Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To grease or not to grease c/b revolver

Boolit Master

I had a 58 rem. replica when a teen , I used all kinds of lube over the balls , fired it without to and that is the only times I experienced chain fires , I have used number 10 caps and squeezed down and pinched them since I wanted no misfires , I am of the opinion try both methods for yourself and see which you prefer or which one you have or do not have chain fires with.

Have only one rem. replica now a 36 caliber I bought from a gunshop and have never shot , I prefer my colt replicas , and use a home made lube . There have been may threads on this and never seen a agreement yet , so do it how you like to.

Boolit Man
    I really thank all who replied. At the present my thoughts run to using some kind of home made wad, probably cut with a 45 colt case. I have several sheets of 1/16" beeswax that I may try.
    Last edited by Gaseous Maximus; 05-19-2020 at 02:47 AM.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Grease it . I don't use wads .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    When I was young, my father had an original Remington .44. I fired it quite a bit without grease. I also experienced chain fire a couple times. Very impressive. I always wondered why it only fired five cylinders and never the bottom sixth.

(That gun's mine now along with a couple .36s and a .31)

Boolit Buddy
    My take on lube I make wads and cookies. I live in Ca where it is hot and dry so I make my wad lube stiff 50/50 beeswax Crisco and use olive oil to adjust the mix depending on what time of year. I find that if I prep my gun before shooting it gives my lube a head start. I lube the barrel, ratchet, and arbor with wonder patch lube. I have been doing this for a long time and it worked good. Putting a small amount of Crisco between my wad and ball also worked well. One sleepless night I found an article by Ed Harris about cleaning cap and ball revolver with hand cleaner. In the article Ed states that you can use a hand cleaner on top of your loaded chambers for lube. The hand claner is very slick and melts black powder fouling on contact. Using wads or COW and a little hand cleaner on top my loads kept barrel yery clean and accuracy was very god as well. Link to Ed's article. https://www.camp22.org/black-powder-...ball-revolvers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123