Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Growing tomatoes in a raised bed

Anyone Grow tomatoes in a raised bed.

How did they do?

How many plants in a 24 x 48 bed ?

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Tomatoes do well in raised bed gardens. You should be able to raise two tomato plants, with good productivity if you use cages. My reason for abandoning raised beds in favor of Earthbox gardening was weeds. After the second year the raised bed gardens were thoroughly inoculated with wire grass roots. The only solution was to dig out the potting mix I had so carefully prepared and replace it. Even though I make my own with vermiculite, peat, and compost, it is still expensive. Earthbox gardening gives me much closer control of weed infestations.

https://bonnieplants.com/gardening/h...4-foot-garden/
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-27-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    24"x48" is not very much. If you plant the tomatos, one at each end, it should work, but no more than 2.

Boolit Master

get determinate plants, not indeterminate to save space. put Epsom salt in the hole when planting for blossom rot. use weed control fabric with a hole cut out for the plant, will save a lot of back breaking weeding. drip irrigation works well and saves water.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

If you want to harvest almost all of your tomatoes over a two-week period, use a determinate variety of tomatoes. This is a good strategy for canning.

If you want to harvest tomatoes over the entire growing season, use an indeterminate variety. This is my preference. Some years I have had fresh tomatoes well into November, and one year, by way of a personal record, I picked tomatoes the first week of December.

Caged indeterminate tomatoes will take up no more space than caged determinate tomatoes. For cages I like 4' x 10' sheets of concrete reinforcing fence wire to make tomato cages. The rectangles are large enough to reach through and withdraw tomatoes, and they last for many years.

Use lime to combat blossom end rot.
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-27-2020 at 12:08 PM.

By the way, the Earthbox method cuts back on the expense of cages too. Each Earthbox uses one tomato cage for two tomato plants.

https://earthbox.com/gardening-syste...rdening-system

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_0687.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	261171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_0690.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	261172

These are spaced so a 50" mower deck will pass between them.
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-27-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the variety, but I plant tomatoes 6 feet apart (social distancing, LOL) in the garden.
    There are "patio" type tomato plants that might do OK closer together, maybe?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Hi Jon,

You're talking about an in-earth garden. When I was still gardening this way I used a six-foot spacing as well, along with large hills for each plant. But intensive gardening techniques work by supplying more nutrients, mulch for weed and moisture control, and careful application of just the right amount of water. There are window-sill gardens in Japan that would feed a family! It's a whole new ball game.

Take care,Tom

Boolit Buddy

I have 8' X 4' raised beds, the soil is approx 14 inches deep. We place tomato plants about 3 feet apart, and we get a lot. Every year I add cow manure that is very rich with worms, over 200 red wigglers per shovel. The only addition to the soil is fish fertilizer at planting and around the end of July.

Shtur,

That sounds like a wonderful raised bed. Around here we have "crab waste" from the picking houses that works well. It has lots of crab shell, so is high in calcium.

I tried using composted herring one time, but the smell was awful.

Take care,Tom

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Jon,

You're talking about an in-earth garden. When I was still gardening this way I used a six-foot spacing as well, along with large hills for each plant. But intensive gardening techniques work by supplying more nutrients, mulch for weed and moisture control, and careful application of just the right amount of water. There are window-sill gardens in Japan that would feed a family! It's a whole new ball game.

Take care,Tom
    The OP said Raised Bed...that could be in-earth or above earth. anyway, that's why I responded with what I did.

My garden is as you say, in-earth...but I have what I call raised rows, permenantly raised rows about 12" high, but no wood or Brick retaining it, it's just hilled up, 3 feet wide and the sides are planted in grass. It is likely different than you ever seen before. I could plant tomatoes closer, but my plants get so large, that it's difficult picking them if they are closer than 6 feet. I do plant a couple determinant varieties that make small plants (Rutgers and Taxi) and they get planted closer together (quite a bit closer actually). Also, with large indeterminant plants that I have 6 feet apart, I've found they blight and contain harbor bad insects if they are planted too close.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The OP said Raised Bed...that could be in-earth or above earth. anyway, that's why I responded with what I did.

My garden is as you say, in-earth...but I have what I call raised rows, permenantly raised rows about 12" high, but no wood or Brick retaining it, it's just hilled up, 3 feet wide and the sides are planted in grass. It is likely different than you ever seen before. I could plant tomatoes closer, but my plants get so large, that it's difficult picking them if they are closer than 6 feet. I do plant a couple determinant varieties that make small plants (Rutgers and Taxi) and they get planted closer together (quite a bit closer actually). Also, with large indeterminant plants that I have 6 feet apart, I've found they blight and contain harbor bad insects if they are planted too close.
    That would be a raised as in you don't have to bend over to maintain it. Hope that helps
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

I put 3 plants in a plastic 45 gallon barrel cut in half and they just keep producing all summer. Great little way to have a garden.

Boolit Grand Master

We use raised boxes because of the soil and weeds. 2ft apart should get you 24 plants depending on variety. The only thing to watch out for is the raised boxes dry out faster than in the ground
    We have tomatoes on one plant already and everything else is up. Been eating carrots, radishes and onions for a few weeks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I use 5 gallon buckets, I can move em around and put em were I want them, No crowding. No weeds, and watering is a snap with a one gallon milk jug with a 1/64 hole drilled in the cap. Hillbilly drip irrigation!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Rule of thumb for me is 3' apart in all directions. So you could get 2 going in opposite corners. Then maybe a pepper plant or something small in between them. You might look into companion planting and see what would do good in close quarters with the tomatoes.

Moderator Emeritus

I do intensive square foot gardening, tomatoes rows are 4' apart so I have room to get between them but the plants go 18 inches apart! Takes more water and fertilizer but they produce very well! I use a section of fence to tie them up to instead of cages.

Boolit Master

The wife and I do "Raised Beds" for gardening in Montana (Plastic 15Gal Containers in Moapa). Tried a garden in Montana; but all I could grow was Boulders and Rocks. So, we now have 4 foot x 48 Foot Raised beds; soil is about 18 inches deep. Our Raised beds were constructed with 4x4 posts cut to 32 inches long. Walls are 2x8's - stacked 3 High. Top of post is on line with the top of the Top 2x8; so there is about 8inches plus in the ground, with concrete about 4" deep around the bottom of the post. We used standard wood painted with Deck Stain; read too many places about treated lumber killing earth worms so I avoided Treated Lumber in constructing the raised beds. Soil is screened native soil from the property, then we did a 30% to 40% mix of Horse manure that had been composted for 2 years - tilled together.

We plant Tomatoes in 2 rows; about 1 foot away from each wall (~24" separating each plant that directions); then we separate plants about 30 inches to 36 inches in two rows down the length of the Above Ground Planters - Tomatoes Cages on each. 6 to 10 plants give us more tomatoes and sauce than we can eat in a year. Cover with a light weight white tarp/cloth; or clear plastic tarp as we go onto fall which gives us another 30 to 45 days growing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how this would work for Tomatoes. Some around here with heavy clay set bales of straw out in the fall and layer with fertilizers letting set thru winter to saturate with water and start to decompose. In the spring they plant the carrots potatoes and other root crops in them. Saves digging them in the hard heavy ground, come fall just break the bale apart and harvest.

We used old fencing with a 4" square and formed 18"- 2' dia by 3-4' tall hoops for around the tomatoes, and even string beans. The plants grew up inside and climbed the hoops and the fruit was kept of the ground. Made picking much easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast