RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 7600 35 whelen won’t feed cast

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Remington 7600 35 whelen won’t feed cast

I have the worst luck with testing to get cast to feed. I pulled out my 7600 chambered in 35 whelen today to load up some cast to find out the metplate hits the magazine.

I figured it was a magazine issue as even my J words were getting caught up and jammed when I sighted it in so I modified the magazine to try and fix the feeding issues.

It actually feeds cast and J words perfectly when the round slides off the left side of the magazine but when the 2nd round gets fed from the opposite(right) side it still jams. I watched what was going on inside the action. The bullets/boolots are stopping like they hit a wall on the right side of the feed ramp. It’s like it wasn’t machined properly and all chewed up. I bought this gun the summer before last new from Gryces gun shop and have put all of 12 rounds through it. I remember It was cycling really hard. Now I know why. The noses were jamming on the feed ramp. I hope Remington will repair the issue under warranty. I emailed them a few hours ago with pics. Pretty bummed. I’ll have to remove the laminate stock set and optic before it goes back.

Here’s my hornady super performance ammo that stopped on a dime into the feed ramp and the tip
    lead bent. The others are the dummy rounds of 180 gain speers also jammed and shaved off sides when I tried to cycle them as well.

I even put a light crimp on all figuring it would help with feeding. The bottom line is it won’t feed cast or J words. Hopefully Remington will machine the feed ramps smooth or replace the barrel. I figured since it’s basically new and I don’t have a box of of ammo through it yet I’m leaving it for them to repair. I even tried a couple of my other 7600 magazines and no luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dXiapzv.jpg  
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-26-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Heading back to Remington for repair. Hopefully when they fix it to feed j words it will feed cast as well.

When it comes back does anyone have any suggestions on getting cast to feed from the magazine? Did grind down the front of the magazine so the hollow points would feed in the current magazine. I would assume that is the only way to be then to cycle properly? Anyone have any experience feeding cast in 7600’s? I haven’t had luck with great feeding with any rifle that has a removable magazine to feed cast so far.

I’m almost wondering if it’s possible to make a small feeding ramp insert into the magazine to help guide it up instead of having to grind it down for clearance? I afraid that the boolit might hit to low like it’s doing now abs jamming on the ramp. Even though it’s going back since it doesn’t even cycle j words I’m sure when it comes back with a new magazine I’ll b3 back to square one. I’ll have to find some extra magazines used magazines to try and modify and won’t cry if I wreck them I’m guessing? Any tips or suggestions? The current mag has been ground all the way down to the catch in front and feeds great when a loaded cast dummy round feeds off the left side of the magazine but jams on the right side...and so do j words.

The more I google Remington 7600 35 whelen feeding issues it sounds like it’s a pretty common issue. I wonder why my same gun in 35 Rem cycles just fine.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-28-2020 at 07:11 AM.

No experience with that particular gun but maybe toy around with the lips on the mag possibly open up or spread them a hair in the front so the front of the bullet sits up higher in relation to the bore ? Might not take much tweaking ,had to do this with a 308 Indian enfield mag .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

When it comes back I’m gonna have to find some spare mags an experiment I think. Instead of actually grinding it down to remove some of the magazine maybe I can just bend the lip edge out so it looks like a ramp and slides up onto the chamber? If I grind it down i still could have one catch or scrape every once in while on the sharp edge. I’m thinking a little bend with a pliers on the edge might help?

The j word is a speer 180 grain hot core. You can see it clears the magazine lip but stops on the feed ramp wall. Just like a car that hit a brick wall. Hopefully Remington sands and polishes those walls smooth so my j words at least feed properly first. I did some googling and it sounds like this is a common problem with this caliber and the 7600. Remington needs to modify their feed ramp shape in this caliber apparently.

I just called to see if they can get my FedEx shipment re routed directly to Remington. For some reason the Remington rep I talked the other day has it going to a third party repair center instead of Remington directly. The third party repair center is shut down per the corona lock down order so who knows when it would have been repaired or worked on and how long it would have been on their doorstep collecting dust.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-28-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    2 neighbors have 7600's in 35 whelen, never heard them say anything about problems, we do talk about the rifles, as I would like to add a wood stock 35w to the group. sometimes use the 700 cdl 35w. shoots real well and drt on deer.
    Barry

The .35 Whelen in a Remington 7600 is also deadly on elk and most other animals it is directed at. The only problem I have had with 7600 cycling, has been with resized Lake City '06 brass on extraction, not feed! Otherwise, with 250gr bullets loaded up, the rifle "shucks" itself during recoil

If Remington would sell barrel assemblies, the 7600 would be a candidate for one of the easiest of guns for "switch barrel" conversion with a simple tool that can be made to take off the under lug and barrel. Mine is about as accurate as a bolt action of the same caliber. Good luck on getting yours sorted out!

