WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2ADvertise hereRepackbox

Thread: Barrel Maker?

Boolit Buddy

Barrel Maker?

I have a line on a barrel for one of my oddball projects, however I have been unable to find any information. The markings on the barrel, according to the seller, are:

1.25x.775x 26.5. Weight 6#.
    Marked 15T
    30x47 HBR
    M.P (brand)
    SS (stainless )

Searching for variations on MP only results in hits on M&P, which does no good. Since this is my last attempt at a pricey project (the barrel needs to be turned down to .46") I would like to start with a blank that offered a good chance of being reasonably accurate.

Has anyone heard of this manufacturer, or know of a source of information better than google?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

That might be a Ballistic Advantage. I have a 308 project I've been doing for years and my barrel has the MP marking also. Sorry I am not that knowledgeable on barrels.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    McGowan precision if my mind still works check their website

Boolit Man
    MP may mean magnetic particle tested. First the barrel is dusted with metal powder. Then magnetized.
    Any cracks or imperfections under the surface will show up in a pattern of the magnetized powder.

Many AR15 barrels are marked MP which means they have been tested.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    McGowan precision if my mind still works check their website
    Thank you. Will do.

I'm told the barrel comes from the estate of a an experienced and well-supplied benchrest shooter.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Last edited by RG1911; 04-27-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added info

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    That might be a Ballistic Advantage. I have a 308 project I've been doing for years and my barrel has the MP marking also. Sorry I am not that knowledgeable on barrels.
    Thank you. I've also received this reply:

"Estimated windage: Morrison Precision . . . that's a guess based upon the last Bernie Morrison BBL in my rack: it's stamped M.P. Co. If it is a Morrison, it should be very good."

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

I'd find one closer to needed spec. Your gunsmith might have better ideas on that, I really don't like making the smitty do much turning profiling.. uncle mike

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    I'd find one closer to needed spec. Your gunsmith might have better ideas on that, I really don't like making the smitty do much turning profiling.. uncle mike
    No argument from me (or my 'smith). I would love to be able to give the specifications to Krieger or McGowan, or ... but they're out of my price range (retired fixed income). And I've been looking for almost 5 years for a take-off or used barrel; this is the first slow-twist that's come along at a price I can afford. One estimate for the cost of turning it down is in the doable range for me.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life