Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Bottom pour question. Lyman model 61

Boolit Bub

Bottom pour question. Lyman model 61

So I have a saeco model 32 dipper and figured i would try a bottom pour and picked up a good looking lyman model 61.

Looking for a manual or other help.

I fired it up today and it wouldn't pour. kept clogging up with cold lead and only allow a drip or 2 out.

Alloy was clean and close to a number2.
    Heated to 650-700 degrees
    I cleaned the lead out and pulled the plunger and made sure there were no obstructions. (i didn't see any after the fact that would have caused the issue)
    Looked for manuals for the lyman and saeco version. Nada.

So anyone have a copy of the instructions or know where i can find them?
    Anything else I should troubleshoot?
    Any tips and tricks?

Thanks

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I occasionally play a propane torch on the nozzles when starting up, I also have a finish nail on a stick . I can push the nail up to clear the port. Sometimes you just lift the lever and wait or work it up and down to push hotter metal in and out. Give it a shot

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. From the looks of it I may have been running it cold or had the valve too tight. Will also try the propane torch handy. And something to on a stick to run up the nozzel. Being the first time i was wondering how i could do that one quick and didnt figure anything out and did not want my hand holding a wire right underneath it.

Boolit Mold
    Propane torch, finishing nail on a stick are tools that stay in the box with mine. I run most of my Pb at 720-750, once the machine cracks 700 I just don’t have clogging. On the very few alloys I run lower I find the nail my most used tool.
    Last edited by Rgmcfarland; 04-26-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Stick a lead thermometer in the pot and check temp, the pot thermostat may or not be accurate. Nail and torch are good ideas, although I have had good luck with a BBQ grill lighter instead of a torch on my Lee 4-20.

Boolit Bub
    Plus 1 on the thermometer. Didn't think of checking temp. on a new to me pot. Yes, i can be a idiot.

Boolit Master

I keep a finishing nail clamped in small needle nose vise grips, close by. Keeps my hand away from the nozzle and holds the nail firmly. Be sure to always wear gloves too. I cast hot @ 750* & my 61 is wired to a PID.
    Great old pot.

Boolit Bub
    Fired it up again tonight. Everything was ready. Torch, stick with finish nail, and thermometer.

Turns out this dial was off by 100 degrees. Had the pot set to 700, thermometer read 625. Upped thermometer to 800, thermometer was 700. Flowed like water.

Now to just tweak everything and build some sort of a guide.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I keep a finishing nail clamped in small needle nose vise grips, close by. Keeps my hand away from the nozzle and holds the nail firmly. Be sure to always wear gloves too. I cast hot @ 750* & my 61 is wired to a PID.
    Great old pot.
    Always wear leather gloves and usually something to cover my arms.

Boolit Master
    Lyman made a mold guide for these (also fit the SAECO 10#) but finding one is like searching for the Holy Grail. They sometimes turn up on E-bay or post a WTB, someone may have one from a pot that finally died.

If you find one, unless you get lucky, it will not be cheap. Just checked E-bay and there is one listed for about $100.

I don't know how much clearance you have under your spout, If enough just set a ingot mold under there and use that as your mold guide.
    It catches any drips so it's easy to get them back in the pot.
    Leo

Boolit Bub
    Not being a machinest or a welder, i think i thought of a bubba method to rig one up. Cut a piece of plywood to fit under and be snug against the legs. 3 machine bolts sticking down so i can raise and lower it. Secure it somehow to the legs of the pot to keep it from sliding around. Then some drip edge or flashing with a low edge secured to the ply for a guide on 1 side and some slots cut into it to move it sideways to make sure the mold can be centered on the down spout.

Like i said, bubba now in the house.

Boolit Bub
    Okay, last update. This furnace is fricking awesome. Much quicker and cleaner than ladle pouring out of my saeco.

Built a stand for it so i can see the spout. Massive scroll saw and table saw made some pretty hefty guides out of a 4x6 chunk of teak (wood working friend) and they work great and align my molds easily.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Without photos that's just a pretty story, lets see those guides!
    Gabby