MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Boolit mold for a Nagant that slugs .315

Vendor Sponsor

Boolit mold for a Nagant that slugs .315

Does anyone have a recommendation for a boolit mold for a Nagant that is slightly over sized? I slugged the barrel twice and came up with .315 both times. The rifling looks good but it was hard to find on the slug. The slug also dropped a disconcerting amount in a couple of places with just slight pressure on the rod.

Thanks,
    B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...vity-gc-316299

Have not used this mold but others may chime in. I use the Lyman 314299 for my M/N.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Vendor Sponsor
    I looked at that one and the brass version as well. I’m just nervous about spending that kind of money on a mold to have my rifle hate it.

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 8mm bullets in my Arisaka; my bore is .317”. I size my bullets down to .318”. Lee sells .314” sizing dies that can be sanded/honed to the size you need.

I size and seat a gas check on a Lyman 323470 in one stroke on my press. My alloy is homemade Lyman #2 (5 SN/5 SB/90 PB); my rifle has Metford rifling and seems to be a bit more accurate with this alloy. I do tumble lube with 45/45/10 before I size and seat the gas check. I tumble lube again after sizing. I load these over 16gr of 2400.

I have also removed the gas check shank on a Lee 324-175-1R. I used a 21/64ths drill bit which is .004” oversized, but the bullet sizes down just fine. This is the cheapest option. Twenty-five dollar mold, no gas check, ten minutes at the drill press, 8.5 grains of Unique, all day plinking fun.

JM

i shoot the NOE 316299 in a 1936 Tula Ex-Sniper with a sewerpipe barrel that slugs .3155 with very good accuracy. 5” groups of so at 100 yards, which is fantastic considering the horrible condition the barrel is in.

Super Moderator

I also use the NOE 314299, as well as Accurate's version with a flat tip. Both molds will cast at .315 no problem, and I size to .314 for my MN. 16-18 grains of 2400 is what I typically use.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jugulater View Post
    i shoot the NOE 316299 in a 1936 Tula Ex-Sniper with a sewerpipe barrel that slugs .3155 with very good accuracy. 5” groups of so at 100 yards, which is fantastic considering the horrible condition the barrel is in.
    That looks like the direction I’ll be going then. I can order 100 pre-cast for about $20. If it likes them then I’ll jump off into a mold. Thank you for the advice.

Happiness is a warm .45

The biggest issue you may encounter is chamber size. i have never personally had the issue but ive heard stories of Mosins with large groove diameters but wouldnt chamber loaded rounds with properly sized boolits. i doubt this is a common issue as my '36 tula chambers loaded rounds with ~.316 without issue.

the 7.62x54R is a fantastic round for cast boolits in my personal experience.

Vendor Sponsor
    I’m hoping so. I would like to be able to hunt with mine in the near future but with ammo prices what they are I can’t afford to practice enough to be comfortable taking any game with it.

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Buddy
    LBT made a mold for me. My Mosin slugged .315 and the mold is a 205 gr. paper patch. But as mentioned earlier, the loaded rounds wouldn't chamber.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE 316-299 and use it in my MN's with larger bores as well as my .303's.
    I powder coat most of them and shoot them GC'ed.
    The rifles do like that slug.
    But before I got the NOE mold I lapped out several Lee .312 molds to .316.
    They did work well , and those were shot both PC'ed and lubed.

Boolit Master
    Bantou,

I have a 1942-dated 91/30 with a large bore. I found the Lee C312-185-1R mikes .314 as cast. I shoot it that way and get very good accuracy with IMR4198. My Lyman #311467 drops from the mould at .314 and also is shot as cast after lubing with 4198. I hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Master

Mine slugged .314.
    I had a special sizer die made in .315.
    I sized down some .321 bullets to .315 with no ill effects...dale