RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longest shots with cast bullets, what, and how?

Boolit Master
    They sure don't have transonic issues! Never saw anyone run jwords subsonic in a rifle either....

Boolit Master
    I've yet to try any cast loads behind 50 yards. But I have had 5 shots touching out of my Ruger American .308 at 50. Lee 180 gr. over 17 grains of 2400, about 1550 fps. I'll have to zero that load at 100 and see where it hits at 50 then. Most of my plinking and hunting is within 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    The last few years that I shot in NRA high power matches I used a 03a3 with cast bullets in reduced course matches (200 yd) with scaled down targets , actually did fairly well shot master scores a few times . Slow prone 20 rd groups were in the 3.5" range on average . Wish I could still see good enough to be able to do that now .
    I know what you mean. My eyes have become the limiting factor in my shooting as well. We have a local optometrist who shoots bullseye and makes custom lenses for older shooters. He creates a sort of bifocal area on the lens close to the bridge of the nose if I understood correctly. I may have to pay him a visit if this virus thing ever ends.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-03-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot BPCR and rams at 500 yds. If I miss its me not the rifle or load LOL. I use 38-55 ( High wall c sharps, and DZ Hepburm), 40-65 (CPA silhouette ), 45-70 ( pedersoli 74 Rem rolling block BRC SHarps Brochardt) All are very accurate. I also shoot Black Powder.

At 200 yds a 6" gong is a gimme.

The big thing at extended ranges Isn't the bullet or lower velocity. Its knowing your trajectory and sight settings. How much to come up for a given range. Next is reading the wind and the needed adjustments.

Early on the army did extreme range test of the 45-70 and 45-90 at Sandy Hook. out to 2 miles

Farthest shooting with cast is 300 yards. I like shooting at the steel gong that my range has out there. I like using 8x57 and 8x50R Austrian.

My favorite 8mm Bullet is the Lee Maximum.They drop at 242 grains with ww alloy.
    I size them to .324 and load them over 21 grains of Buffalo powder.

They work well out of my Persian Mauser and Gew 1888.

I use a NEI 330220 mold for my Steyrs. The drop around 245 grains if I recall. Same powder load as the Mauser. I size to .331

Boolit Master
    I don't know if a 5-gallon paint bucket counts or not but I bounced it three times in a row with my iron sighted 338 WM from almost 800 yards across a Nevada valley one morning before the wind came up. It will never happen again with my old eyes. The boolit was the 220 gr Lee in front of a charge of RE-7 that gives an MV of 1700 fps. That same morning I gave an unwary coyote a real thrill (but missed) from about 600 yards shooting from the same position atop some old mine tailings. In a couple weeks if the roads are passable, I will try it from the same position with a 270 at the same MV and the 140 gr Lee boolit.

Boolit Master
    While at our outdoor range, my neighbor and I tried playing Elmer Keith with my SBH at a deer-sized rock across a gully. My Leica rangefinder said it was 185 yards away. By holding the whole front sight blade above the rear leaf sight and keeping it centered, I hit the rock 5 of six shots. My neighbor did it 3 of 6. FUN! The club president saw this and told us we crazy people deserved to live next to each other.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    I have shot my AK to 600 yards using the Lee CTL 312-1602R.

I actually don't see much difference in precision with cast bullets vs jacketed, but only with specific designs in specific rifles.
    Wow. I'm impressed. I gotta say your cast boolits shoot a heckuva lot better than any jacketed stuff out of my AK. I call it my "minute of car door" rifle. It's a Maadi build from Rifle Dynamics and it pretty much sucks in the accuracy department.

Boolit Master
    200 yards as that our range max

Quote Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
    Wow. I'm impressed. I gotta say your cast boolits shoot a heckuva lot better than any jacketed stuff out of my AK. I call it my "minute of car door" rifle. It's a Maadi build from Rifle Dynamics and it pretty much sucks in the accuracy department.
    Load development turned my WASR into a tack driver. I've taken apart many tulammo cartridges, there was a 2grain powder charge difference between rounds; but even then, I get 2.25MOA with that ammo regularly. I call mine, The Harmonic Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Curious here, what are the longest shots you take and still get " good " groups?

What caliber, gun, and how did you create snd prep the bullet and load?

I hear some folks shoot 30 cal at 600 yards in competition for high power. How about for 2&300 yards?

I know the 45-70 is good for that, and then some as l used to do BP Silhouette at 500 yards.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    The last deer I took was at 250 yards with my Ruger American Bolt Action Rifle chambered in 7.62X39 using a 130 grain plain base bullet my brother designed. Hit the deer right at the shoulder junction. The deer ran about 25 yards. The deer dressed out to about 75 pounds. That was three years ago.

