RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why We Should Study Romans

Why We Should Study Romans

I received the following from Pastor Greg Laurie this morning in my daily devotional email from him. It seemed particularly appropriate for a number of reasons:
    1. Considering we're currently reading Romans in the daily bible study.
    2. A succinct reply to the recent "pay or play" thread.
    3. The current covid-19 "crisis" and what, I feel, will be a resulting revival in the country.

I don't intend to start a contentious argument, just food for thought and sober reflection on the grace and mercy that God offers us. Go in peace.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020
    Why We Should Study Romans

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.”
    —Romans 1:16

The study of the Book of Romans has transformed the lives of very significant people in church history, including Augustine, Martin Luther, John Wesley, and even a pastor named Chuck Smith.

Swiss theologian Frédéric Louis Godet wrote of Romans, “The probability is that every great spiritual revival in the Church will be connected as cause and effect with a deeper understanding of this book.”

In all of the Bible, Romans is the most basic, comprehensive statement of what the gospel is. It’s in Romans that we read, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (3:23 NKJV). If Romans does nothing else, it once and for all refutes the idea that we’re not good enough to get to Heaven, regardless of how many good works we’ve done.

In Romans, the apostle Paul systematically addresses every person and every type of argument as to why God would accept someone on their own merit. He deals with pagan people. He deals with moral people. And he deals with religious people.

The conclusion is that everyone has to come to God through Jesus. Everyone has to acknowledge their sin.

And Romans offers a solution to the sin.

In chapter 5 we read, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (verse 8 NKJV). And verse 23 of chapter 6 says, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (NKJV).

Then Romans 10:13 tells us, “For ‘whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved’” (NKJV).

It’s very important we understand and appreciate all that God has done for us. If we really get this, it will cause us to want to serve Him and discover His plan for our lives.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Good post at a good time Pine Baron . I hope many read or reread Romans . It gives answers and insight to understand 'who' we are . It gives instruction in being able to improve our lives through him in our lives . It's plainly written and explains many questions we all have . No one is beyond salvation offered by our Lord Jesus Christ .

Romans gives an up close look at our personal relationship with him . It clarifys our choices . Thank you for posting .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

Amen, but it's worth study as well. Paul was a lawyer and some of his arguments can become convoluted and if you just read it you may not follow all his arguments. Especially since the chapter breaks interrupt some of his arguments in the middle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

A great book and instructions, Amen!

A little more from Pastor Greg Laurie:

The apostle Paul wrote, “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1 NKJV).

We see the word justification several times in the Book of Romans. Justification means that when we put our faith in Jesus Christ, God forgives all our sin. He also places the righteousness of Christ into our spiritual account.

One-way justification has been defined is “just as if it never had happened.” The problem is that some Christians stop at salvation. They don’t understand that the fruit of salvation should be evident in their lives.

Whoever continues in sin without remorse is not in danger of losing their salvation; rather, by their choices, they reveal they may never have had salvation to begin with.

The Bible tells us that “when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil” (1 John 3:8 NLT).

God has justified us. And in light of that, we should want to live lives that honor Him.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Good lesson Pine Baron . All remember salvation , everlasting life , heaven and a few other things but forget you are to be reborn in him .

This mornings study from Pastor Greg Laurie

"Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
    —Romans 6:4

A pastor was baptizing a man who had lived a rather wicked life. The man told him, “Pastor, hold me down a long time. I have a lot to bury.”

Baptism is a symbol of the end of the old you and the beginning of the new you. It’s an outward showing of an inward doing, because regeneration takes place when we believe in Jesus.
    The Bible tells us, “Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4 NKJV).
    By the way, there is God’s part and our part. God sanctifies us. The apostle Paul wrote to the Thessalonian church, “May the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 5:23 NKJV).
    But then we need to cooperate with God. Paul wrote to the believers in Philippi, “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure” (Philippians 2:12–13 NKJV).
    Notice that Paul didn’t say, “Work for your salvation.” That’s impossible, because salvation is a gift of God. Rather, live it out. Experience it. Our salvation should affect us in our day-to-day choices.
    Salvation is coming to Christ; sanctification is growing in Christ. Salvation happens in a moment, bringing a sinner from spiritual death to life; sanctification is an ongoing process.
    Salvation is being forgiven of the past; sanctification is breaking free from the power of sin. This is something God does in our lives, and it never stops until we get to Heaven.

Boolit Grand Master
    I love Romans. Thanks for the reminder.
    Don Verna

Very good read !

Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.
    —Romans 12:3

Some people love to talk about how well-educated they are or how successful they are or how wealthy they are. If you are having a discussion, whatever your story is, they will top your story. They know more than you do, and on and on it goes. They think they’re God’s gift to humanity.

But, as someone has pointed out, cemeteries are full of indispensable people. We’re not as great as we think we are.

The apostle Paul cautions us about this in Romans 12. He says, “Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us” (verse 3 NLT).

In other words, think clearly. Start with an honest self-evaluation. Have a balanced, realistic view of yourself.

The problem is that we sometimes envy the spiritual gifts that God gives to someone else. Maybe God has called you to preach, but you really want to be a musician and a worship leader. Or maybe you’re a worship leader and really want to be a preacher.

Perhaps you’re working behind the scenes, but you really want to lead the class. Or you’re leading the class but really want to be working behind the scenes.

