RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: COVID-19 And what I know

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    So, you accept 40,000 to 50,000 deaths per year, plus 200,000 injuries, from car accidents because at least we're trying to prevent them, even though they still occur? Yet, if we completely banned driving and shut down all the roads, all those lives would be saved. But, you would not accept deaths from a virus that might occur if we open businesses, schools, etc? That makes no sense. And, numbers are science, not politics.
    It might be stupid that we accept all those car accidents deaths.

"the reduction of traffic during lockdown has had another pretty obvious side effect: a drastic drop in the number of accidents. In California, where traffic has fallen by between 20% and 55%, there have been around 450 accidents each day, compared to the usual level of 1,128."

People do not use their freedom wisely.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

COVID-19 And what I know

It’s none of the government’s business how people “use” their freedom. That’s what I take issue with.
    There will be lawsuits filed in every state for abuse of power and unconstitutional actions.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    If the mortality rate is like your low number of 0.2% and everybody gets infected because we end social distancing before we have a cure or vaccine then over half a million people in the USA would die. The price of herd immunity if it could be achieved by exposure to the virus is half a million Americans. Maybe that is what you are hoping for, survival of the fittest since the virus mostly kills the weak, the old, the sick, minorities, those living in crowded cities and the disadvantaged.

Tim
    This is how’s it’s worked since humans have been around. And as bad as it sounds forcing the 99.8% to suffer so the 0.2% “survive” is ridiculous. I don’t want to die. I don’t want anyone I know to die. But I accept death as a fact of life. This is something previous generations knew a lot better than us. You can die at any moment and no one gets out alive.

A vaccine is a pipe dream. Even if they do make one it will be rushed through. There’s a reason vaccines take a decade plus to be approved. Lots of potential long term issues w/ a rushed vaccine. I’m not anti vaccine but I want nothing to do w/ this potential one if it’s rushed through.

All we have done is kicked the proverbial can down the road when it comes to herd immunity. We have potentially killed the economy. At a minimum it’s going to take a long time to recover. And we have hurt almost all hospitals financially. Expect a lot of bankruptcies and mergers. A one size fits all approach was a bad idea and we are going to be living w/ the repercussions for the rest of our lives.

Banned
    Germany’s economists are estimating at least eight years to recover from the government’s forced shutdown of their economy.
    As more data starts flowing in for the 2Q reports, it’s not looking good for us here in the States, either. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the new hyper-bubble the Fed is now inflating burst and take the markets even lower than the March bottom.
    Say goodbye to your pensions!
    R/Griff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is how’s it’s worked since humans have been around. And as bad as it sounds forcing the 99.8% to suffer so the 0.2% “survive” is ridiculous.…...
    Is it ridiculous for all of us to suffer some to help a few of us survive? We should not be forced but we should do it voluntarily.

If the government did not force business and schools to close don't you think many of them would have closed anyway. Schools closed before the government order the lockdown.

If you believe that the government does not have the authority to shutdown businesses then I guess you believe the government does not have the authority to force them to stay open either.

Tim

If everything is shut down and no one is producing food a lot more people will die and not from the virus.
    I know!
    Let them eat cake!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Germany’s economists are estimating at least eight years to recover from the government’s forced shutdown of their economy.
    As more data starts flowing in for the 2Q reports, it’s not looking good for us here in the States, either. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the new hyper-bubble the Fed is now inflating burst and take the markets even lower than the March bottom.
    Say goodbye to your pensions!
    R/Griff
    I have been predicting a recession since before the declaration of the pandemic. I think we will see at least a 30% drop from here and maybe more. I am almost 100% in cash and gold and have been for more than a year. The pandemic did not cause the recession it just triggered it. The economy was due for a recession.

Regarding a recovery. There will be a recovery and it will be uneven with some sectors never recovering.

My pension will likely be fine for what that is worth. It is from one of the biggest defense contractors on the planet. I say for what it is worth because it is a fix payment and does not adjust with inflation so its real value will decrease pretty quickly especially if inflation ramps up and I think that is a given at this point.

The economy was already in trouble and the pandemic was going to be damaging even if governments did not shut down the economies. China was the first economy to shutdown, it is not like the U.S. made up the shutdown idea. Many countries shutdown before we did. Countries that did not shutdown are not doing all that much better than the U.S. Some countries that shutdown fast and hard are doing better than the U.S.

Tim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345