Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull #4

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I get a little emotional over Pitbull attacks (it's called anger) since I'm walking around with a scar on my leg and I'm out over $600, plus the fact that my dog, who is a great dog that would harm no one (except squirrels) has to put up with the BS Pitbull attacks. If the word gets out that they can be vicious, then maybe the wrong types of people will stop getting them.

Ok first off Dogs for the most part are extremely loaly an protective of thier owners/ masters and what they consider their territory.

With that in mind some dog breeds are worse then others as seeing everything as a threat.

As a kid I was chased by dogs that would jump the fence if you were on the other side of the street from them.

I've had to pepper spray two dogs while wearing a uniform. 1 of those was just getting out of my patrol car at my own appartment building.

I dont care what breed of dog it is. if it charges me now it will not live to do it again.

As a dog owner since I was born. I love all animals. But I will not be bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Ok first off Dogs for the most part are extremely loaly an protective of thier owners/ masters and what they consider their territory.

With that in mind some dog breeds are worse then others as seeing everything as a threat.

As a kid I was chased by dogs that would jump the fence if you were on the other side of the street from them.

I've had to pepper spray two dogs while wearing a uniform. 1 of those was just getting out of my patrol car at my own appartment building.

I dont care what breed of dog it is. if it charges me now it will not live to do it again.

As a dog owner since I was born. I love all animals. But I will not be bit.

As a dog owner. If my dog charged you I would 100% support your decision. I love my dogs and my bulldog is my baby but if I ever see him go after a person unprovoked I’ll put him down myself. The only time I think he would be aggressive with a person though is if they were after my daughter. He watches over her like a mother hen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    As a dog owner. If my dog charged you I would 100% support your decision. I love my dogs and my bulldog is my baby but if I ever see him go after a person unprovoked I’ll put him down myself. The only time I think he would be aggressive with a person though is if they were after my daughter. He watches over her like a mother hen.

That is not neccessary unprovoked. Again some times to loyal.

Whe I was a 19 year old the family dog a Beegal adopted my little sisters. If I was teasing them he did not like it. And would warn me away.

Someone can own a pitbull, but don't be upset if I don't like it or trust it. Yippy dogs may bite more, but they don't crush skulls.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    That is not neccessary unprovoked. Again some times to loyal.

Whe I was a 19 year old the family dog a Beegal adopted my little sisters. If I was teasing them he did not like it. And would warn me away.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by unprovoked. If somebody is messing with my daughter and he gets defensive, even if they were just teasing her, then it was provoked. Dogs have a hard time differentiating between people playing and actually being aggressive. My uncle had a dog that would nip at him anytime he rough housed with us. The dog wasn’t a bad dog or aggressive in any sense of the word, he was just very protective of “his kids.” If we wanted to play rough we just put the dog up first.

Unprovoked to me is somebody just walking down the street or otherwise not giving the dog any reason to feel threatened.

Happiness is a warm .45

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    Someone can own a pitbull, but don't be upset if I don't like it or trust it. Yippy dogs may bite more, but they don't crush skulls.
    I watch Heelers a lot closer than I do pits. Typically a pit will let you know right away if it is going to be aggressive, a heeler will play nice until it is in striking range.

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    worst bite I've ever had came from a ill tempered Jack Russell if those dogs weighed 35 lbs they'd be banned the world over. I have been bitten by horses, hogs, farm dogs (mutts) even pitties JR is the winner for tenacity, to little to hit with anything and if you tried shoot it, would probably end up self inflicted wound they get right up close and bite on and shake.

I should know better, however I'm going to put in my 2 cents on the issue of pitbulls.

I retired this past July after spending 35 years working for a small city of 7,000. Half of those years, I spent working as a line crewman / service call tech. Our meters were manually read every month, a little over 3,000 of them. I was in and out of 600-700 yards per month easily.

Dog's? They're all capable of biting a person, no exceptions. Pitbulls? I've dealt with 100's of them over the years. Yes, some were dangerous, no doubt. I've also known some who are at the Rainbow Bridge waiting on their owners. They never harmed a soul their entire lives.

The single most abused, mistreated K9 I know of? Pitbulls.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I should know better, however I'm going to put in my 2 cents on the issue of pitbulls.

I retired this past July after spending 35 years working for a small city of 7,000. Half of those years, I spent working as a line crewman / service call tech. Our meters were manually read every month, a little over 3,000 of them. I was in and out of 600-700 yards per month easily.

Dog's? They're all capable of biting a person, no exceptions. Pitbulls? I've dealt with 100's of them over the years. Yes, some were dangerous, no doubt. I've also known some who are at the Rainbow Bridge waiting on their owners. They never harmed a soul their entire lives.

