Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger bisley

Boolit Master
    As DougGuy mentioned (and you can measure it) the Ruger Bisley grip does have less "room" behind the triggerguard. Also Contender mentioned a Jack Huntington Bisley and how well it handled recoil and no knuckle busting. Having a JRH gripframe (SBH grip mod), he does some grinding on the frame behind the triggerguard to give it more room. My Super Blackhawk JRH frame mod had the front of the frame made straight like the Bisley and the back was left with the regular RBH angle and length added to the bottom. Really really nice work and dropdead beautiful grips. Not inexpensive! The revolver this work was done on was a SS 4 5/8" SBH and it was ridiculous with heavy loads before, but more controllable afterwards. It'll never be a nice revolver with heavy loads though.

The Bisley gripframe is truly a love it or not thing mainly because of the closeness behind the triggerguard IMO. There is another option now with a Wells gripframe. You'll have to pay for it, fit it, and then add the grips but he has so many options. We're getting into the custom gun effort and price here though.

Boolit Grand Master

The principal problem with a definitive answer the O.P. brings up is that each one of us has different sized hands and fingers. As an example, I have a "medium to large" hand but a fellow member of my gun club has hands that absolutely dwarf mine. To even consider that the same grip frame would work for us both is just flat in error. Each of us has to work out what works best for US!

As an example, my personal preference in single action grip frames is the Ruger Flat Top plow handle grip with Pachmayr grips. I can shoot the heaviest loads without issue. No pain and excellent control. The "as issued" grip frame will work "reasonably well" when I tuck my little finger under the butt. I have a Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt and when using a 250 gr. bullet over a case full of Swiss 3F (nearly 1000 fps.) I can shoot it all day long but it is at my limit of recoil tolerance. Keep in mind that a case full of Swiss 3f will recoil markedly more than an equivalent smokeless load.

So, the takeaway, is that each of us must find what works for us and then apply that information for the best possible results. FOR US...

Dale53

Indeed ... great reply's fella's. Thanks.

Banner Sponsor

I have a 500JRH in a BFR with the Micarta grips w 5.25" barrel, I also have a 5.5" 500 Linebaugh in a Ruger Bisley. With similar bullet weights and velocities, the Bisley is more comfortable to me. The BFR will bite by knuckle, where the Bisley will not. I also have a BFR in 475 and with the stock grips, it wasn't very pleasant to shoot. I modified a set of Houge MonoGrips for a SBH and put them on and now it's much more pleasant to shoot.

Just to be clear concerning that ever popular plow handle grip frame.

The weapon it arrived on was the first revolving gun. For ignition, they had the best of the day in the percussion caps. Thesr caps , upon ignition, at times would and do come apart and drops bits into the action where upon the revolver would and do jam tight or smash a cap or parts thereof under the hammer making the weapon fail to fire.

One of the ways to counteract this ... allowing the revolver to tip up pointing to the sky allowing the spent cap to escape.

The slight recoil coupled with this action is better enabled with the plow handle style grip. The next thing that is figured in with this upward roll is that the hammer spur becomes closer to your wrist therefore bringing the hammer spur closer to your thumb enabling an easier cocking for the next shot.

Now many years later and medium to large cal cartridges producing much more recoil then either the original 36 and 44 cal round ball loads that produce absolutely nothing in the recoil dept as even a +P 38 special.

Kinda like those snazzy crescent buttplates on rifles chambered in 45-70 or even more ... the 375 H&H mag.

Seems as tho historic styles do not warp over into modern developments producing more power and resultant recoil.

Just thinkin outloud. Gotta wonder how folks or critters got tougher to deal with that brought about the need for these high recoiling rounds. Seems like there is still nothing wrong with the old easy recoiling rounds of yesteryear

Boolit Master
    My 45 Colt Ruger Bisley is about the nicest shooting revolver I own. Though I shoot mostly only Colt loads through it I do shoot some top end Ruger loads through it and recoil is a pussycat compared to the SBH 44 magnum with plow handle with comparable loads I have.

Boolit Master
    Dale53 has put forth an excellent post. His information is spot on, and something I normally put out. Each of us are different & our hand sizes are not uniform. As such, what works for one, may not work for another.

That said, my original posting was more to answer the OP and it was basic.
    In general, most heavy recoiling handguns are built with a Bisley g/f design because MOST folks can handle the recoil better with that design over the plow handle.

Good post Dale53.

Boolit Grand Master

Contender1;
    Thanks for the kind words!

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned

ive owned a number of 44s 45s 475s and 500s. even a 4 inch 500 vaquero. Wouldn't even consider a 4 inch 500 without a bisley grip frame. Ive shot a few 500 and 475 Linebaugh maximums too but when you go to that extreme even a bisley is hard to handle. Basicaly though it makes heavy 44s and 45 colts a pussycat to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Handgun frames & grips are like hats & shoes, one size doesn't fit all. For sure most shooters prefer the bisley when it comes to heavy recoiling guns over the plow handle but still there are some guys that, because of their hand size can get by with the plow handle & a big gun.
    Many of the new, mid frame single actions coming out have very thin stocks (grips) on them and that can be a problem for many, they need to be thicker, some even go with a bit of a palm swell much like Elmer Keith did with his ivory stocked guns. For me the bisley is much, much easier to handle over the plow handle design. Also with some of the so called bisley designs you need to grip the gun a bit lower & that will correct getting your knuckle rapped by the trigger guard.
    A friend showed up once with a Redhawk 44 & a set of well known custom stocks that were so big it was like holding a 4X4 in your hands. I took my Foredom tool, which is a larger version of a dremel tool & took a lot of wood off of those stocks & he ended up with a nice set of stocks he could use.
    The Hogue grips have never agreed with me, those finger grooves are way off, at least for my hand, I corrected it by using my foredom tool to grind off the grooves on my S&W 45 Mountain Gun & now they work very well. At the very least that top groove has to go, for me it's terrible.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post

Bisley grip frames just fit my hand better. YMMV.

It would be best to try before you buy.

Excellent advice - I'm one of those .44 mag shooters that much preferred the original SAA type plow handle grip than the Ruger Bisley I bought.

I like that the original style rolls the revolver back in my hand when fired - which places the hammer right under my thumb for faster re-cocking.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

problem is with the really big guns that will plant the hammer smartly into the web of your hand or the front sight smartly into your forehead!! ask me how I know????
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Excellent advice - I'm one of those .44 mag shooters that much preferred the original SAA type plow handle grip than the Ruger Bisley I bought.

I like that the original style rolls the revolver back in my hand when fired - which places the hammer right under my thumb for faster re-cocking.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    problem is with the really big guns that will plant the hammer smartly into the web of your hand or the front sight smartly into your forehead!! ask me how I know????
    This is my experience as well with the wood slick grips. My TC scout pistol, which is a 54 caliber muzzleloading pistol with what seems to be a Ruger standard blackhawk grip frame, was horrible with the wood grips. Loaded with the 430 grain maxiball and 110 grains of blackpowder, it would put any 44 magnum to shame. There was the real possibility the gun was going to plant the front sight in your forehead, even with a death grip.

And the reaction I got here when asking about the grips was that I was doing it wrong. Maybe I am, but I took the easy route. I had an extra set of hogue grips for a super blackhawk, and wouldn't you believe they slipped right on. I can now shoot that gun with ease.

Banned

I like the way they respond to heavy recoiling revolvers but I don't like the looks of them!

Banned

I thought the same when I was younger. But anymore I actually like the looks of a bisley more then I do a plow handle. At least a ruger bisley. the old colt bisleys were just plain homely.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I like the way they respond to heavy recoiling revolvers but I don't like the looks of them!

Boolit Grand Master

I can use both the plow handle and the Bisley with "moderate" recoil. However, I found nirvana, many, many years ago when I discovered Pachmayr grips. Many slam them for their looks, me I REVERE those grips. I have a serious "base of the thumb" problem with any hard grips with heavy recoil. With Pachmayrs, I can make the revolver perform at my highest level!

After all, the idea is to HIT SOMETHING, and do it without pain! Pachmayrs assist me in that. How they look is something that has little regard by me, it I can HIT with them!

But-t-t, that is just me!

Dale53

Beauty is as beauty does.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I find this interesting since I cannot comfortably shoot any Blackhawk with centerfire cartridges using the plowhandle grip. Even 357 gives me problems as it beats up my knuckles. The 44 mag and 45 colt versions I have fired actually took skin off my trigger finger and knuckles. I have tried different grips such as Pachmayr to no avail.
    I have never held a Bisley grip so I have no idea how they would work.
    I shoot a lot of S&W revolvers using Pachmayr grips.
    I like the idea of the single action revolvers but they are, so far, too uncomfortable for me. I can have just as much fun by beating on my knuckles with a ball pein hammer.
    Interesting discussion. It has gotten me to thinking that I may try the Bisley. I usually shoot very moderate loads in my New Model BH in 44 Special, but even then I am often reminded of placement of my knuckle.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Enjoyed reading through this discussion....Never had a chance to try the Bisley, but hope to some day...I think besides all of the comments made, another factor is muscle memory and familiarity....When you use something a lot, your body adjusts to it and becomes used to it until it almost seems a part of you. I use the plough grip on my BH's. I've come to love their feel, so familiar. They just seem right. My brother has a gp-100. He hates the plough grip. I've shot his revolver, but I love my plough grips. If I had started out with the Bisley, no doubt I would love them....I think sometimes the "grass is greener" mentality can keep us looking and looking when heaven is right at home....just my two cents...

Groo here
    The plow handle grip and the Bisley can be compaired to the difference between a ruger 22 auto and a DA revolver.
    The colt type points very well , the Bisley is more of a right angle to the bore so rotates less in the heavy kickers.
    I have a 3 3/4 inch 41mag Mondago and a 5 1/4 in 41 Bisley [Thank you Andy]
    You shoot the 3 3/4 like a 1911 [wrist relaxed] and the Bisley like a DA smith.[ more upright]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast