Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping non-gun?

Shipping non-gun?

Gary Reeder says "I will need your revolver BUT I don’t need the whole thing. Take the cylinder out and ship it as a “non gun” and no problems."

https://www.reedercustomguns.com/reddotbase.htm

Anybody know the background on this? The serial-numbered frame is the "gun."
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-26-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you are shipping the frame it is a gun. Shipping the cylinder not.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Gary Reeder says "I will need your revolver BUT I don’t need the whole thing. Take the cylinder out and ship it as a “non gun” and no problems."

Anybody know the background on this? I thought the serial-numbered frame was the "gun."
    The frame itself IS the gun in the eyes of the BATFE.
    You may be able to ship to him if he is an FFL, don't know about that.
    He is definitely wrong about it being a "non gun".
    If you don't believe me just try to buy a bare AR receiver.
    If you are able to direct ship to him, you WILL be required to pick it up at an FFL.
    Ever buy a gun from an FFL on line? They are always required to send it to an FFL where you have to fill out a 4473 form.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't want to deal with someone who either encourages illegal behavior or is ignorant of the laws governing their business, but that's just me.

I thought the serial-numbered frame was the "gun."
    You are exactly right.

However;
    If its a curio or relic, moving it around is a little different than new/modern firearms.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    There is also a caveat regarding the shipment of your own gun for repairs.
    FWIW
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    There is also a caveat regarding the shipment of your own gun for repairs.
    FWIW
    Chris
    This is how it is here. I don't know if all states apply. You may ship directly to and from an FFL. Shipping a gun is a lot easier than shipping ammo, nobody needs to know what is inside. Definitely pay for the insurance.

Boolit Buddy

Anybody know the background on this? I thought the serial-numbered frame was the "gun."
    If it has the Serial Number on it it can not be shipped as a non gun. If Reeder does not know this I would not trust him to do work on my firearm. I used to look at his Forum years ago and I found he and its members were not to my tastes. Language and pictures posted of women were distasteful.

Banned

If it has a serial number it's a gun. The frame has the serial number.

Boolit Master

Of course it's legal for me to ship the revolver directly to him, with or without the cylinder. And he can legally ship it directly to me. I think what Reeder is getting at is UPS and FedEx rules. Do they differentiate between a revolver with the cylinder and one without? Do they relax the "next day" rule if the gun is inoperable?
    No they don't.

It's a GUN. It has a serial number.

You might get away with it, but if you need to collect on the insurance you're screwed if you didn't follow their rules.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    “If you are able to direct ship to him, you WILL be required to pick it up at an FFL.“

That hasn’t been my experience. I have had several handguns I had to send off for warranty or other work, I shipped them via UPS overnight, and they were returned directly to me via UPS or Fedex. Rugers, Glocks, and most recently, one made by Springfield Armory. Late last year.

If you have an FFL send it in for you, my experience has been that it will be shipped back to that FFL and you’ll have to fill out a new 4473 to take possession of it again.

As to the presence of a serial number causing a part to be classified a firearm, I’m not sure that’s correct, either. Glock barrels have serial numbers and are not restricted as “firearms” for shipping purposes, at least as far as Federal and Texas law are concerned.

As to state laws in other states, I guess anything is possible.

I agree that there’s something fishy with what Reeder supposedly said about removing the cylinder from a serial numbered frame rendering that frame a non-gun. Perhaps the OP misconstrued what was said.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 04-25-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Normally the frame or receiver is required to have a serial number since the passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act. The AR type rifles don't contain the breechblock so this is being challenged.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.11

Frame or receiver. That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

https://johnpierceesq.com/may-a-guns...-to-the-owner/

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in
    my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across
    State lines?
    Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another
    licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal
    Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped
    to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received
    without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also
    return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C.
    § 922(a)(2)(A).
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I've written to Gary Reeder. Maybe he will explain himself. If he answers, I'll post here.

Boolit Master
    All you need is a few of these "get around" ideas to get caught and no one will ship firearms anymore. A firearm has a serial number on it, and has since 1968 as stated above. The idea of removing the cylinder of a revolver and shipping it separately is glaringly dumb. You're still shipping the revolver in two packages and the one with the serialized frame is illegal for you to ship as anything but a handgun. Note: the slide, frames, and barrels of all Glock handguns have serial numbers on them. However, the one that counts is the one on the frame. If you think you have a Glock without a serial number on the frame, take the grips off and look again....they all have a serial number on the frame somewhere.

Boolit Master
    Taking the cylinder out of a revolver doesn’t change anything relating to how it qualifies for shipping. The frame is the gun no matter how many pieces you remove. Anyone that tells you otherwise is either ignorant of the law or just pulling your leg in hopes for your $$$.

It’d probably work 99% to just ship it. No one will ever be the wiser but that doesn’t mean you’re following the shippers rules.

Boolit Master
    I have shipped a gun directly to Ruger for repair and had it shipped directly back to me after repairs. Perhaps this applies here?

Boolit Master

The "firearm" serialized part is what the BATFE says it is.

If you ship a firearm direct to a FFL for work or repair they can ship it back to you....under Federal Law. Some Left Leaning states may have more restrictive laws, sucks to be you if you live in one of those.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    I have shipped a gun directly to Ruger for repair and had it shipped directly back to me after repairs. Perhaps this applies here?
    I've done the same. As long as it is too the manufacturer I know that's legal. Not sure about a gunsmith.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    I've done the same. As long as it is too the manufacturer I know that's legal. Not sure about a gunsmith.
    As long as you ship to a FFL and it's for work or repair, they can send it directly back to you. Under Federal law any way.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast