Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is this burner?? Is it usable?

Boolit Master

What exactly is this burner?? Is it usable?

About 20+ years ago I was given this, and I just never did anything with it. Anyone know what it is?

Basically some sort of gas double burner. It belonged to a friend's grandfather or father, I can't remember. Story was he used it for casting up lead fishing sinkers. I don't know if it was for use with propane or maybe a house's natural gas ? Can anyone tell by the pictures?

The grate and burner just lifts out. There is a notch and hook on the far end, the open end goes over the end of the orfice (maybe not the right word?)

This is what it looks like underneath after you lift the burner out

There is some sort of jury rigged hook up setup, that is a plated fitting with a rubber hose, which reminds me of the old lab bunsen burners in science class back in junior high

So exactly what do I have, and is it adaptable to propane?
    Last edited by Patrick L; 05-01-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    It's probably for natural gas, but it's got replaceable orifices (your 3rd photo) so could be adapted to propane if they're not the right size. If you have a gas barbecue, hook it up and try it, outside of course, and see if it works. Or send it to me. You might want to get one of the adjustable high pressure regulators. I've got one of those for melting other metals for casting not boolits. Have done some aluminum, want to do brass, bronze, iron, and steel.

I used one of the propane fired Coleman-type stoves, and my dad used a regular double burner Coleman stove when I was a kid. A cast iron pot, ladle, and some fire, you should be good to go.

Brother gave me an electric lead pot, Lee, I think, but I haven't gotten to play with it much yet.

Its a old natural gas stove.
    They came along before the oven/stove 'ranges' we have now.

Home natural gas is regulated down to a real low pressure.
    That's how it can run off of the rubber supply hose.

You probably need a different oraface/jet for propane, and tinker with the air vent baffles.
    Other than that, you should be able to use the propane tank & hose like what goes to a turkey fryer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

With a very stern, "Propane can readily KILL you!!!" preface, if it were my stove, I'd go to a used RV dealer, hopefully having one in your area, and purchase a REGULATOR. While they do come in different "flavors", a stove as yours should not be too picky. I would first use a rubber nozzle on an pressured air supply -- a small tire filling canister will do -- and after "liberally painting" all valvestems and anywhere it might leak gas, but should not -- apply the pressure and look for leaks. I use about 1/4-cup Dawn dishwasher detergent in a quart of warm tap water. Assuming no air leaks (e.g., valves do not need repacking, and seats do seat), then *I'd* take the stove to said RV dealer. The past two regulators I purchased -- two separate occasions -- set me back $12 and $15 USD, respectively. You might be able to check it out at the RV dealer.... If it works there, your only expense will be the (required!) regulators to reduce the high pressure from evaporating liquid leaving the tank, to a pressure you can adjust -- flame height -- on your stove.
    Good luck; be SAFE; and, I end the epistle as I began: Propane can burn, explode, and kill. (Note, too, propane gas is HEAVIER than air)
    Good luck...hope I helped.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

We had one as a kid and Mom used it out on the picnic table to can fruits and vegetables in the summer.It kept the Heat out of the house. Looked just like yours or very close to it. The one we had was propane and used a 25 lb cylinder. I would recommend taking it to a heating shop or place that sells propane and accessories and have it checked out. They will be able to tell you by the jets size what its set up for what regulator and hose you will need.

Take that rubber hose fitting off and adapt that pipe tread coupler to gas fittings and give it a go.
    That burner looks like it is meant to run low pressure, so go easy.

Boolit Master
    I had that exact stove in a rental 3 years ago. That one was jetted for propane. It's not high power.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is corrosive and will even attack Stainless Steel gas fittings. A master plumber warned me off years ago. It also rusted the stainless pump bottle next to my sink. Since then I buy real leak detector.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

OK forgive my ignorance in these things.

Am I correct that a regulator is that round disc type thing on a propane hose right next to that collar type connector that hooks to the propane tank (at least that's where the one on my gas grill is) and that sort of slows down or reduces the flow of the gas out of the tank into whatever device you are burning the propane in?

Assuming I am correct, if I bought a propane grill replacement hose with the regulator, and then adapted the end of that hose to this burner, would I be good to go? (Assuming of course I checked everything for leaks first.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I had that exact stove in a rental 3 years ago. That one was jetted for propane. It's not high power.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is corrosive and will even attack Stainless Steel gas fittings. A master plumber warned me off years ago. It also rusted the stainless pump bottle next to my sink. Since then I buy real leak detector.
    DAWN attacks stainless steel - really? I've been using it in my sink for 50 years. No signs of damage...
    As for the burner, probably no orice change as you air air volume control with that screw locked damper 2nd pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    if I bought a propane grill replacement hose with the regulator, and then adapted the end of that hose to this burner, would I be good to go? (Assuming of course I checked everything for leaks first.)
    Yep.
    With the red knob on the new regulator to adjust the flow, you may or may not still need a new jet.
    (The plug looking thing with a hole in it where the gas comes out past the white handled cut off valve on the stove.)

