Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Whelen

Boolit Buddy

375 Whelen

I'm having JES Reboring do a 375 Whelen for me. It's a 1951 Win M 70 and was wondering where to get the dies and what boolits and loads have been being used! Can't wait to see it! I have a 9.3x62 and a 338 /06 AI just wanted another medium bore to sling some cast!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master

CH4D get your dies there the stoner at rcbs mumbled about getting them through midway , I called CH4D and the older gentleman [his name escapes me at the moment | called well after they would have been closed , He checked shelves and none in and said he would make them when he had time as they were backed up a ways , He did not want payment till they were ready , I asked to pay ahead of time and he let me .

Few months later half of the time he said it would take , the dies showed up .

I had jesse do mine it was a 1903 springfield , wonderful man .

Boolit Buddy
    I always knew you could do that. Until today I never heard of it. I want to see & hear about this conversion when completed. I really like the 375 bore & I like my old 35 Whelen. Great Combo. uncle mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    CH4D get your dies there the stoner at rcbs mumbled about getting them through midway , I called CH4D and the older gentleman [his name escapes me at the moment | called well after they would have been closed , He checked shelves and none in and said he would make them when he had time as they were backed up a ways , He did not want payment till they were ready , I asked to pay ahead of time and he let me .

Few months later half of the time he said it would take , the dies showed up .

I had jesse do mine it was a 1903 springfield , wonderful man .
    Surprised to hear that about RCBS, every time I've ever dealt with them over the years, their customer service has been top notch.

A .375 Whelen sounds interesting. Lots of potential for cast too, with all the molds out there for the .38-55 and such.

Boolit Buddy

Got my 375Whelen dies and making brass when my gun gets here! CH4D dies are very nice craftsmanship and reasonably priced! Now to decide on a boolit mold!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I might have to get another Remington 7600 carbine In 35 whelen and have it bored To 375.

Boolit Buddy

I'm waiting for mine to get back so I can start developing loads!

Boolit Master
    I have a 375 Whelen built on a Mauser 98 action, I took my very first deer with this rifle some 6yrs ago. I have used both the Lee 250gr FN .378, and the RCBS .375 259gr GC moulds. I have driven the Lee PB to 1,800fps with good accuracy but the RCBS GC mould is a better option for higher velocity. I would have o agree with a good mate of mine who calls the 375 Whelen the perfect 30/06. You will be happy with this calibre. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy

Would like to shoot heavier boolits than 250 gr. 275-300 gr. I will see what it likes to determine what I will shoot! Hopefully on the heavier side!

Boolit Buddy
    I had Jes do a 375 Whelen for me several years ago. It was a Sedgley Springfield with a rough bore. He got it back to my in 10 days, from my door back to my door. I got the dies from CH4D. At that time they had them on the shelf. I shoot everything from 235 grain to 300 grain jacketed. I never found a bullet it didn't like. I did not try any cast bullets with it. I truly regret selling that one. I thought it kind of duplicated what I already had, a 35 Whelen, 9.3x57 and 400 Whelen. I wish I had it back. I've made offers to the buyer but he likes it a lot.

You might keep an eye on eBay. It is surprising what turns up there for odd or wildcat dies. I found some Redding 401 Winchester Self Loading dies there once. And I had a 401 at the time and grabbed them.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    Would like to shoot heavier boolits than 250 gr. 275-300 gr. I will see what it likes to determine what I will shoot! Hopefully on the heavier side!
    I agree that heavy for calibre s the way to go, I also hope to try some 300gr cast when I get the chance. I get outstanding accuracy with cast in all cal above 308 and hope to get there with those when I get around to them. I feel a GC mould will be an advantage and I also use Hi-Tek coating. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy

I have found medium to large bores seem to be more accurate than smaller bores at least less work to make group good? I shoot .412, .338, .358 and .366 bores and all shoot great under 2000 fps, PB or GC makes no difference.

Boolit Buddy

Got my rifle back from JES today shot some 278 gr GC with 40 gr of Varget nice load no problems with feeding or head space. OAL of case was 2.445 and was a light load as I had soot on the neck and primer still round on the primer. My scope base was crack on the front base, sending it back to a Leupold for a replacement so I can mount my scope! Anyone with some loads could be helpful!

Boolit Master
    Prodigal Son, May I suggest you use close to full load to form your shells properly, I found out rather early that light loads tend not to fill out the case properly and have caused head space issues. I also agree with you on the medium to large bores being easier to get accurate cast loads for. I have 3 shot clover leaf groups of dime size with my 458 wm and I have never shot a group larger than 1 1/4'' from my 357 Max rifle. You will love the Whelen it is a fine cartridge and should have been a factory load years ago. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy

Thank you Stephen I will try to boost the load as it is mild right now, but case formed nicely don't know where my load is just know it can be hotter! Thanks for the input! Otis!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Prodigal Son, May I suggest you use close to full load to form your shells properly, I found out rather early that light loads tend not to fill out the case properly and have caused head space issues. I also agree with you on the medium to large bores being easier to get accurate cast loads for. I have 3 shot clover leaf groups of dime size with my 458 wm and I have never shot a group larger than 1 1/4'' from my 357 Max rifle. You will love the Whelen it is a fine cartridge and should have been a factory load years ago. Regards Stephen
    When I fire form, I fire each case twice before serious load development.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine has a 375 Whelan Improved that has a "blown out" sharper shoulder for more sure headspacing
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    A friend of mine has a 375 Whelan Improved that has a "blown out" sharper shoulder for more sure headspacing
    beltfed/arnie
    I have heard of at least 4 different shoulder angles in the Whelan, mine is the 40 degree shoulder angle and the Improved version. Mine shot so well my brother pulled the barrel from his Sako 08 and made a 375 Whelan as well. I believe the 06 case is a perfect match in so many cals. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Agree on the 375 Whelen—I have JES rebores in 338-06 and 375 and 400 Whelen plus a 35 Whelen barrel in a Mauser. The only way to improve on the 30-06 is to open up the case neck and use bigger bullets!

The 375 is my favorite and I am using 375 JDJ dies (already had on hand) for loading until I get proper dies rounded up.

Boolit Buddy

CH4D has them on the shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast