Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: List of supplies to PC tumble and dump method

Boolit Master

List of supplies to PC tumble and dump method

So with 11 weeks off from work I've decided to try and PC finally. Wanted to make a list as I couldn't find a comprehensive one but most threads describe enough to get the idea. Please let me know if I missed something or comments. Thanks DWD

• Powder from Smoke_Smoke4320
    • Toaster Oven
    • Thermometer to verify_Amazon
    • silicon baking sheet_Amazon
    • various size baskets_Amazon
    • Air soft BB's if needed_Smoke
    • Pan bigger than basket to catch left over powder_Dollar General, Tree, kitchen, etc...
    • appropriate tupper ware/tub with lid
    • and lastly the b00lits

Boolit Master

at least you know to start with a proven powder. I would just get some non-stick aluminum foil and stand the boolits individually before you go down the dump method path, that way you can see what a really good coating and bake job looks like. down the road if you want to do huge batches fine but start slow and get the variables worked out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Great advice Rancher! I will definitely do this.

I started out with BB's but have found I didn't need them. I do the dump method and have found they are rougher than when I stand them up, so I'll probably go back to doing that way. The silicone mat is a good idea, I just got some and they are nice. Get some Cool Whip tubs, they seem to work better than others I've tried (but, that might just be me) plus you get some topping for the Cherry Pie you'll need for all the Cool Whip.

Banned
    Powder from Smoke_Smoke4320 ---- this is a safe bet to begin with there are many other good sources when you know what to look for --- generally any polyester TGIC high gloss powder will work, whites, yellows, tans don't always cover that well. There is a thread that lists powders that work.
    Toaster Oven --- works but convection oven will bake more evenly and handle larger loads
    Thermometer to verify_Amazon --- or anywhere you can get a thermometer to confirm oven setting
    silicon baking sheet_Amazon --- you can use parchment paper, non-stick foil or just set them on/in office organizer baskets
    various size baskets_Amazon --- I'd get the biggest one (s) that fit in the oven
    Airsoft BB's if needed_Smoke --- poly pellets work well also
    Pan bigger than basket to catch leftover powder_Dollar General, Tree, kitchen, etc... ---- you can make a colander to sift the powder (& BB's) out -- cheapest is pushing holes in a paper plate to drilling holes in a more solid bowl
    appropriate tupper ware/tub with lid ---- Any plastic bowl that has #5 marking (some say #2 works)with a lid [the best cheap bowl is a cool whip container
    and lastly the b00lits ---- don't quench the boolits until after you PC them. PC doesn't stick worth a darn to dirty/contaminated boolits.

Bake your coated boolits at 400° in a preheated oven for 25 min to ensure the PC has completely cured.

Now you're ready to go down the rabbit hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Smoke4320 told me to preheat to 400 and bake for 15 minutes for his powder. What is gained by heating longer?

Boolit Buddy

Add a dust mask to your list. You don't want to inhale paint particles.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I’m pretty sure I read it on here, but I use a very small amount of acetone when I’m shaking the boolits. I shake them cold, so it cuts out the pre-heat. I make sure to let the acetone COMPLETELY evaporate before baking. I put the bullets in a plastic tub with just a bit of acetone and shake a few times. Then add a small amount of PC. Keep adding acetone and pc as necessary. When you have enough pc to coat the whole bullet, lay them on a screen and let the acetone evaporate.

This may be adding more costs and steps to the operation, but it’s worked for me.

Boolit Master

the acetone is used for cleaning oils of the boolits so the pc can grab, not sure about mixing it with pc. think you may be confusing hitek and pc. getting pc powder wet is counter productive.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Absolutely no need for acetone with PC.

Agreed...no need for acetone.

You might want to add tweezers or needle-nose pliers to your list. It makes handling individual powdered PC boolits easier.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    thought i read we could use the blue latex gloves to handle after PC vs. tweezers?

Boolit Master
    Using a gloved hand to pick up the bullets is certainly possible but you touch a lot of the surface area of the bullet and knock off some PC in the process. Using tweezers allows you to pick up the bullet by the nose and place the bullets closer together on the tray.

I like the clear powders best. Coated 40k with the clear in January.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the acetone is used for cleaning oils of the boolits so the pc can grab, not sure about mixing it with pc. think you may be confusing hitek and pc. getting pc powder wet is counter productive.
    I’ve used both Hi Tek and PC.

In my experience, getting the PC to stick to the bullets in the proper amounts has been tricky at best. I’ve tried varying preheat temps and times, and I either get a very thin coat of PC or a giant messy glob that cannot be worked with. Here’s a picture of some 9mm boolits and some .40 S&W loaded rounds that I have done with the acetone. I shot a USPSA match today with the .40’s (180 Arsenal) today and have no leading in the barrel. I’m running this boolit about 975fps.

I know plenty of folks have good luck shakin and bakin or spraying PC, but I’m not one of them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85529B91-1B2D-4A2C-B84F-E2DB03497509.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	261494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85529B91-1B2D-4A2C-B84F-E2DB03497509.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	261494

Boolit Bub
    Elvis Ammo says to preheat boolits to 125 degrees before shaking in a #5 plastic container.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pan957 View Post
    Elvis Ammo says to preheat boolits to 125 degrees before shaking in a #5 plastic container.
    This is helpful IF you have high humidity

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    Smoke4320 told me to preheat to 400 and bake for 15 minutes for his powder. What is gained by heating longer?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough

The longer bake time is required for the powder coating to fully cure to prevent "contamination of double-base smokeless gunpowder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCH View Post
    I’m pretty sure I read it on here, but I use a very small amount of acetone when I’m shaking the boolits. I shake them cold, so it cuts out the pre-heat. I make sure to let the acetone COMPLETELY evaporate before baking. I put the bullets in a plastic tub with just a bit of acetone and shake a few times. Then add a small amount of PC. Keep adding acetone and pc as necessary. When you have enough pc to coat the whole bullet, lay them on a screen and let the acetone evaporate.

This may be adding more costs and steps to the operation, but it’s worked for me.
    read this

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Piglet-Method