Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things we will absolutely need should SHTF

Things we will absolutely need should SHTF

The bug going around got me thinking about basic necessities, and even though I always have, always had years worth of non-perishable food on hand, I bought a hand-crank flour mill and a hand-crank oil press. My line of thinking was that cooking without oil and baking without flour are simply impossible. The mill is already here, and I have tested it. Works wonders on everything but rice (due to its extremely hard grains it is hard to mill and has to be milled thrice). Now my wife's cookies and pancakes are better then ever.

Next on my list is a balance weight scale, for reloading, past the point where batteries could be obtained.

I can melt lead in a cooking pot.

The last concern is tumbling. What does everyone expect to use for tumbling, should no electric power be available? Or is it Okay to reload w/o tumbling the cases? My impression is that using a dirty, sooty case results in more heat transferred to the barrel. Any other disadvantages from that?

It's fine to load cases that aren't shiny as long as they are reasonably clean. Wiping with a clean rag and water to remove most of the soot is enough.

For off the grid tumbling, there are options. You might want to run a shop off a water wheel with leather belts. That's one way if your set up for woodworking. Course you could rig up a small water wheel just for tumbling.

Then there's the idea of water or solar power to run your standard electric tumbler.

If you have any traveling to do, you might could rig a drum on a bicycle to spin as you roll. Course you could always do the treadle method if need be, but I like the idea of incorporating tumbling into another action.

Boolit Master

For years before I had a tumbler, and for several thousand rounds I cleaned my cases with Ether (starting fluid) on a shop towel. I have also "buffed" the cases with a coarse polishing cloth such as the 3M cloths.
    Shiny cases are nice and pretty but I don't think there is anything wrong with loading dirty cases if need be. I've been shooting quite a few 30-30 cast bullets over the last several years and I might tumble the cases every 4th or 5th firing.
    Rick

I've got an idea in mind for a compact rocket stove melting pot setup. Got most of what I need. I'm going to make it out of a small air compressor tank, and sink a Lyman 10 pound pot in it. I'm thinking with a little practice I'll be able to keep a decent temperature.

I had the hand crank flour mill, have used it some, it makes awesome peanut and nut butters.

Oil press is a good idea. I've just been stashing 1 gallon jugs of Canola oil. Can be used for cooking, light, heat, etc.

One thing I've thought of, in regards to shtf loading. You're much better being set for only a few calibers than a whole safe full. Say, 30-30 and 38/357. I'd rather have a lifetime supply of components for two calibers than a two year supply for a dozen calibers.

Boolit Master
    Never had a tumbler before. If they get to bad I clean with A squirt of dawn dish liquid and citric acid or lemon juice. put the brass in a big pot fill above the brass with water. Then add the citric acid and a few squirts of dawn. They are not real shiny but are Clean . They shoot just as good as the discolored ones or the polished ones. I do get some batches polished sometimes from a friend that has one. The hand grain grinder I have to run the grain through three to four times for flour. It will wear you out grinding enuf for three loaves of bread. Not much fun but doable . I have the cheep lee scale and it works just fine, very sensitive. I think two things I would want is a water purifier and a way to charge cell phones and batteries.

Seems like I'm the only person that hasn't switched to a digital scale. I do a lot of simple loading. Hand trimming, dipper charging. I've done a lot of pan lubing in the past, I prefer my Lyman sizer though. I often think of simpler ways and times when loading. I load on the Lee hand press a lot.

Boolit Master
    I bought a digital scale but I have not used it yet. I still use my balance scales. I bought the digital scale to weight sort bullets, it is much fast for that type of work.

I stopped tumbling when I got tired of selling brass. I burned out two tumblers.

Water and water purifiers are a must.

Solar power, batteries and an inverter will make my life happier when I run out of fuel for the generator.

If the SHTF I have more loaded ammo than I would use even if we have zombies if I don't waste it shooting for fun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

if shtf really happened theres a good chance your not going to have power to run a tumbler. I have what I think is the best solutions THOUSANDS of rounds loaded all the time. If shtf my plinking would probably end and to be truthful I don't think id live through enough battles to use up a 1/10 of my ammo .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The bug going around got me thinking about basic necessities, and even though I always have, always had years worth of non-perishable food on hand, I bought a hand-crank flour mill and a hand-crank oil press. My line of thinking was that cooking without oil and baking without flour are simply impossible. The mill is already here, and I have tested it. Works wonders on everything but rice (due to its extremely hard grains it is hard to mill and has to be milled thrice). Now my wife's cookies and pancakes are better then ever.

Next on my list is a balance weight scale, for reloading, past the point where batteries could be obtained.

