Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did I do Wrong?

Pan - yes large oversized will sometimes scrape the PC. I found one-shot ($$) or BLL (really light coat) makes sizing MUCH easier with almost no distortion or scraping. Might try some cheap liquid auto wax - just a tiny bit - I use ~ 4-5 DROPS - not drips per 100. Water works but then the sizer can rust - bad.
    PC can take most any over temp cooking BUT if close to slump temp the alloy acts funny and the PC will peel off in strips. I've cooked PC for 1.5 hrs proper temp - no problem.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    personaly I think its a waste of time to stand up every little bullet in a nice neat row. Toss them on a cookie sheet and bake them. You get a few that stick together and cant be broke apart.No big deal just toss them back in the pot. this isn't rocket science. I do mine in a vibrating brass cleaner. I go a bit longer then you do. About 30 minutes. I bake them for about the same amount of time and do it at 420 because an oven set at 400 drops below 400 to much of the time. But that doesn't cause the light coverage look. That is in your paint. Id suggest you look at what "Smoke" sells and suggests. his powders are proven performers
    Glad someone said this ever heard the phrase KISS
    you can complicate anything.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    The drop rag is suspect - I'd drop to a clean metal cookie-type pan. The crowded basket can be trouble - parchment paper in a pan is good and easy, crumpled and flattened a couple of times, just drop them from a kitchen strainer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM_NY View Post
    Conditor22,

I've heard that yellow is a difficult color to PC. What brand and specific color are you using?
    Adding a little of another color to yellow helps it coat better

Boolit Master

Just a suggestion on the procedures I follow. Bring all your PC paraphernalia for the shake part of the process into air conditioning. Eliminates the humidity problem. I use an empty 2 lb pistol powder container (# 2 on the bottom) with a screw-on lid with the bbs Smoke sells. I fill it nearly full with boolits, roll in on the floor, shake it around, then pour everything out into a plastic bowl with holes in the bottom and shake excess powder & bbs into bottom bowl. Dump boolits onto parchment paper which is in a basket I ordered off Amazon. Do all this in my basement using a mask to keep from breathing the PCing dust. Baking is done outside. Have only enjoyed success with this method. Big Boomer

Boolit Master

Its NOT ROCKET science!!

Lloyd given it to ya straight.

The idea is to generate static. Do wjat ever ys need to accomplish this and the powder will stick.

BUT!! BUT also as mentioned NOT ALL POWDERS work S&B!!

Smokes will sell ya powders HE KNOWS WORK with S&B!!

Now Eastwood FLB IS A VERY EASY powder and almost works TOO GOOD at times. Meaning ya get a VERY HEAVY coat if ya aint careful!! Heavie coats STICK TO EVERYTHING!!!

Swirl dont shake.

Its said #5 recycling plastics are best. (#2 work perfectly for me)

Plastic BB or beads simply increase surface area. This promotes more static faster. Neith with or with out is wrong.

Try smaller batches keep SINGLE layer on the baking tray at first. Till
    You perfect your task.

Also WARMING your bullets can be a deal changer. I simply place the basket with the qualtity wanted on top Of the oven as it warms.

GET A THERMOMETER!! KNOW dont guess at the temp.

Longer baking GENERALLY isnt a issue but too short SURELY can be!

DONT handle your bullets before coating.

A long handles soup spoon is a very usedul tool.

Use CLEAN WATER to quench. This WILL NOT cause you issues. (As long as the bullets are dry)

Clean towels also help ya!

Bake on a tray bake in a basket. Bake standing up or laying down. Its NOT GONNA EFFECT OUTCOME!! Only difference will be looks and depending upon your level of OCD... It is what it is. But know its not gonna effect preformance.

Here is most of my process:

https://youtu.be/w6lDHPWbyPc

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12