RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Things we will absolutely need should SHTF

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gishooter View Post
    "Prep but be realistic". Part II
    Yes, got to be able to survive off your stored stuff until you have a HARVEST! Practice growing now. And saving seeds. Seeds and food isn't a one time buy a package and just put it in the ground. And suddenly you have all the food you need.
    I use this method:

https://squarefootgardening.org

Saving seed: https://www.seedsavers.org/heirloom-seeds

I usually buy my seeds from victory gardens website. But have bought from other places as well. Believe it or not the local small town hardware store carries a lot of seed for stuff that grows well in my AO.

Water: I have food grade 55 gallon NSP rated 55 gallon plastic barrels. Consensus is 1 gallon of water per person per day for drinking and cooking. I used to use unscented regular bleach to sanitize water (not the low splash because it has surfactant chemicals added). Switched to using calcium hypochlorite.
    This site has the best instructions I've found. I even printed them out, laminated, and taped to a barrel. Have another hard copy with the calcium hypochlorite.
    https://theprovidentprepper.org/disi...-hypochlorite/

My only concern is my well. The water table is fairly deep. And without electricity I'm not going to be able to pump water. I do have a diesel generator that easily powers everything. I have enough diesel to run it as needed to keep water pressure up and freezers going for a month or so. But long term I need to find something that will pull from a deep well.
    I haven't tried it yet but supposedly you can generate diesel fuel from plastics. I watched a YouTube video of a guy that was on an island who took the plastic crap washing up and such, put them in basically a still type setup and generated diesel that his island neighbors used for farming. I have looked at a lot of videos but am not a chemist so... I have just been keeping my recycling plastics in garbage bags behind my garage vs taking them to our transfer station ( no recycling centers anywhere near me nor trash pickup - easier to put in my trsiler and take out about 3x a year. No food garbage in trash). In a SHTF scenario, you only need wood as a fuel to heat the plastic and would be able to use generated diesel to pump water. A secondary gravity tank might also be an option. I am looking for a 1,000 gallon water tank that can be filled from a spring up my mountain a bit. Problem is they are also expensive and unavailable now in my area.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but supposedly you can generate diesel fuel from plastics. I watched a YouTube video of a guy that was on an island who took the plastic crap washing up and such, put them in basically a still type setup and generated diesel that his island neighbors used for farming. I have looked at a lot of videos but am not a chemist so... I have just been keeping my recycling plastics in garbage bags behind my garage vs taking them to our transfer station ( no recycling centers anywhere near me nor trash pickup - easier to put in my trsiler and take out about 3x a year. No food garbage in trash). In a SHTF scenario, you only need wood as a fuel to heat the plastic and would be able to use generated diesel to pump water. A secondary gravity tank might also be an option. I am looking for a 1,000 gallon water tank that can be filled from a spring up my mountain a bit. Problem is they are also expensive and unavailable now in my area.
    There are some oil wells near in northwest florida on the alabama line. I wonder if someone could distill off the lighter part of it. On a warm day it might even run in my older kubota tractors straight out the well.

Just got two 500 foot spools of Paracord, brown and green camo. Decent price. Bank line is another one that is very handy at times.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456