Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: reloading 327 federal magnum in dillon sdb

Boolit Man

reloading 327 federal magnum in dillon sdb

i am hoping to set up my sdb to allow me to load 327mag (and the HR 32 mag). Does anyone know if this can be done with the SDB? there seems to be some discussion on the web that this doesn't work so well if at all and the dies they sell specify only the 32 magnum
    thanks

Boolit Buddy

Dillon says No.

"Not at all. The inside webbing of the cases are too thick for our die design, in addition to the considerable length difference."

https://www.dillonprecision.com/327-...350_9_3331.htm

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Well that doesn't sound good. Any workarounds available or do i need to consider a 500c?

Boolit Mold
    You should do more research on this, I read the Dillon comment as related to their dies, not the SBD. I load thousands of 327 on my 550, no reason the sbd cant do it (I have about 500 Hornady brass, 500 star line, and about 100 federal, all process the same) Dies? I have a bunch of them all, what I run constantly is a Hornady 32 acp sizer (that titanium Gogo unicorn coating is like butter I swear), Dillon 32 powder funnel, RCBS 32-20 seating die and just tonight changed over to a Lee 32 SW crimp die (I seat and crimp at separate stations, I like the results better). I used the Hornady 32acp taper crimp forever but just despise the crimp collar retainer bail pin, really weak design, saw a Lee used die set at the LGS for $14.99, spare parts, and now super nice fixed value crimp with no moving parts.... try it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not familiar with Dillon brand dies, but other brands work just fine. I load using Lee 32 H&R dies without any problems. Dillon still doesn't make 327 federal specific dies for the SDB?

The sizer should not matter. The sizer diameter of all the 32's are the exact same, including 327 federal, 32 H&R, 32 long, 32 s&w, and possibly more. They are all straight walls, size all the way to the bottom, should be no problem. Unless the SDB dies are not adjustable very far, the flare and seating/crimping shouldn't be a problem.

Boolit Man
    i'll keep looking-thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgmcfarland View Post
    You should do more research on this, I read the Dillon comment as related to their dies, not the SBD. I load thousands of 327 on my 550, no reason the sbd cant do it (I have about 500 Hornady brass, 500 star line, and about 100 federal, all process the same) Dies? I have a bunch of them all, what I run constantly is a Hornady 32 acp sizer (that titanium Gogo unicorn coating is like butter I swear), Dillon 32 powder funnel, RCBS 32-20 seating die and just tonight changed over to a Lee 32 SW crimp die (I seat and crimp at separate stations, I like the results better). I used the Hornady 32acp taper crimp forever but just despise the crimp collar retainer bail pin, really weak design, saw a Lee used die set at the LGS for $14.99, spare parts, and now super nice fixed value crimp with no moving parts.... try it.
    The Square Deal uses proprietary dies that fit only it, so changing over to some other die isn't an option.

Boolit Buddy

You also have to think of the the Square Deal B (SDB) press strength. The press is only designed to load pistol cartridges. It's made of aluminum.
    Sizing that 32 Fed mag case might overstress the whole press.

I think I have a work around, but it requires a single stage press .
    I load 10mm on my SDB. I load .403 coated cast bullets. The Dillon expander will not expand the cases big enough to load these with out squeezing the bullet base down. I regularly size and then expand with a NOE Expander on a single stage press. I then take out the sizing die from the SDB and load normally.
    You could try this with the 32 Fed mag. The only concern I have is the cartridge overall length. Will it fit inside the Dillon SDB?

Boolit Grand Master

327 federal cases size and expand easy peasy. Anything that can load 357 magnum has no valid excuse for not loading 327 federal.

Boolit Master

As stated if Dillon doesn't make the dies for the SDB then you're pretty much stuck. Dillon doesn't make any 327 FM dies for the SDB, or for any other press for that matter.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can get a 32 magnum, there should be no problem adjusting the dies to allow loading of the 327. The difference in case length is only a hair over an eighth of an inch, but, just to be sure, a phone call to Dillon would be in order.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    If you can get a 32 magnum, there should be no problem adjusting the dies to allow loading of the 327. The difference in case length is only a hair over an eighth of an inch, but, just to be sure, a phone call to Dillon would be in order.
    No need to call Dillon. Just read the Blue Press or check out their website.

They don't make the dies.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Man
    YES, It can work! I load .327's on mine.. Once you buy the Square Deal .32 H&R/.32 S&W dies ($110.00 bucks). As they come from Dillon, as I found out after I bought them, they don't work because the seater stem (the shorter of the two) is too long and if you try to adjust it out to seat a boolit in the .327 case, before it clears the boolit, it runs out of threads to hold it in the tool plate ! So, after thinking a bit, I decided that the seater stem must be shortened some. As I didn't want to shortened the original stem, so I could still use it for the other .32 calibers, I order another stem from Dillon and shortened it. The original stem (for round nose bullets or jacketed bullets) is about 1.382" OAL, I shortened the new stem to 1.284", and now to leaves enough threads to hold steady in the tool head. it may need to be shortened again in the future for longer boolits, but time will tell ! I haven't tried to seat that 140 gr Slegehammer Two Dogs boolit yet, so we'll see. Of course your stem takes on a flat profile like a WC stem, but for me that's fine. Also, while I was altering the stem, I go rid of that hollow center space in that stem by drilling and tapping it for 8-32,I think it was, screwing in a socket head screw, cutting the socket head off and turning the remains along with the stem to make it solid.. That was my fix, and it worked for me.. Good luck ! mick27

Boolit Buddy

Mick27, thanks for the input.
    Did you have a problem with the decapping pin bottoming out at the first station?
    I've seen that reported before.
    327 Mag brass has a thicker head when compared to the other 32's.

Boolit Man
    Valley,
    No, I haven't had that problem, as of yet, and I am using Starline 327 brass..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Mick27, thanks for the input.
    Did you have a problem with the decapping pin bottoming out at the first station?
    I've seen that reported before.
    327 Mag brass has a thicker head when compared to the other 32's.

Forget the thicker web, hard sizing nonsense that Dillon is misinforming people with. 327 federal sizes like butter.