I tried to buy a whelen barrel for it for years but no one offered them. I think Remington could make some money with selling limited run caliber barrels. It would be like the “pump” Thompson center. I’m sure my 7600 will cycle with j words just fine when it comes back but I’m betting I’m still going to have to modify a magazine to get it to feed with my cast HPs. I realize everything you read on the internet isn’t true but I saw a lot of complaints with the exact same jacket bullet feeding issues with the 7600 in 35 Whelen. IMO it is just like the Ruger American and scout actions chambered in 450 BM that are designed to feed pointed FTX rounds only and I’m betting the 35 Whelen 7600’s aren’t that much different for feeding pointed or round tipped bullets that will slide up over the magazine wall vs coming to a complete halt with a flat metplate. I have some of the same HP cast loaded up fro my 336. I’m going to see if it feeds in my 7600 35 remington carbine while waiting for the whelen to come back. If the 35 Remington 7600 doesn’t feed cast I’m leaving that one alone to eat J words.

I’m still guessing if I bend/curl the magazine lip to the inside of the mag making a round feeding ramp so the metplate will slide up over it I might solve the issue. I just need to find a donor magazine to experiment on.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-29-2020 at 11:39 AM.

I lightbulb just went off! I’ll have to try some loaded with a conical seater push plug vs my flat push plug I fabricated. That way the front of my boolit will stay narrower and have a round HP edge.

I don’t know if it’s going to make that much of a difference but it’s worth a try. I believe my flat push plug puts a sharper, wider, flat edge on my hollow point metplate when I seat them.

Here’s a pic of the same boolit before I seated it with the flat seater plug. Fingers crossed. Won’t know till I get my gun back but I’ll load up some dummy rounds and see it they clear my other magazine. The nose taper looks a lot narrower before I seated it. It might be just enough to clear the mag?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-29-2020 at 05:31 PM.

my 7600 chambered in 35 remington feeds this HP cast just fine. The round is so short it releases from the magazine lips and kicks up into the action. I had to load the at 2.370”. My max OAL was only 2.388”. A lot shorter chamber then my 336.

You didn't store that rifle in the same place as your 450 BM did you? Maybe it got "infected"!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Lol...I believe it did...and it’s sitting next to my new 450BM scout with the same non feeding issue. I have a trick up my sleeve to try yet on the 450 BM scout if I ever take out of the box to shoot it. Im going to try seating them with the conical seater insert instead of the one I sanded flat. I think the flat pusher makes a wider, sharp, flat edge on the boolit and could be catching on the feed ramp. I loaded my 35 Rem 7600 pump with the conical seater and they feed and cycle great. My 336 35 Rem isn’t picky. I believe I have an idea for the 35 whelen as well. The 35 Rem is so short of a round vs the length of the 7600 magazine that it passes the wings/ feed lips on top of the magazine holding the casing in place and it starts feeding up. The whelen “feed lips/wings” hold the long 35 whelen case down because IMO the lips/wings are to long. I think if I remove about a half inch to an inch the case will start to kick up and feed. A member here is donating a couple of mags for the price of shipping so I can experiment.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-01-2020 at 07:40 PM.

If you give up, send it to my FFL and I’ll work on it and get it back to you in a few years- you know, field testing and whatnot.

Lol...I just might. I know you guys have a lot of experience and know all the tricks and secrets to get cast to feed. At least when I get it back I know it’ll feed and cycle and I’m sure you will include the magic load recipes for it. I’ll keep pulling out my hair for a while yet before I give up. I’m hoping it feeds with seating my boolits with the conical pusher inserted into my seater die. I don’t think I’ll probably see it back for a long time to find out. Long story short, the 3rd party gunsmith Remington had me send it to is rerouting my rifle directly to Remington’s factory NY for repair.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.

On the bright side, if you have to buy any 7600 magazines, they are easy to come buy and not all that expensive.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I getting a coupe of extra 10 rounders from a member here next week to experiment with. Between lowering the magazine feed ramp and shortening the feed lips I’m feeling pretty good about getting them to feed. I had mine feeding off the the left side of the magazine but the barrels feed ramp was chewed up on the right and seemed higher than the left side imo and catching the metplate....same with the narrow j word super performance a. O. I’m I’m lucky all I’ll have to do is some magazine modifications when it comes back. If I get it down I have three scout magazines for my 450BM so that will be next.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-03-2020 at 08:38 AM.

I found this. It might help! Heating an Airsoft BB and swaging it down with my conical seater die insert. I’m thinking this will get it to roll right up off the magazine and up the ramp, fingers crossed.

https://youtu.be/3WCtiv7SRw4
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-03-2020 at 09:57 AM.

I made some of these today by melting an air soft BB and swaging it into the HP cavity. I don’t know how consistent they’ll end up being.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-03-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Load 'em in a dummy round and give it a try. At any rate they look pretty cool.

If that is the mp 150 hp I have feeding issues in one of my bolt guns with that round as well. I may have missed it but is the magazine you are using factory?

If so it may be the follower, spring tension or feed lil geometry or a combination of all 3. I've battled some finicky mags before. It could be that when your mags are locked in they are not flush or have a bit of negative angle to them causing the rounds to be pushed down?
    My firearms project blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast