Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Activ Hulls - which wads to use?

Boolit Master

Activ Hulls - which wads to use?

Hi All,

I have a box of once fired Activ Hulls, I have load data, my question which wads perform best in these hulls?

The data I have lists both Winchester and Federal wads, just wonder if anyone out there has loaded these and could tell me which type of wads works best? Winchester or Federal (tapered or straight)

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Many years ago I loaded several of the Activ hulls for light target loads. As I recall it is a high volume hull with straight walls. The Federal wads would be a better fit for the Activ hulls but if you have data for Winchester hulls give that recipe a go.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Winchester’s. ... I load them for 20 and 12ga
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Activ hulls are so close to Federal hunting .090" basewad hulls, that some old BPI manuals suggest that load data can be substituted.

Boolit Master

Wow, I just loaded 3 boxes of buckshot using ACTIV hulls in the last couple of days. dsh, you must not be aware that I am the only one here authorized to use those hulls, so send them along please! If you decide to keep them anyhow, use the straight wall hulls. I did a water test and they are drop-for-drop the same volume as Federal gold medal hulls.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	261207
    Oh yeah, the same goes for the old Lage Uniwads. Loaded almost all of my last 1000 I scoured the earth for. The 70's were just good to me....
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 04-27-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Activ Hulls - which wads to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Wow, I just loaded 3 boxes of buckshot using ACTIV hulls in the last couple of days. dsh, you must not be aware that I am the only one here authorized to use those hulls, so send them along please! If you decide to keep them anyhow, use the straight wall hulls. I did a water test and they are drop-for-drop the same volume as Federal gold medal hulls.

Oh yeah, the same goes for the old Lage Uniwads. Loaded almost all of my last 1000 I scoured the earth for. The 70's were just good to me....
    I ever tell you I have a couple 1,000’s of those Lages in both 12 and 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Ah, my ole best buddy Blood Trail...how may I bribe you today?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post

Thanks for the confirmation on the straight wall hulls Hogtamer, now I can start loading up some RB loads.
    I'm good to go on the buckshot for the time being, I have about 150 rounds of factory loaded Activ buckshot. This MFRB of 3" Activ hulls has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, sheltering in place is starting to get me in trouble.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I load a 1 7/8 oz. Ultra Mag Turkey Load in 2 3/4" Activ Hulls with copper plated 7 1/2 shot, and out to 45 yards, it will literally remove a turkeys head!