A propane place might have the right jet and a fitting to replace the stepped nozzle looking fitting
    where the rubber hose goes on. I'd encourage getting both.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    We have the same stove burner set up. My dad use to can in the garage during summer. You don’t have to change the orificeses. My dad got a regulator that screwed on to the tank then used air compressor hose and quick connectors . Just like in the body shops and mechanics shops. On the end of your stove he used a air hose fitting then used a quick connect coupling and then regular air line hose. Then that hose was connected to the back side of the regulator. You could even use the barbed fitting you have and use regular air compressor hose and hose clamps. Propane is low pressure and you are not leaving the gas on like in a stove in a house. When you want to use it connect the hose to the tank with your quick connectors and regulator . turn the valve on the tank on and light the stove. Just leave the valves on your stove on because you won’t use them. You will only use the valve on the tank and the regulator valve. You will turn the valve off on the tank like you would for a bbq grill any way. You can use the air hose quick connectors or just use like a bbq grill hose and regulator. It will have the fitting you need for hooking it up to the tank then the regulator and hose. Lowe’s or any big hardware stores will have it . Walmart even has it in the summer and camping sections. The reason my dad used the quick connectors was we did body work and had the hoses and fittings. And also only one tank of propane. He used one tank for the bbq grill in summer. In the winter he could just disconnect it an hook up the stove like yours or the little box heater for the garage. Forgot to add yes a bbq hose and regulator is all you need . The turkey frier hose and regulator will also work great. I just seen a bunch of them on sale at menards store.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 04-27-2020 at 12:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Places like harbor fraight and any auto parts stores have the fittings cheep if you wanted to use the quick disconnect set up. That way you could leave the bbq tank outside or in the garage and the stove put up on a shelf some where and you are not always looking for a wrench to take it appart.

Take it outside and just try it.
    Adjustable regulators are available at the hardware store.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the replies.

Actually not even sure I would use it much, just that all this self quarantining has me antsy for projects. I already have a plumber's furnace (see current thread about converting that) AND a turkey fryer, and I use both of them when smelting the raw wheelweights and when mixing up alloy.

Just thought I'd see about getting it up and running "just because."

Boolit Master

Now that I think about it, I have one very similar in my deer camp with copper fittings to cook quick when the wood stoves aren't running. My dad had several units he used to finish off maple syrup. They are handy for cooking outside or power outages. ( or blueing tanks )

Boolit Buddy
    I would drop into your local Gas Guy, I'm a bit far away to help, the burners look like natural gas or town gas burners as do the injectors, to fit a propane gas regulator to it is like putting a brick under your gas pedal to reduce fuel consumption. My advice would be to put it back in the cupboard or hang it on the wall it would be cheaper and safer in the long run.

Boolit Master

OK well then, this project is shelved. Taking a suggestion from one of the replies I got earlier, I replaced that barb fitting (it was just 3/8 NPT) with a quick connect air fitting. That made it easy to use my air compressor to test for leaks. Both of those white handle shut off valves leak when closed, the one on the left in particular. Granted, these valves would generally just be open, and I'd shut the gas off at the tank, but explosive gas hookups are one area I don't really want to accept a "good enough" approach.

And while I'm sure I could replace the shut offs if I really wanted to, this is not something I really need, so I don't feel like spending the time. It was just an interesting project idea. Maybe a retirement project!

Thanks for all the help!

Boolit Master

Those are great handy stoves to have around, have one just like it and use it all the time. From melting lead, to heating my old soldering irons, cooking, melting down beeswax, rendering fat, canning, anything that requires heat. Easily portable, simple, not much to go wrong. Most likely set up for propane. I use an adjustable regulator on mine. I would NOT use quick connect air line fittings, as they easily become disconnected, and then you've got a real dangerous situation on your hands! Be careful!

Boolit Buddy
    Now I'm curious. Do the shutoffs use some type of seal? If there was a small leak around them the gas would just be drawn into the air vent for the burner and shouldn't be a hazard at all. Love the stove, looks like a fun project.

Boolit Master
    Air hose quick connect fittings don’t come appart easy. Worked in a body shop to long. They can come appart but don’t usually leak if they do. There selph sealing . That’s why when you unplug your tool from the air hose all the air dosent leak out of your tank on the compressor.The compressor hose is under 75 to 150 lbs in my shop propane 3to 4 lbs max. Usually the hand valves are packed with a pice of leather for the valve. If they don’t leak valve open usually they don’t very low pressure, you are good to go. Use dawn dish soap to check for leaks. Rinse it off with water it can be carossive if left on copper and not rinsed.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 05-04-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast