Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is the grease groove squished on some of my boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    A plastic 55 gal drum will save a pool liner. There are a few washed up around here from people’s docks.

Ya know, I just remembered I have one. It's filled with t-posts and pieces of sucker rod.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Lol. I am...I just like the forum and like to post here. I started casting boolits after visiting this site around 2017. I have been casting fishing lures for over 40 years prior so I wasn’t a stranger to melting lead.

The red ones were shot into two pallets. The boolits were found laying about a foot away from them on the ground.

I have to admit I’m more then a little ocd on PCing my boolits. Came from an art and painting background growing up.

These were the bullets before I shot him and put a gas check on them. I tumble coated them in Smokes PC. To be honest I’ve never made them smoother since. I think I had a really cold, dry day here in Wisconsin when I tumbled these. I try to not PC until it’s about in the negative digits around here and I get a shock putting on my socks. Lol. I think the reason the paint is so thick on these is because this was before I started bouncing off the excess PC build up in a separate container. I’m going to have to see if I can make some thick PC coatings again.

The first powder coating I tried was Harbor freight and I could never get it to stick.
    They look really good to me.

Actually, that is the kind of coating recommended to me by a Phd Proffessor of Polymer Physics years ago. I asked what I needed in PC build out to form a polymer jacket that would withstand the full power torque spinup of 50K pounds of chamber pressure of a 30/06. He estimated approximately 3 mills.

I double coat my rifle bullets doing a "partial cure" first coat then "full cure" second coat. This method allows the two coats to bond as one. A heavier coat can also be achieved by preheating the bullets before tumbling.

On Hollow Points such as these I preheat to 300+ degrees and spray on my bed of nails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	261395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1831_1_1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	261396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	261397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	261398

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I think I’m going to stop bouncing off my excess powder and leave a thick build up for my rifle boolits from now on. Just makes it hard to seat GCs as the PC “puddles” or put a “ring” of PC at the base when melting and flowing down when I stand them up.

It seams lately I get a thinner coating. I think it’s because I’m coating in the spring and summer VS the drier winter months.

Try COLD water dropping after PC cook. 9mm is high pressure and needs harder alloy. You may need to keep the loads separated by size. Red Dot is very fast, making size problem worse. Try 231 or unique.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12