and Sierra 65gr. Don't use Barnes bullets in 223 for deer. They pencil right through even though they expand.

I have no doubts the 300Blk would work great at the same ranges with a wider variety of bullets. But whatever you do, don't shoot elk with a 300Blk. Poor thing deserves better.
    Last edited by davidheart; 05-01-2020 at 12:39 AM.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I think next time I’ll build a 6.8 SPC because I’ve seen Cuz use his to run up a good one shot each tally of pigs, bucks, and coyotes at a maximum 200 yards from his blind. And .270 component bullets are reasonable. It might even do cast well.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've yet to see a review of any .224 Valykrie rifle that turned in acceptable accuracy at 100 yards.
    The .224 Valykrie was designed for the PRS game to mag feed the 90 to 100 grain bullets. It does feed them however as you pointed out competitive accuracy has been an issue. Unless you are actually shooting 90 grain or heavier bullets the .224 Valykrie has little or no any benefits over the standard .223. For most hunting applications the 22 Nosler will out perform either.

For deer hunting I would go with the 6.5 Grendel. Best for medium sized game is the 30 RAR but that cartridge is on life support.

For suppressed the .300 Blackout is hard to beat.

One paper the .224 Valkyrie rocks. In the winners circled not so much.

Some good comparisons here:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/224-v...omplete-guide/

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/224-valkyrie/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

Don't know. Ive got elanders and alexander arms mags and they all run a 100 percent in my gun short ones and long ones. Sounds to me like you just had a peace of crap or didn't know how to load for it. Mine hasn't missed a beat yet. Darned accurate to boot. 45 posts?? I just wonder a few years from know how much smarter we will all be because of your surely knowlegable suggestions. Seems like so far your the only one here that couldn't get there Grendel to run So tell us old wise one. Which round would you choose for an ar15 to hunt deer out to 200 yards. Make sure your suggestion outsells the obsolete grendel and has at least close to the power.
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    The 6.5 Grendel was obsolete the day it was created. It should have been a 6mm in the first place.

Couldn't disagree more about the mags. The shorter ones were maybe 80% reliable, and the longer ones were absolute garbage. I tried every brand of Grendel mags there were. Granted, I was using a 40* shoulder cartridge, but I can't imagine they would have been much better with pure Grendel. There's a reason AK mags are curved as much as they are.

Banned

Out of curiosity, do you have any experience with the 6.5 Grendel, or just the wildcat you mentioned that's based off of it?
    I think the answer to that is pretty obvious Aaron. Im about sure his trigger finger does a lot more tapping then pulling.

25-45 Sharps , decent bullet selection, cheap brass, accurate, zero magazine issues.

You all are right about building AR’s I built six using better components as I learned what I liked . The 24-45 is my last one just to use a Wyoming companies products. It shoots very well with no real use for it other than it’s the best quality AR I own .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D602A21B-FA8C-4DD5-9CDB-5A5185796278.jpg  

Banned

That one really interests me randy. Wish psa or someone else would pick it up and offer lower priced uppers for it. Be as good or almost as good as my Grendel with brass you can pick up cheap anywhere. Got no use for it??? Send it to me and ill kill 20 or 30 deer with it this fall!!!

The cartridge does suffer from lack of competition/attention from other manufactures. I have been using 6mm/.223 load data with good results with several powders and Sierra 87 grn. bullets@3K FPS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    The cartridge does suffer from lack of competition/attention from other manufactures. I have been using 6mm/.223 load data with good results with several powders and Sierra 87 grn. bullets@3K FPS
    I think the issue with it is that it didn't quite deliver what it promised (the same with the 224 Valk), and it fills a niche that was already filled. 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel both were similar enough and already popular enough to make the 25-45 kind of a moot point. Even now, the 6.8 SPC has fallen out of favor and is nowhere near as popular as it used to be. The 6.5 Grendel beat it out. The 25-45 didn't have much of a chance. If you want a round to survive for the AR, it going to have to beat the 6.5 Grendel for long range/hunting purposes.

It's not that it's a bad round, it's that it's not a game changing round.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give the grendel a vote. there's plenty of 7.63x39 brass to pick up at my local range, and they're just a full length size and 1 reload away from being fine grendel brass with big primers to boot. (300 can be made from .223 with some more steps)
    my shooting buddy has a 300blk. cost-wise they're too close to make a difference if you reload, except I can get wolf steel case for $6 a box, and he can't.
    out to 150yds, it's a wash for deer or hog hunting.
    any beyond that, and the grendel pulls ahead.
    neither are PRS cartridges, and neither are any good for game much bigger than deer.
    he likes shooting suppressed...300 wins.
    I like ringing steel out at 300yds+...grendel wins.
    The two applications couldn't be much more different.
    our guns cost about the same from the same manufacturer.
    His gun jams quite a bit on re-sized and cut down .223 brass...we'll get it worked out soon enough.
    Mine runs 100% on my reloads. we both use Lee dies. Maybe I just got lucky.
    I guess if I was chasing hollywood level suppression like he does I'd have problems too.
    It all depends on what you need the gun to do.
    for blasting varmints out in his field(our only actual useful purpose) there's no discernable difference until ranges get long or the wind blows too hard.
    most of the time it doesn't matter anyway because our shots are rarely super long to begin with.
    I'll probably get a 300blk anyway just because they're cool.

I have 2 BO, love them. Does what I want, ~10$/100 loaded with cast. If you want a bit more performance, 300Hamer or 40WT. Just more space for powder and die are a bit more. I just use the Lee BO die, no problem but do need to neck turn converted brass. Only do it once. Need more rifle, 30/30 or 308W.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    I would not do a pinned and welded supressor. They are like crack, once you get one you will want to use on on more barrels.
    Also you can push any bullet any speed through a can just buy the right can.

IE: read what the can is rated for.

All my cans are rated full auto, take apart, and are made of Stainless steel accept one old skewl can.

See a pattern here?

Rich

Can you shoot cast bullets in an AR platform due the the fast twist rate? The suggested max RPM limit of 140000 limits MV to about 1400 ft/sec, I have hit that limit with my 6.5 Swede hence my question. I have a Bear Creek upper with no reliability or feeding issues shooting cast 7.62x39 with my mags.
    Last edited by JMax; 05-14-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you mean cast through a ar 300 blkout then yes.

Around somewhere are my mold specs in another thread B&M mold that drops 180 with straight ww. 12 grns 4895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12