If God gave you a gift, then develop and use your gift. It’s disobedient not to use it. Don’t think you’re better than you are. On the other hand, don’t think you’re worse than you are. Instead, see yourself honestly.

He has given you a spiritual gift. So, receive the gift, thank God for the gift, and start developing the gift. And be content and thankful with the spiritual gift that God has given to you.

Boolit Grand Master

And EVERYTHING I use to identify myself other than Christ needs to be surrendered to Him. My profession, my righteousness, my knowledge, my family, my everything needs to be surrendered. Even my cast boolits!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Especially "my cast boolits"!

Thanks for those thoughts Pine Baron . Some seem to have trouble finding their GOD given gifts . Many expect them to be much 'bigger' than everyday things . But it takes all of us to do his work in different ways .

The book of Romans is an excellent guide in our lives !

From Greg Laurie this morning:

Wednesday, May 20, 2020
    Sometimes Saying Less Is More

“Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.”
    —Romans 12:15

This may surprise you coming from a preacher, but people don’t always need a sermon. Sometimes, they just need a friend. They need someone to show a little compassion.

The Bible tells us to “rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15 NKJV).

For instance, remember the calamities that befell godly Job? He didn’t know the Lord had been bragging on in him in front of the angels and Lucifer, but he woke up one morning and one disaster after another struck his life.

He lost his children. He lost his livelihood and his possessions. He even lost his health. When his body was covered head-to-toe in massive boils, his wife came along and said, “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!” (Job 2:9 NKJV).

When someone you know is in pain sometimes saying less is more because sometimes when we’re trying to encourage someone, we actually say the wrong thing. We always feel like we have to have the answer or a Bible verse for each situation. But, there’s a time and a place for everything.

When our son Christopher went to be with the Lord I had a lot of people try to say things that would help me. Some things helped, and some things didn’t help as much. But, I learned a lot about what it was like to be on the receiving end of those words.

I was always the person saying things to try and bring some comfort. Then suddenly I was the one listening to those things, and I understand that people don’t always need to hear a sermon. They just need a little compassion.

The reality is that sometimes we say things to help, and they can actually end up hurting. That’s why we have to choose our words carefully.

Moderator Emeritus

PB, I've long said that the most reliable and significant mark of a true, mature Christian is their humility. They may be rich, powerful or any of a number of things. But if they're truly Christian, and mature in their faith, then they'll invariable be humble. I see way too many preachers who seem to believe they're God's gift to us. Self-righteousness is something Christ warned us about. It can and will, eat through all the faith we've managed to develop within us, and lead us to perdition if we don't keep it in check. A good humbling serves us well, always!

This message from Pastor Greg Laurie hit home for me this morning.

The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.”
    —Romans 13:12

Let’s just say, for the sake of illustration, that you bought a new outfit you really liked, but the next day, you fall into a septic tank while you’re wearing it. Forget about your new outfit. Don’t try to wash it. You’ll just destroy your washing machine. Just let that outfit go.

The apostle Paul used a similar comparison when he wrote, “Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light” (Romans 13:12 NKJV). In other words, get rid of those works of darkness. They smell. They’re toxic and destructive.

I still remember the time that a friend of mine and I were cleaning a houseboat, and he was emptying out the septic tank. He took a direct hit to the face with the contents from that tank. It was brutal.

Boxer Mike Tyson famously said, “Everybody has a plan until they get hit.” In the same way, we can talk tough and say, “I’m not afraid of the devil. I can handle it.” Then we get hit.

In this spiritual battle, it’s not a choice of whether to engage in it. It’s a choice of victory or defeat. A choice of winning or losing.

The Bible tells us to “put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:11–12 NKJV).

Maybe this week you’ve gained some ground in the spiritual battle, or maybe you’ve lost some. Maybe you’ve even been beaten up a little. You need to suit up. Put on the armor of God.

Good lesson !

This morning from Greg Laurie;
    Friday, May 29, 2020
    From Head to Foot, Be His

“But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.”
    —Romans 13:14

I have a friend who always looks like he’s wearing an outfit no matter what day of the week it is. For some people, everything is an outfit. Their jeans are ripped in all the right places and their shirt is a certain way. They think it all through.

It’s okay to think about what we wear, of course, because we put on clothes every day. But, the apostle Paul wrote, “Put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts” (Romans 13:14 NKJV).

Now, doesn’t Jesus Christ live in the heart of every Christian? The answer is yes, He does. So why do we need to put Him on?

The J. B. Philips New Testament puts the verse this way: “Let us be Christ’s men from head to foot, and give no chances to the flesh to have its fling.”

The picture Paul is giving us is that our clothes should conform to us; we should not conform to our clothes. In other words, let Jesus be a part of everything you do.

Make Him a part of every decision. Make Him a part of every area of your life. He’s not just Sunday Jesus. He’s also Monday Jesus, Tuesday Jesus, and Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Jesus too.

Jesus should be Lord over wherever we happen to be and whatever we happen to be doing, and He should be Lord over what we watch on television and take in through social media. He should be Lord when we step out our door and Lord when we return home.

He should be Lord of all because if Jesus is not Lord of all, then He’s not Lord at all.

So, put on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Boolit Master

Appreciate the lesson this morning - i am going to re-read Romans. God Bless
    Being human is not for sissies.

Good message today or any day !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast