RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: lyman's lead dipper w spout is $40?

Banned

lyman's lead dipper w spout is $40?

I have yet to cast with my two 6 cavity 9mm lee molds. Decades ago, when I used H and G 4 cavity molds, I found that having a dipper with a spout really did help eliminate having rounded bases on my bullets. I did cast a very few .45 Lee bullets for a friend almost 20 years ago, but he had perfect linotype alloy, so that might have lead to the perfect casts,, even with an open top dipper. Can anyone tell me if the aluminum molds are a big help with that? Also, does the lee tumble lube work with 9mm bullets? I really wont be casting enough to justify the cost of sizer-luber machine. Finding the lead is a problem around here. I"m aware that I need to hold down velocities in order to not get fouling and keyholing. I"ve got both 125 gr and 150 gr lrn molds. Any recommended lubes, if the tumble-lube is not all that hot? Thanks.

Dunno where you're pricing your dippers at. They are 26 off amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lyman+dipper&ref=is_s I bought one and ground off the feet and left handed adapter.

Banned
    I was on E bay, which probably explains the 25% difference. THANKS

Boolit Buddy
    $27 at Midway or $22 at Midsouth .
    Bill

Boolit Master
    I use lee tumble lube for all my loads. I dont shoot hot 9mm loads at all. My best loads in 9 mm is 3.5 to 4.0 of bulseye with 115 to 130 gr loads. All the molds I have tried are lee for the 9mm and some of the 38/357 lee molds. My star and my beretta 92fs are oversized so I don’t size my bullets. They don’t like .355 .356 sized commercial cast bullets, they lead. With the as cast 9mm lee molds with alox there fine. I really like the white label lube alox 45/45/10. Also I am lucky I guess because my lee molds in 9mm all cast .3575 .358

Boolit Master
    I have used the same Lyman dipper for 55 odd years ...wood handle is a little scorched ,still works fine ....is that good value ?....Problems with bottom pour ?

Moderator Emeritus

caffe,
    welcome to the forum.

I would suggest a Bottom pour pot, that might solve some of your problems.

We all have the same issues with finding lead, but luckily, it still can be shipped in at reasonable prices.

Tumble lube works for many applications, but once you are hooked, you'll likely want a lubesizer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I have found that many of the casting problems I had my first 15 years magically went away when I went to a quality dipper. Look at Rotometals one lb dipper. Lee's is useful for 1/4 oz sinkers not much heavier.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

When using a spoon-type dipper, it really does help to leave a large lead puddle on top of the sprue plate before you cut. If you don't do so already, a little added tin will help with fillout. And IME, Lee aluminum molds like to run hot.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

I ladle cast heavy for caliber rifle bullets. 38 cal up to 45 cal. weights are 335-550 grns. I use either a lyman or RCBS ladle with the spouts hle opened up to .210 dia. A session with these will be with in .5 grn. I prefer the ladle. Pour a big sprue or better hang the mould over the top of you pot and pour a full ladle letting the excess run back into the pot. This helps keep the bases molten longer giving much better fill out. Experiment with temp of alloy and cadence. A thermometer is a big help in repeating results.

As to sizing and lubing Lee tumble lube works or you can pan lube with most lubes a cutter helps to remove bullets from the lube. A case with the flash hole primer pocket drilled out does well for this. If you require sizing then a lee or noe push thru works good in a reloading press after lubing them. With the lee liquid alox 2 coats one before sizing and one after. The lees can be polished out to get just the size you want if needed.

As to ladles Lyman RCBS or rowel are good choices. Ir one can be made from hardware store materials with a little time and work.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have used a Lyman bottom pour ladle for over 50 years - still using the first one I bought but have purchased a couple of "back ups" along the way. I have found some on evil bay - you just have to keep your eyes open and one will come along that can be picked up at a reasonable price. I picked one up off of evil bay a year or so ago as I bought pot so I could cast out here in AZ where we winter - IIRC, I think I paid something like $15 or $16 for it shipped and it was an older one that was NIB.