Now feral hog is something else. I try to get one in the 100 to 125 pound range. The longest shot I ever took was about 125 yards. The last ones I shot were with my NMB .357 with a 125 grain Lee RNFP at about 75 yards.

ACC

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting a lot of 30/30 and 300BO with a 170gr Lee FNP and it does very well, out to 200yds, at nearly 1900fps out of the 30/30 and about 1100fps suppressed out of the .300BO, in a Ruger Ranch bolt action. I have a scope with ballistic has marks, Burris 3x9 and can regularly ring a 4" gong with the 300 at 200yds. The 30/30 will shot into 2.5 inches at 200 yds, with sized and lubed, or PC. I have shot a Remington Rolling block for 35 years, in 45/70, and have made some dang fine shoots, with cast bullets, and black powder, and smokeless as well. One day I was shooting at a measured 500 yds, with a 4x8' carboard backer. The target was 3 liter coke bottles with red dye in them so we could see them better. 'I had shot the yardage the day before, left my gun zeroed with the long range peep and a extra thin silver blade up front. I could sit about 3 of those bottles on top of the blade at that distance. Careful aiming, off of sand bags, I fired one fouling shot at a12" rock, and hit it center, then procedded to hit 3 jugs in a row, with carefully loaded black powder cartridges, using a 405 gr slug, lubed with SPG, and a lube cake under it with a cardboard waxed wad between the powder and the rest of the load, compressed about 1/8". I let a buddy shoot some and he hit the first 2 jugs and stopped. We were shooting with a guy who was shooting a 25/06 and he never could hit one. I believe he ruined that barrel that day, he shot so many times, about 40 in a row, and the gun never shot worth crap after that.

Boolit Master
    I shot a Road Work Ahead sign which is 36"x 36" (was already at the range) at 500yds with one of my Lee Enfield rifles. I was using the Lyman 314299 over a max charge of 2400 powder I think it was. I've lost the reloading information when my computer crashed. It was as accurate at 100yds as my Sierra match Kings were. If I remember right I did have to adjust the sights up a bit more than the Sierras.

Boolit Master

Back in the mid 1980s, Dad found my dream gun at a gun show, a S&W M57 8 3/8" 41 Magnum. My goodness, something did not look right, it was a mid 1970 gun, pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, but the grips were used 1980s. That didn't matter, the grips were immediately replaced with Hogue rubber mono grips.

Off to the range I went and literally had a blast. While cleaning it at the range I noticed the first signs of gas wear in the inner top strap. The gun was unfired. Wow. I told dad who asked the gun shop owner who was at the gun show. The guy had sold dad a lot of his firearms over the years. He said he'd picked up a M29 and had went through the gun, reblued it, swapped the grips, put it in the wooden presentation case from the M57, made big money on the M29, and sold dad the M57 for what he had into it, $300.

Back then, I was reading about Elmer Keith's exploits at long range shooting. I started shooting 1250 rounds a week, 500 through a S&W M13 357 double action fire, 500 through a Springfield 1911 45 ACP, both at ranges from 5 to 25 yards. Then, 250 round from the M57 at ranges from 100 to 250 yards. It took a while before I hit a 12 x 12" target consistently, and a 24 x 24" at 250. Later, hitting a 55 gallon barrel at 500 yards was all day.

I amazed friends, but that's what happens when you do that much trigger time for a couple years. Once, I tried to hit the 250 target with a Taurus M85 38 snubby, Yup it was an artillery shot. I was able to clear a bunch of 6" steel plates in a hill at dad's range, at ranges from 15 to 65 yards with that snubby. Dad cleared all of thing off-hand with his M57 4" pistol.

Back in 2013, I had just started powder coating and was testing a new rifle build. I also had a Glock 23 40 S&W and saw a 4 x 4" (actually smaller, it was a 2x4 chunk) and tried. It took 3 shots before I figured out elevation and windage before I got a hit. I also thought of all the things I had read, learned trough training and range time, and applied them. 8 of 10 hits for several mags with my brother and other guys on the range at the time.

They stopped shooting and just watched before coming over to ask 'how the heck can you do that?' 'Trigger time, lots of trigger time.' We talked for a while and I told them and showed them the powder coated boolits. They both commented they couldn't find components to shoot that much and I told them what dad told me when I was a kid first shooting 'I shoot, therefore I reload, I cast because I like it, and can shoot more.' I think he heard that from the guy who taught us to cast. I need more trigger time and some steel, I miss shooting that much. Heck, I'm retired now, need to get motivated, right now trying get motivated to mow the yard.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12