Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Marlin 336 trigger pull weight?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

What is your Marlin 336 trigger pull weight?

I checked my 1970 Marlin 336 today chambered in 35 Rem. I figured since I'm getting ready for it to shoot cast for the first time I wanted to go through it. Before I polished the trigger group the pull buried my old RCBS manual scale that went about a quarter inch below 72 oz or so. After polishing I got it breaking at three and a half pounds. I thought that was pretty good for a lever gun. I probably don't want it much lighter but it does anybody make straight trigger spring kit for it? Kind of curious what everybody else is trigger brakes from Factory on these. I also went through got a scope mounted up today and use some of the new Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner. It sure isn't like gunslick foam. l let it soak for almost an hour and I still had to push patches through to loosen the powder residue and remove it. The orange foam never turned colors or showed any signs of powder residue. I didn't have any copper following which shocked me. I bought the gun 10 years ago from a buddy who bought it from a pawn shop that I believe original owner never shot the gun. I put Maybe 20 or 30 rounds through it but I figured I would least get a little copper out of it but only had powder fouling. I would assume I have a nice smooth bore on it. I tried some 180 hot cores out of it when i first bought it. I had 7/8", 100 yard groups out it. Hope it shoots just as good with cast.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-24-2020 at 10:12 PM.

You can bend the trigger return spring to lighten the pull. There is a how to thread on the Marlin Owners Forum.

BB

Boolit Master
    My 35 Rem is heavy. My 44 is light. Guess I need to go read that thread.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Using full or extra power hammer spring I can usually get my Marlins down to a crisp 2.75-3 lbs by carefully stoning using extra fine ceramic stones. There is some of the 'slack' people fuss about but the actual pull is very good. The slack or slop can easily be removed several ways, but I never found it affected anything in actual use. I have a 45-70, 444, a couple 35 Rem's. a couple 32 Special's and at least one 30-30 that have very nice triggers in 3 lb range. All have standard factory or Wolf extra power hammer springs. The Marlin's trigger plate give you a simple hammer/sear/trigger jig to check your sear engagement when stoning/polishing engagement surfaces.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i went your route tripp, and ended up doing a bit too much polishing, and having to visit ebay for parts to fit my 1949... i was like, Opps.. i did the drop on the butt test and yikes!!!! would not hold the hammer at all.. thought about getting a new wide lever for use with gloves, but couldnt get one to fit... now the trigger is a pretty hardy 4lbs... like you, mine did not register on the scale when I first got it, but in my case it was due to gunk, crud, and lack of maintenance under the hood for a 70+ year old gun..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I really didn't take a lot of material off. I brushed all the contact surfaces up against my extra fine Stone about 20 or 30 times and Polished it with a dremel. I didn't want to remove to much metal and end up buying replacement parts. It brakes at 56 oz pretty consistently now. Id like a cool looking wider lever loop for mine but the prices are ridiculous for them. I did have a j word sub MOA load with this gun years ago with the heavy trigger the first time i tested it. I'm sure it will improve now.

I never did a drop test. Just did. Im good. I will say the lever pops forward though. I had a limbsaver pad put on it years ago thats about an 1" thick to aborb recoil. I installed it for my pops and girlfriends kid at the time.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-25-2020 at 10:14 AM.

I noticed this morning when I tested it again it jumped up to a even 4lb pull consistently. Between the heavier pull in the loop wanting to open when I banged it on the floor I wanted to take it apart and try and lighten the trigger a little bit more and see why the loop was opening. I changed the angle of the sear, polished it, and put it back in and it started pulling at the same heavy 74 plus Oz like before I started. I took it apart two more times and kept changing the angle. It now breaks at 2 and 3/4 pounds consistently. My goal was 3 pounds. The action does not open up when banging on the floor anymore and the hammer does not drop no matter how hard I bang the buttstock. I do notice I have a hair creep every once in a while (about 1 in e every half a dozen tests) and I'm not going to worry about it at that light a trigger pull. I'll never notice it when I'm out hunting in cold weather. My guess it might even wear and go away with use.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-25-2020 at 12:30 PM.

I just like yesterday it already jumped in weight and trigger creep is completely gone. It settled at 3 a crisp pounds. Ill take that.

Boolit Master
    I suggest a good grease for the sear trigger contact surface. Most auto wheel bearing grease or something like Lubriplate work, but very little and just on the contact surfaces. I like a moly grease. There are synthetic greases that work way below zero. Again, just on the sear trigger interface.

Thanks, I put some Shooter's Choice red grease that came in a syringe on it yesterday. It already looked a little dried out so I sprayed everything down with REM oil when taking apart and reassembling today

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards -

Howdy !

*** I have a M-336 XLR .35 Rem from the last couple years production @ the CT factory.
    It somehow escaped the factory w/ a 1.5 oz ( yes ounce ) trigger !

I DK the why or how of that, but was tickled to have come across that particular rifle !
    I wanted one for a while, but did not fork over the $$$ until I read that Remington was buying a Marlin.

Didn’t want the rifle for hunting live game. Just for load experiments and target work @100, w/ an eye towards showing just how accurate a lever action might be able to shoot ( group ). I have been shooting bolt action target rifles w/ 2oz triggers for decades, and the 1.5 oz trigger on my XLR was right up my alley. My confidence in being able to shoot great groups w/ the rifle was boosted exponentially.

.35 Rem has case capacity that puts sensible powder options squarely in the span of what many consider to be “ benchrest powders” ( H4198, IMR8208, LT-32, VV-133; etc ).

Below is a video link of me setting off the trigger using the wide flat side of a toothpick, which would not set off the 2oz trigger on my bolt rifle.

Again..... I’m not using my XLR in the field on live game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loA56GkRuw4&feature=plcp

With regards,
    357Mag

Remington would have a field day with that. I bet it doesn't pass the drop test.

Boolit Master
    I dropped a reduced power hammer spring in my 1973 Glenfield and stoned the sear a little. Made a big difference for little work. Darn thing actually has some "good creep" in it now. That means you can feel the sear falling off the hammer hook but cannot stop it. I would guess it to be about 4 pounds which is about right for a hunting or defensive gun.

Lever has a detent to keep the lever closed. Put a happy trigger in mine, bushed trigger pin. Never measured it but can tell the difference.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

When I bought my Marlin 336cs the trigger pull was off the scale on the RCBS trigger pull gauge.
    Took it to a gunsmith and I asked for a 3.5 pound trigger and got a beautiful 3 pound 6 oz. trigger pull.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Just to give you an idea how bad the trigger pull was on my Marlin, when I'd pull the trigger, the hammer would go back an 1/16 of an inch before the trigger would release.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Just to give you an idea how bad the trigger pull was on my Marlin, when I'd pull the trigger, the hammer would go back an 1/16 of an inch before the trigger would release.
    Thought I was the only one who had this issue. Guess not.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

My grit trigger job seemed to get heavy at the range today after shooting about 50 rounds through it. I’ll have to pull out my scale and check it again.

I still pulled off some decent 100 yards groups for the first go around with cast through it. It felt like a good 5 pounds or more today. I might have to polish it again.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I think the idea is so as you squeeze the trigger you have tie to whistle a song while thinking how you will spend the rest of the day.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I noticed my trigger pull was getting pretty heavy at the range. I just measured it and it was breaking close to 5 lb. So whatever I did with my polishing didn't last very long. I've been reading the last couple days on Marlin forums.com that you can bend the return spring to lighten the pull as well. It said to measure the return spring pull weight after bending the spring and try and get it around a pound. My first try with bending the trigger return pull spring was about 8 to 10 oz when it flatten flush on my trigger pull scale. I figured I'd reassemble it and give it a try. My trigger now breaks at a crisp 2.25 lb! It’s hard to tell will my rcbs manual scale but it’s between 34 and 36 oz. Holy moly what a difference!!! Before I put the stock back on I smacked the action with a 1x2 several times and the trigger never went off. After I reassemble the stock on I dropped it up and down on my for a couple dozen times and it never went off as well I should be good to go.

Can’t wait to retest my above groups with the lighter trigger. I’m hoping it will drop me down to sub MOA.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-08-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast