RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Ideal #1 Lubricator Press

Banned

Ideal #1 Lubricator Press

Yes, that's what they called them way back in 1905.

I have two later ones, both Lyman/Middlefield on the handle and I found a small number stamped on the frame. One is 42, the other 43, both have brass tubes. That got me wondering if there are other numbers out there. The pre-Lyman, New Haven frames are different and not numbered.

Do you have a numbered frame?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9200.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	261244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9198.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	261245

Boolit Buddy
    I have one, Middlefield handle, that's marked with W 439. I have another, New Haven handle, that's marked 334 M. I suppose it is possible the second one has been assembled from parts, but the overall appearance is that its has been together for a very long time.

My other three, all New Havens, seem to have a shinier finish to the paint (where it remains), and as you indicated none of those are numbered. The two that are marked have a noticeably duller appearing paint (again, where it remains).

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Just FWIW, my only example has a New Haven marked handle and no numbers I can see on the body casting.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

The only one I currently have, has a New Haven Handle that's been broken and repaired by Bubba by bolting on a pipe.
    It has a nickel plated brass reservoir.

The casting doesn't have any "stamped" numbers, but it appears to have numbers in that same area, they appear to be part of the casting...or maybe it's just a flaw in the casting? because it's tough to read. It is either "41" or "11"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I am really curious about these frame numbers on the Middlefield models. What is it's purpose> This example has several late features that cause me to think the 42 could be a year of production, but then the other example I have is stamped 43 and does not have those features.

The clamp on this one has the T handle like that found on later 55 powder measures. We also ran into this on a couple of #5 measures while working on the 55 Project.

Lots of questions, few answers.

Boolit Master
    Ken,

I’ve got two of them, both New Havens.

One has nothing on the frame, but the other has what looks like “4 3 3 M” stamped around the base of the nickeled lube reservoir.

The first was all original, complete and in very good condition when I got it; the second has an aftermarket aluminum handle replacing the wooden original. Most of the japanning was gone off this one, so I stripped and repainted it with black enamel, not noticing the stamping until now.

It was missing the lube wrench and the frog or clamp that attaches the body to the bench. Found a wrench, but have been looking for one of those clamps for a while.

Banned
    Thanks Dave, there is a clamp on eBay currently part of a box of junk with an asking price double what it worth. Maybe you could negotiate a settlement?

I need more Middlefield examples to study.

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems like the clamp may be harder to find than the press. I was thinking too of buying that junk pile on fleaBay to get the clamp and whatever salvageable parts are on the press. The cap and apparently the plunger are missing as is the lever assembly, so it is definitely parts-only. All that shotgun stuff would just be in the way for me though.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

What do these numbers mean?

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Ken, but if I bought another incomplete tool to get a part for an incomplete tool I already have, then I’d need to find even more parts to complete the even-more-incomplete tool that I’d just bought to get the spares for the last one...and so on and so forth.

OCD? Me? Naaaahhh!!

If the Denver Gun Show had come off, I was planning on asking Rodney Storie if he could make a pattern for one of those clamps and sell the castings. Like he does for the lid on the Ideal #5 Powder measure.

Banned
    Oyeboten, at this point we really don't know. That is the reason to collect numbers from as many tools as possible to see if there is any kind of pattern.

Ken

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    SNIP...

Found a wrench, but have been looking for one of those clamps for a while.
    Years back, when I had a different #1 (needed a clamp), I was gonna order one of these from Redding, to see if it would work. But that never happened.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012960871
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Oyeboten, at this point we really don't know. That is the reason to collect numbers from as many tools as possible to see if there is any kind of pattern.

Ken
    Oh!

Okay...

I'll see what ( if any ) stamped Numbers mine may have...and I'll post images if I can get a decent picture.