Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Free custom SAA grips. One upping jonp!!

Boolit Master

Free custom SAA grips. One upping jonp!!

Haha!! Time to one up jonp’s wonderful offer of free lead, and offer up a set of custom SAA grip kit or grips. Now, the title is in jest and jonp did a great thing. Now I’d like to tag along and hopefully brighten up someone’s mandatory corona staycation.

What I’m offering today is a set of custom made one piece grips for a SAA revolver or clones. This can go 3 ways:

1) Send me your grip frame (I have Uberti, Pietta, and Colt cylinder frames to slave them to) and I’ll fit and finish a nice set of book matched, one piece ( glued with spacer) grips and send them back to you.

2) Send me a tracing of your grip frame and I’ll cut all the pieces, knock out 90% of profiling, and send it all to you to complete final fit, assembly, and finish.

3) Ruger single actions send a tracing and I’ll send you a set of rough sized, profiled panels along with screws and escutcheons to make them yourself.

My grips are guaranteed to get you phone numbers from hot women at the range, just sayin. They also improve accuracy by no less than 5,000%.

The woods you can choose from are maple, Claro walnut, or Bastogne walnut. I’ll send the winner pictures to choose from.

I’ll let this run until 1200 Sunday and choose a winner.

To participate, tell us a funny hunting, fishing, or shooting story. Must be a forum member for at least one year.

Grips I’ve made:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5AA78740-A896-4579-B923-C26DA83CC62D.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	261007

Name:	C8E51C84-EC1A-43EF-B1FB-30EB1B8907BE.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	261008

Name:	48C44E65-6653-4B43-BDA9-D6A3635E33BE.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	261009

Name:	30610C59-AA56-418E-A726-9942280A5BD8.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	261010

Name:	0056F838-7ED4-4FD8-B37C-0271CFB02A9E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	261011

This didn't happen to me, I think it's a joke from yesteryear but here goes...

A fella and his buds go fishing on their annual trip...no wives, no leg-irons to hold them down.
    It's a guy thing, hooks never get wet but the fellas sure can drink a lot of beer, horse around the local bars and act single-n-silly.
    About the 3'rd day in, one of the fellas calls home and asks the wife if she packed him any extra underwear?
    She said, "Of course I did Honey...they're in your tackle box!"

Oooooops!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Nice work, Love Life.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    When I lived in Little Rock one of my staff members went to a wedding on his wife’s side. It was not to far from town done at the family farm, had a bit of a river running through the property, very nice. He said they had a great time, but late in the afternoon a few of them decided to hunt some squirrels. They got into canoes and headed down the river, still in their wedding attire. Shot at a couple and then decided they’d do better if they got out of the boats. So walking through the woods and they’re getting a few. Keep walking, drinking and shooting. Now after about 30 min he says he started to realize that something was wrong. First he noticed that the trees had thinned out, then the ground had gotten flat, but it wasn’t until they walked up to a sand trap that they realize that they’d been hunting a fairway at the Country Club of Little Rock. They did get a free ride home, but were unable to retrieve the squirrels.

This was from my deer hunt in PA back in 2018....it was comical and one of my favorite moments in the woods.

redhawk

OK...so my day started before daylight. I decided last night to hunt in the same area I have been hunting all week, except another 100 yards west on another ridge where I've been seeing deer but haven't been able to get a shot.

I walked to the ridge in the dark and found a nice triple tree, by head lamp, to stand under. It was on the edge of a ravine where it filters on to the top flat bench on the mountain.

About 8:20am I heard a twig snap and looked up to be staring directly at a doe just 40 yards away. She came around a small knoll and surprised me. She was alarmed but she didn't know why. She just knew something was amiss in the area. She bobbed her head up and down, stomped her front legs, her body was twitching, and her tail was swinging from side to side....Chubby Checker would have been proud...She was doing everything she could to get me to move. Behind her came 4 other doe...all of which seemed on the alert but not overly so. They would scratch at the ground and browse on the roots and various other low greens but look up regularly to see if there was anything to be alarmed about. But the first doe just stood and stared dancing around trying to get me to move. In my mind....I could envision what the other deer were saying "What's wrong with ma?"...."I dunno...she might be havin' a seizure again" (said with a PA deer redneck accent) These thoughts made me laugh inside but I couldn't let it out for fear of moving.

Now...this went on for 3-4 minutes (an eternity when trying to be still)....she finally lowered her head and began to browse herself...but would still raise her head and stare in my direction regularly. She moved to within 20 yards now and put her body behind a tree so I couldn't see her. She turned her head and was looking right at me again but I could only see 1/2 of her eyeball that was blocked by the tree. It dawned on me that she was using the fixed stationary tree as a reference point looking passed it to see ANY movement that I might make. Now I slowed my breathing since she was watching so closely. Another 3-4 minutes passed.

It was then that the other 4 deer joined her and they all started walking toward me feeling less that there was a threat in the area. Unbeknownst to me...The triple tree that I choose as my stand was right on their trail. (walked in during the dark....remember?) They all moved within 12 feet of me before I thought..."that's close enough". I shifted my weight from one leg to the other to cause a little movement and there was a snort and waving white flags. At this point I just started laughing out loud at the thought of Chubby Checker and the What's wrong with ma? thoughts from earlier.

It was a VERY enjoyable morning...entertaining for sure....just thought I'd share.

Oh...before you ask...I had already got my doe on Monday...so I was hunting for antlers the rest of the week. These 5 didn't qualify.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Deer hunting in SE Oklahoma, south of Wister Lake, probably 1996 or so.

I'm in an open forest at sunup, sitting with my back to a scrub bush. I'm looking down a gentle slope towards a thicket maybe 300 yds downslope. The ground is covered with a thick layer of dried leaves, I can hear anything moving for hundreds of yards. Nothing is going to sneak past me.

I see a movement out of the corner of my eye. I look carefully to my left, without moving my head, and there is a fawn standing 3 feet away, just looking at me. I have no idea how it got there without me seeing or hearing it, or for how long it had been standing there.

Apparently, this young (current year) fawn had never seen a human before this morning. It looked at me for perhaps a minute, then started walking around me. It maintained a distance of about 8 feet, slowly walked a complete circle around me, looking and sniffing in my direction.

I didn't move my head, and had my eyes closed to just a slit, trying to avoid spooking next years prey. I as doing my best "scrub bush" impression, projecting innocence and trying to fart a shrubby smell.

The fawn completed its circumnavigation of the strangest scrub it ever saw, and hearing something off to one side, it trotted off across the open forest floor. Strange thing, it was easily heard on the way out, it was rustling the leaves as one would think.

To this day I have no idea if the fawn was there hiding in the bushes when I sat down, or somehow soundlessly teleported to my location. It was certainly bizarre.

Boolit Grand Master

without lead what ya going to use if for?
    Nice looking grips, did I ever tell you about the time I shot 2 deer, a groundhog and a beaver with one ricochet?
    Last edited by jonp; 04-28-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I’ll tell my story.

So a few years back a buddy of mine moved from the people’s republic of Massachusetts to the land of milk and honey Idaho.
    He fulfilled a lifelong dream of living in the mountains loaded with fish and game and living the rest of his life in the type of place people went for once in a lifetime hunts.

Shortly after he invited me for a week to do some roaming in the mountains and whatever hunting we could scratch up.
    I figured we would be all set. Tons of game. Tons of fish.
    I was wrong. It was a terrible year. Water levels were so low. Forest fires everywhere.
    On the first night we went roaming through mountain roads and looking at the beautiful sights and spotting some game.
    I was so excited to be in a part of the country that I always dreamed to seeing. Living the life that Elmer Keith wrote so fondly about. I pictured us eating small game and trout over the fire with good whiskey and plenty of six gun plinking in the side.

Well it didn’t go that way. I should have known from that first night there that this trip would be nothing if funny.

As we crested a hill my buddy jacked on the brakes and pointed out in front of the truck. There it was I thought. Our first dinner. It was a beautiful little grouse.
    I jumped out and snagged an auto loading 20 gauge and slide a few shells into it.
    I was feeling pretty confident as I had just started my upland season at home and was doing really well with a scattergun.
    I started walking closer when my buddy said I should just take a shot so I didn’t scare dinner off. Well I unloaded the shotgun and the grouse flew off into the sunset unscathed.
    To make a long story short the rest of our trip went this way. We had a shotgun looking in his little grouse honey holes when we saw deer and we had rifle on us when we were in the sweet spots for deer and saw nothing but grouse.
    The only game I ended up shooting was a small very angry squirrel. Let me tell you they don’t hold up like the grey squirrels back home. The shot pretty much tore him up and the meat was more than tainted by his insides.

A few weeks later I’m home and have told a thousand stories about Idaho when I get an email from my friend. Of course he copied everyone that knew us and attached the picture seen below.
    I still get text from him every couple of months to remind me of that awesome trip and my amazing wing shooting.

Name:	5A47C93A-8FAC-40C2-8CFD-664E394F1031.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	261423

If the picture is a little fuzzy it’s a paper plate “plaque” nailed to a tree that reads

On October 29th 2015
    Michael Spangler emptied a Franchi 48L 20 gauge @ multiple grouse and collected nothing but empties off the ground @ this location.

Boolit Master
    2 years late, but Redhawk is the winner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    2 years late, but Redhawk is the winner!!
    PM sent...Thanx....

It's been a rough few years...the company I work for issued new laptops and block all "weapons" related links from getting through. I have to check on the home PC (which isn't often) in order to get to Castboolits any longer.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    PM sent...Thanx....

It's been a rough few years...the company I work for issued new laptops and block all "weapons" related links from getting through. I have to check on the home PC (which isn't often) in order to get to Castboolits any longer.

redhawk
    It's been an interesting couple of years for us all, lol. I apologize for the long absence.