Murphy
    I’ll second that. Our meters are electronically read now thankfully but we still deal with dogs on a regular basis. Like I said above, I’ve noticed that a pit bull will usually make it pretty obvious right of the bat if they are going to play nice or not. I’ve run across pits that were so mean I wouldn’t even get close to the gate. I’ve also had one follow us around the neighborhood like a duckling. He would come running out when we drove by in the morning and follow us around all day while we worked. At the end of the day we would load him in the belly of the bucket and drop him off at his house. He wore my Forman out, every time my Forman put a stake down the dog would come steal it. This was followed by a five minute chase and eventual defeat. We went through a lot of stakes that week lol. The ones I hate are blue heelers. They like to play nice until you turn your back and then the devil comes out.

Happiness is a warm .45

Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    I’ll second that. Our meters are electronically read now thankfully but we still deal with dogs on a regular basis. Like I said above, I’ve noticed that a pit bull will usually make it pretty obvious right of the bat if they are going to play nice or not. I’ve run across pits that were so mean I wouldn’t even get close to the gate. I’ve also had one follow us around the neighborhood like a duckling. He would come running out when we drove by in the morning and follow us around all day while we worked. At the end of the day we would load him in the belly of the bucket and drop him off at his house. He wore my Forman out, every time my Forman put a stake down the dog would come steal it. This was followed by a five minute chase and eventual defeat. We went through a lot of stakes that week lol. The ones I hate are blue heelers. They like to play nice until you turn your back and then the devil comes out.

10-4 on those Blue Heelers. They've almost gotten all our meters swapped over to electronic as well. I understand people having fear of some breeds of dogs. And some people just fear them period. Usually they have a reason. I've had mostly nothing but bad lucky with horses my entire life. I recall maybe 3 times I ever rode a horse that it turned out okay. Back in the late 70's, I stepped out of a saddle (horse ride #3 that didn't go bad, but it was an extremely short ride) and swore I'd never get back on one. And I haven't. Seemed the smartest thing to do in my book. I don't hate em' mind you. I'll even help save one if it needs it. Dealing with dogs as we have, you have to learn about dogs in general. Their body language...etc. Running from them is pretty much a guarantee you're going to get bit, regardless of the breed.

Yes sir, when you work for a utility company that requires going in and out of yards a lot, it's best to learn dogs. Truth be told, I actually miss a lot of my 4 legged friends more than most of my former coworkers.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Randy Bohannon 100%.
    I've been chewed up. I've had 2 nasty and bloody experiences with dogs (not necessarily pit bulls) and I go nowhere without a pistol now. On the RARE instance that I set my gun down (for work), I have a 4" fixed blade on my belt in the center of my back that is handy for either hand in an instant.
    For those of you that think you can handle even a medium sized dog, think again. It is pure fury with teeth. If you have no weapon, you shove your hand as far down its throat as you can. It worked for me.
    If I feel a threat to me or mine, the dog will get a bullet even right in front of the owner

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Pitbull threads are worse than political threads.

Both sides have tons of anecdotal evidence and experiences that mean little to nothing.

I had a pit/lab mix that was a great dog and loved my kids. No issues up to the day I had to have him put to sleep at 15 years old. I have friends who have pits that scare the crap out of me and are ticking time bombs.

There's hundreds of stories of pitbull varieties being sweet for years then suddenly going nuts and killing the owner or their kids. Nobody thinks their dog is capable, until it is.

But, the hard reality of math and statistics bear out that pitbulls are aggressive and dangerous animals in general. Most insurance companies will not give you a homeowner's policy if you have a "dangerous breed" for a pet.

https://einhorninsurance.com/dangero...ity-insurance/

According to most insurance companies, the following are the more common “Dangerous Breeds” or “Blacklisted Breeds”:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
    Doberman Pinschers
    Rottweilers
    Chows
    Great Danes
    Presa Canarios
    Akitas
    Alaskan Malamutes
    German Shepherds
    Siberian Huskies
    Wolf-hybrids
    Or a mix of any of the above
    And I’m my opinion that list is a load of bull Just an insurance company’s way of trying to get more money out of you
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Murphy
    Amen to that brother
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

there it is, the real truth. Same people that owned those pit that attacked you would have a different breed if they couldn't have a pit and its would be just as mean. Another poster said theres more of them at the pound then any other dog. WHY? because there cheap to buy and low income skum that like to think there a bad you know what buy them. they have them for a year, encourage them to be mean then get tired of it and dump them or turn them loose to fend for themselves. Its not the dog that needs punishing. A dog is only what its trained to be or reverts back to its wolf genetics if not trained. If a dog bites you 9 times out of 10 its the fault of the owner not the dog. Bottom line is the only reason that pits get the rep and Dobermans and shepherds aren't heard about near as much is theres 50 pits to every doby or Shepard in this country. The trailer trash cant afford a 500 dollar Doberman or Shepard. Which by the way are very smart and gentle dogs if trained right. Like ickisrus and few others said.

