Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Dillon Adjustable Toolhead ?

Dillon Adjustable Toolhead ?

Several years ago I bought an adjustable tool-head for my 550b from a vender on ebay. It's a billet affair that utilizes a .10" spacer to allow a swap from .38 Spec. to .357 Mag. w/o any die adjustment (it'd also allow a swap from .44 Mag. to .44 Spec.). See attached photo.

Back then I'd occasionally load .44 Mag. & didn't see any use to buy two. With age I finally realized that I had no further use for the .44 Mag., but fell in love with the .44 Spec. (I have 3 now). No problem up to this point.

Recently a close friend of my son bought a .44 Mag.. This friend is a contractor & occasionally does small jobs for me at little cost & sometimes no cost. To reciprocate, I load some .44 mag. ammo for him.

This brings us to the point of this thread. I need another adjustable tool-head & there are none listed on ebay now. Does anyone know a current source for this item?

Thanks,
    Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks for the quick response!
    I should have posted on the forum first before gleaning through 14 1/2 pages on ebay.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    I tried contacting the guy that made those a while back and never got a reply. It seemed like a great idea but thinking it through I think a spare tool head and a set of lee dies may be in my future for a bit less cost.

Boolit Man
    Interesting, first I've ever seen anything like this.

Boolit Master

For what those used to cost I bought a used tool head and a used set of dies. Now I have separate tool heads for 38 and 357.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    For what those used to cost I bought a used tool head and a used set of dies. Now I have separate tool heads for 38 and 357.
    If I don't get a response from Doug Williams, I'll do the same. I already have an extra tool head & a die set. A powder die would put me in business.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Henry

Boolit Master
    How does that work with sizing? Seems to me that you’d still have to adjust the sizing die, then adjust the seating die for the different bullet profile, and then the powder charge. Would be nice not to adjust the expander.

That’s what I did.

Boolit Buddy
    Interested to see a response from Doug. Very nice product.

Would like one for my 45-70 Hornady vs other brass.

Boolit Master

did the same thing for my SDB. both 38/357 and 32 Long/32 Mag. I knew it was going to cost a bit but it is SO easy to change over that it was worth it. Four bolts with an electric drill and done.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I emailed Doug Williams shortly after skeettx posted the video back on 4/25/20. I received a response yesterday. It seems there had been some production problems & other issues. He is now back into operation & has 2 models for the 550 & 2 for the 650. I ordered another one (.38 spec./,357 mag/ .44 spec., ,44 mag.) for my 550C. He also has one for the .40 S&W/10mm & one for the .45ACP/.45GAP

It arrived today

I had an extra tool head & an extra powder die. I even had an extra 3 die set: but, my 3 die set did not de-prime on sizing & the single seat/crimp die is not in the same league with Dillon's 2 die quick disassemble feature for cleaning. With the extra tool head/die set-up the powder measure would need to be removed & re-installed.

The Doug Williams adjustable unit only cost $65.00 delivered (less than another Dillon die set & more convenient).

Here's a couple of photos. The workmanship is top drawer. I'm happy.

BTW: No die adjustment needed if the same boolit is used (adjust dies for the .44 spec. & the spacer will take care of the .44 Mag.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG   MVC-002F.JPG