WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: New IMR "Target" & "Red" for .44 spl. & .38 Spl.

New IMR "Target" & "Red" for .44 spl. & .38 Spl.

With the current supply of powder drying up quickly, I note that Graf & Son has a small supply of these two powders (also "Green" & "Blue") at a very competitive price.

From everything I read (limited) Target is in the same league with Bullseye & Red is a close equivalent to Red Dot. Has anyone used these two IMR powders?
    If so, how do they compare with your experience with Bullseye & Red Dot?

Thanks,
    Henry

I hope it is OK to pose this question here.

Boolit Master

Very limited experience. I purchased two 8 lb. kegs of IMR Red for 12 ga shotshell use. It bulks the same as Red Dot and chrono's the same as RD in my 12 ga loads. I checked it out over the weekend. I have no plans to use it for anything but 12ga. target loads.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I've used both.

Not in 44 but in 38, 327 FM, and 45 ACP.

I found that the Red is almost a direct weight for weight replacement for Red Dot. I'd suggest lowering Red Dot charges by 5% to start. I found that 3.8 gr of IMR Red under a 200 gr H&G 68 or similar SWC makes a nice soft shooting and accurate load.

The Target I only played with in 45 ACP, to me it was just another powder. Nothing special.

If the price is right I'd buy them and use them. I did see the Red for something like $120 a keg, I thought about buying some but I have at least 30 lbs of powders in the same class.

I want to try some of the Green with Green Dot data and see how it works. Green Dot used to be a really popular pistol powder, but data is somewhat lacking in newer manuals.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I bought some as my unique ran out and I thought I had another jug , so ordered both as I use promo in 9mm and 45 colt , have not loaded target yet in 45acp , but I also hear it is the hodgdon bullseye equivalent. So should be excellent for that , I have not used any green dot and did not order any of imr green , but I am interested in hearing about it used in pistol loads .

Boolit Master
    I've used RED in a 30-06, 12grs. and a 175gr cast bullet, and it shot a bit better than the same load of 20 year old Red Dot. I think it is a useful powder, but with Alliant back up to decent supplies, I don't think we will see IMR color powders very long, In fact their UNEQUAL , or whatever their Unique clone was called, never even made it past testing.

Boolit Master
    Also, keep in mind that Alliant's Promo is a direct replacement for Red Dot, and is even cheaper yet. Of course, it's only sold in 8# cannisters.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I buy promo instead of red dot as the cost and being weight for weight the same load , powder valley was out , may still be out , no one else had any at as cheap a price as grafs selling imr red .

That is why I bought some , I do not care what the name is as long as it is close to the same and works for my guns

Thanks for all that responded. It looks like these two will work OK for me. I prefer HP38/231 and WST, but it seems that none is available currently.
    Henry

Boolit Master
    Is Promo as bulky as red dot ? I like the bulk of red dot my disk measure works well with it for very light charges.
    If promo bulks up the same I will get it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Also, keep in mind that Alliant's Promo is a direct replacement for Red Dot, and is even cheaper yet. Of course, it's only sold in 8# cannisters.

Don
    Thank for this info I did not know on this one.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    Powder Valley was having a sale so I ordered 16 pounds of IMR Red. Cant wait to give it a go in 38 and 45acp. I do hope more data comes out on it at some point being as it is direct competition for Red Dot, I'd really like to experiment with it without having to worry about kabooms.