A dog is just the mirror of who trained it. Doesn't matter much the bread. Pits to me are a target of people who just don't like dogs. Kind of like a liberal thinks an ar15 or glock with a 18 round mag is going to jump up off the table and kill there kid. Some claim they would fight to keep there rights to own a gun. Well I know a few that have pits that all I can say is good luck if you want to take a part of there family away. Then we have a poster that says how be you know what if im going to change where I walk because I got attacked THREE OR FOUR TIMES by a dog. Are you nuts. Would you walk a trail you knew had wolves or bears known to attack frequenting it. Would you say you aren't changing nothing if a wolf attacked!! Seems to me after the second time any intelligent person would be either moving on or come strapped! That sure sounds like an odd section of woods anyway that is lousy with pit bulls. Was it the same dog? Is there a pack? Did the police check it out? Did you report it? Id think if it was true the police would have stepped in long ago and dealt with the owners and or shot the dogs. Something just doesn't seem right. I don't know of a single person that's been attacked by dogs twice unless he was just the type the provoked them. But 3 or 4 times on the same walking trail??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    It is not the breed, it is the people attracted to the breed. I remember when Doberman Pinschers were the worst dogs out there. Then it was rottweilers. Now it is pitbulls. These breeds were all procured by the same types of people because they had the image of toughness.

My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive. In fact, they are too friendly.

Boolit Master
    All the stories of how cuddly and warm and mistreated Pitbulls are, and how all dogs can be good or bad is all well and good, but the problem is that the wrong people will keep getting them based on those BS stories. I can listen to story after story of how great and loyal they are, and how great they are with kids bla bla bla, but nothing will change the fact that my dog has been attacked by four in the last year or so - no other dog breed has attacked him. What, I just happened to come across four Pitbulls that aren't cuddy and warm? There's a reason why Pitbulls are the #1 choice of drug dealers.
    I changed my stance slightly from the beginning of my post, saying that, OK, they don't have to be banned, but they have to be monitored, even regulated, as my terrifying wolf hybrid was. Look at the stats.
    OK, I'm ready for more warm and cuddly and gentle Pitbull stories and more examples of Poodles and Jack Russell attacks.
    As far as insurance companies go - I never paid a single penny more for owning the wolf, but they almost cancelled my policy due to peeling paint on my house.
    Last edited by Battis; 04-25-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Banned

then I can say theres a lack of humanity in anyone that doesn't get attached to there dog. Its been part of human nature since we lived in caves. Mines sitting in the recliner next to me snoring away this morning. You want emotional? Tread on him!! Youd face not only me but my wife, kid, and 7 grandkids. (the rest of my family) Matter of fact you are the exact person that shouldn't have a dog in the first place. My dad taught me that a dog is a responsibility that is as much work as raising a kid and if your not willing to get emotionally involved don't get one! He shot deer, bear not dogs and hunted rabbits with his beagles that were part of our family. Never had to put one down because of behavioral problems. Ill take his way thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .

Boolit Master
    If it's got teeth, it CAN bite! The bigger the dog, the more damage they can do! It's it breed specific? Absolution not!
    Some dogs just want anyone to scratch them behind the ears an tell them there a good boy, others hate anyone not "in the pack".

I've got two, a Rat Terrier and a Blue Healer, we have worked real hard training the healer not to use his teeth on people, but will still nip, it's in his DNA! The Rat Terrier is a biter no matter what when it comes to strangers. I have an underground fence and they only leave the property to go to the vets office. So, if folks would keep their dogs on their property, there would be no problems, no matter the breed! I've been bitten (German Shephard), I carry, and will not be bitten again, but if you shoot a dog in front of its owner, you'd better be prepaid to shoot the owner as well!

Boolit Grand Master

As a retired Lineman/Serviceman I also had to enter a lot of yards. It seems ( its actually documented ) that I had more business in the worst parts of town than the better sides. I've defended myself with many things but a can of Wasp Spray seemed to work better than anything. It shoots a strong stream of juice about 20 feet and usually a shot right in front of the dog is enough to change its mind. If not, a face and mouth full will do it.

Being retired now, and having issues getting around, I carry a stout walking stick whenever I am out and about. I would not hesitate to use it on a mean dog. Or a thug. But, I wonder how a good quality stun gun ( Taser ) would work on a Pit Bull?

Like Murphy and Bantou, I could write a book about dealing with people and dogs! Hum, maybe I should?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    But, I wonder how a good quality stun gun ( Taser ) would work on a Pit Bull?
    I would imagine that if you are close enough to use it, the chances are that it has it's teeth sunk into you, and tazing the dog will result in tazing yourself, as well.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast