Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Pro Melt 2 Drip

Boolit Master

Pro Melt 2 Drip

I had occasional drips with my Pro Melt 2 so I got the free upgrade valve pin. It has a much fatter tip, with a larger sealing surface and leaks more. I cleaned the pot and spout really well and checked the alignment of the original valve pin. The valve/spout must be crooked with the pot because the valve pin is centered in the valve when the top of the pin is about 3/16" back and 1/8" right it's the original position. It won't fully close otherwise. I lapped the valve/pin with 1200 grit diamond in oil. I drilled a new pin hole in the lever to the right of where it was and attached the left side behind the slot where it should go. I ran 2 pots of alloy today and not a drip.

The valve may have come that way from the factory or may have tilted as the pot broke in. It was better at the start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ProMelt.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Something looks strange about the way the left side of the actuator is mounted. Looks like it should be in the slot and then the screw installed. Or was that the misalignment you are refering to? Seems like RCBS took a giant leap to the rear with this "new improved" design.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Something looks strange about the way the left side of the actuator is mounted. Looks like it should be in the slot and then the screw installed. Or was that the misalignment you are refering to? Seems like RCBS took a giant leap to the rear with this "new improved" design.
    That was what it took to get the valve pin to line up with the valve body in the bottom of the pot. Straight up and down the valve won't close all the way. I don't see the Pro Melt 2 coming back so this is for the the few who have one. Truly Rare!
    Mal

Boolit Buddy
    Truly disappointed in RCBS. I have always had great results with their products but it looks like they dropped the ball with the new casting pots.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DAE72E2-E83F-4BF4-BFB4-1F00BF927DED.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	261230the handle is installed wrong, take another look at the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats what I was referring to in my previous post.

Boolit Master

Truly disappointed in RCBS. I have always had great results with their products but it looks like they dropped the ball with the new casting pots.
    They did not really drop the ball they just had to design their own pot, the first pot was designed by a company they bought. Casted about 5,000 bullets so far works good..

Boolit Master

They did not really drop the ball they just had to design their own pot, the first pot was designed by a company they bought. Casted about 5,000 bullets so far works good..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DAE72E2-E83F-4BF4-BFB4-1F00BF927DED.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	261230the handle is installed wrong, take another look at the manual.
    My pot will not work that way because the valve does not line up. I thought bending the bottom of the pot so the valve was square was chancy. I moved the top position of the rod instead.

RCBS's idea to fix the problem was to make a new valve pin with the bottom of the pin larger so it plugs the top of the valve rather than fitting inside. Does Not Work.

This is a poorly made chinese pot but it does hold 25 pounds of alloy and I have made the repairs that make it work well. If it doesn't look like the manual that is RCBS's fault.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    My pot will not work that way because the valve does not line up. I thought bending the bottom of the pot so the valve was square was chancy. I moved the top position of the rod instead.

RCBS's idea to fix the problem was to make a new valve pin with the bottom of the pin larger so it plugs the top of the valve rather than fitting inside. Does Not Work.

This is a poorly made chinese pot but it does hold 25 pounds of alloy and I have made the repairs that make it work well. If it doesn't look like the manual that is RCBS's fault.
    First let go of the Chinese pot thing. Almost everything we have is made in China. From you picture the bar is installed wrong so that needs to be fixed. The new rod to stop the drip works. If you were down the street I would gladly come fix it. But I left California 36 years ago never to return. Just make IT look like the picture and everything will be fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    First let go of the Chinese pot thing. Almost everything we have is made in China. From you picture the bar is installed wrong so that needs to be fixed. The new rod to stop the drip works. If you were down the street I would gladly come fix it. But I left California 36 years ago never to return. Just make IT look like the picture and everything will be fine.
    No it won't. It leaks in that position because it is NOT lined up with the hole in the bottom of the pot. The tip of the pin is straight and binds in the valve body if it isn't lined up. IT DOES NOT LINE UP IN THE FACTORY POSITION.

I said poorly made chinese.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    No it won't. It leaks in that position because it is NOT lined up with the hole in the bottom of the pot. The tip of the pin is straight and binds in the valve body if it isn't lined up. IT DOES NOT LINE UP IN THE FACTORY POSITION.

I said poorly made chinese.

Okay your out there in California call RCBS. I have no problem with my China pot or cell phone.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats sad. I wonder if RCBS would send free parts to correct it. Might be worth a call.

Boolit Master
    I ran it all day yesterday, not a drip. The valve design works but manufacturing was not good enough to pull it off. I simply centered the pin in the valve and moved the linkage to match.

The replacement pin increases the sealing surface, is less effective and leaves a pool of lead inside the valve between the pin and the spout.
    Mal

Boolit Buddy
    Its great that you whooped it. I believe I would still give them a call along with a pic and see if they would send a replacement pot. At any rate, you fixed the problem. Is yours an early unit? Seems like I remember that sales was suspended for a while because of problems, maybe that was the problem.

Boolit Master
    Mine is number 65. It was a preorder from Brownelles on a dollars off special. The order took so long I bought an original Pro Melt that was not working and fixed it. I lost 2 PID controlled Lee 4-20s in the Soberanes Fire and was jonesing from not casting for a year and a half. The old Pro Melt still needs a PID. It has an Inkbird that never was quite right. I'll get another Auber, what I had before. Having backup will keep the new one running. LOL

Between the 2 Pro Melts I recast all the lead from the fire and a few hundred pounds more. I still haven't used anything but my own cast for the last 10 years.

I processed the fire recovery lead outside in a big pot first but I think enough mystery metal got through and the Pro Melt 2 had accumulated slag before I cleaned it the first time last week. That didn't fix the problem so I cleaned it again and fit the valve dry. The valve pin did not line up with the linkage.
    Mal

Boolit Master

I bought a pro melt 2 and it dripped right off the bat , took awhile to get a response from rcbs , but they sent out newer rod and so far it will only drip a bit every now and then . Glad you are getting it to work , but I agree they could have made a better design .
    But I have used the 10 lb and 20 lb lee pots fro a long time so dripping is nothing new . And yes I still have my lee pots and still use them from time to time.

Boolit Master
    Well at least my PM2 doesn't drip ! Won't heat for snot, but no drips !
    Have to re-program the "PID" when I plug it in - reads about 120 deg off
    Temp probe must be right beside the element - "PID" reads 750, alloy still solid
    I say "PID" because I'm still not convinced it's not just a digital readout for a Lee type thermostat.
    Takes 45 + min to get to temp - old PM1 took maybe 20 min.
    So, an hour before I want to cast I plug in the pot, program the "PID", go drink coffee and surf here for an hour.
    Casts great once everything hot and running(just don't put in too much cold alloy - takes forever to recover).
    Disappointed ? Yes !
    Can I cast good boolets ? Yes
    Life goes on
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.