I can melt lead in a cooking pot.

The last concern is tumbling. What does everyone expect to use for tumbling, should no electric power be available? Or is it Okay to reload w/o tumbling the cases? My impression is that using a dirty, sooty case results in more heat transferred to the barrel. Any other disadvantages from that?
    It's been 8 weeks since we can find flour & yeast in the grocery stores. Learn to make a sour dough starter or at least keep some dried yeast in rotation.

You can melt lead in a cast iron or ss pot but not in an aluminum pot as it will fail & leak.

Many guys just soak their cases in soapy water with a little agitation. You can also add a little lemon juice, citric acid or vinegar.

I powder coat my bullets for long term storage, it works keep them from oxidizing as well as a lube. What do you plan on lubing your bullets with? I have the ingredients for 45-45-10 tumble lube it's easy to make, easy to apply, dries hard to the touch and a quart will last you a lifetime. 45% Liquid Alox, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits. No reason I can't tumble lube the PCed bullets either. I see guys here shooting GC tumble lubed or PCed bullets to about 2,400fps. Slow, heavy bullets kill just as well if not better than as fast lite bullets.

I am on RO for drinking water and have a spare portable RO as well.

Sourdough makes me sick, unfortunately, so I stick with yeast. Might as well learn its production.

For the absolutely off-grid, I am thinking of rigging a car alternator to a wind turbine and using a PMDC to prime it. Then, 12V DC will pass through an inverter and become 110V AC. I have plenty of everything in this regard since one of my businesses sells electronic components. This is on top of the 9 kWt generator that will sure run out of gas quickly, after SHTF.

The ammunition is covered. It is the rest of necessities that keep me worried. Freezers, especially. I cannot eat corned beef. It makes me sick. So if power goes out, I am out

Moderator Emeritus

What are you growing that you could press for oil? Just curious.
    Pint bottles put up in a pressure cooker give great results with a usable product.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have sunflower and may add flax to the crop.
    Just need to get rid of the squirrel population since they have a fondness for my sunflowers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just need to get rid of the squirrel population since they have a fondness for my sunflowers.
    In a SHTF scenario, they become a protein source. They are a good resource before then as well.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

Manual case trimmer yes , lived where the power would or could be off for days , balance beam scale yes no batteries no plug in , wash cases in citrus acid and a little soap , still have manual grinder for meat , for grain a little soak first cook then brew , yeast always kept a active culture why buy it every time a soda jug works great add a little wort and stick in cooler , as lloyd says keep a good supply already loaded , cast and I coat and put up just bullets for future reloading , I know hoarder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Seems like I'm the only person that hasn't switched to a digital scale. I do a lot of simple loading. Hand trimming, dipper charging. I've done a lot of pan lubing in the past, I prefer my Lyman sizer though. I often think of simpler ways and times when loading. I load on the Lee hand press a lot.
    We've got a digital scale for the kitchen, but I'm not trusting my face or hands to a load measured with a digital scale. I've got an old Redding #1, an Ohaus triple beam lab scale, and an ancient grocer's beam balance. Lots of coffee filters, and I don't drink coffee. Clorox without the "fresh scent" for water purification. The beginnings of a small machine shop. And we're missing a bunch of stuff we should have.

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    In a SHTF scenario, they become a protein source. They are a good resource before then as well.
    Bevare of plague! Like all rodents, they carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    We've got a digital scale for the kitchen, but I'm not trusting my face or hands to a load measured with a digital scale.
    I have Neva digital scale that is accurate to 0.2 gr. Getting very consistent loads with it. You are probably referring to 0.01 oz kitchen scale?

USMC 77, USRA 79

the fat from a deer or just about anything else works good for lube.. a tube of alox and some deer fat will work good long as you render well...

learn to make soap... you will be glad you did.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you really think that in a true SHTF situation your going to be tumbling brass much less reloading? If things get that bad you had better have your ammo already loaded. Even having a flour mill is kind or out there for most of us, chances are unless you live in a rural area your going to be displaced or dead from defending your stuff.

Instead of a flour mill and storing stuff to grind why not just store a few 5 gallon bucks of different flour sealed in mylar bags. When you run out of grains to grind the flour mill will be of no use unless you are thinking you can grow grains but here again if you have to grow your own grains chances are you will be displaced and starting over somewhere new. If you enjoy grinding your own stuff for everyday use thats great but just as a SHTF deal there are better ways.

Most preppers have this fantasy that they will live out there days in there home surrounded by piles of there supply's but in reality most will be displaced with what they can carry or be dead from trying to defend there stuff from the hoards of people that want it. Its impossible for a few people to defend a house or small property 24/7.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast